TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Best phone mount for Model X?

Discussion in 'Model X' started by sleepnclass, Sep 4, 2018.

1. sleepnclass

sleepnclass Member

Looking fir recommendations and preferably pictures of your setups. Thank you :)

2. tllt

tllt Member

I like my proclip dash mount. I don’t have a picture but they have pictures on the proclip site. The only downside is that it partially blocks the ac vent, but I am fine with it. It is super sturdy, can be removed cleanly, and is at a good height/angle

• Like x 3
    • Love x 1
  3. Peteski

Peteski Active Member

Why don't you just use the standard phone dock in the X? It's pretty neat and convenient.

• Like x 2
  4. DoctorVenkman

DoctorVenkman Member

The Tesla nav isn't the most reliable, especially when it comes to traffic and road closures, so some people like using their phone for navigation instead (Waze or Google Maps), The built-in dock is too low to look at while driving so they need a mount to be able to see it more easily.

• Like x 1
    • Love x 1
  5. P85_DA

P85_DA Supporting Member

EEFF004E-EF78-46CE-979A-3B91D229E315.jpeg

• Like x 2
    • Love x 2
  6. Fellsteruk

Fellsteruk Member

7. Peteski

Peteski Active Member

Ah, I see thanks. I find the latest satnav pretty awesome in the UK (much improved with the recent changes), but maybe depends on where you live? But even if it was rubbish, I think I'd still prefer it to having a phone hanging off a dash bracket!

8. Anzir

Anzir Supporting Member

What is this "standard" phone dock you're referring to? I had to order and install the Tesla phone dock myself with the USB-C connector and ended up ordering clips from skyline to fit my Note 8 (to hold against Luda launches). $34 from Tesla, $35 from Skyline.

Attached Files:

• Like x 1
  9. P85_DA

P85_DA Supporting Member

STD one is the dock plus guides ..the skyline one is better as guides and dock allow for use of case

• Informative x 1
  10. Anzir

Anzir Supporting Member

I thought standard meant included with the car... was there ever a standard phone dock?

Skyline clips came in yesterday. They work well!

Attached Files:

• Like x 2
  11. P85_DA

P85_DA Supporting Member

Yes with P100D u get two sets of guides and two cables ..those I replaced with skyline as Tesla ones don’t work with case...it comes in small box you should have gotten at delivery non p100 guys have to pay 35 for it :(

• Informative x 1
  12. jboy210

jboy210 Supporting Member

Since my phone supports QI charging, I got this one. Still have not mounted it, but it looks solid.

Dash Mounted Qi Charger

The video tab has a like to their YouTube installation video.

13. wamochi

wamochi Member

oh that is interesting! i was wondering what the heck those plastic pieces were for. question - if you have a case, how do you charge it on the installed dock? i have a pretty thin clear case on an iphone 8+ and it still makes it too thick to plug into the dock and draw power to the phone.

14. Anzir

Anzir Supporting Member

Whaaaaaat? I guess I'd better check my Frunk...

I would get the Skyline guides that I referenced in my post.

Case Friendly Universal Phone Guides - Model S/X for V2 Console

• Informative x 1
    • Love x 1
  15. sleepnclass

sleepnclass Member

Not saying it’s bad, but I do like to use Waze when I drive. It has saved me from hitting objects in the road that would have otherwise ruined my cars.

• Like x 2
  16. sleepnclass

sleepnclass Member

Admittedly it isn’t the sexiest thing but it’s safer than looking down at the cup holder

• Like x 1
  17. Peteski

Peteski Active Member

Now I'm intrigued. How does Waze save you from hitting objects in the road??? Serious question, I've never used Waze and thought it was just a good satnav, speed cam warning etc.

18. DoctorVenkman

DoctorVenkman Member

It's user-submitted. Someone can report "Debris in left lane" or something similar. They can also report accidents, road closures, speed traps, etc.

Waze will ask other drivers to verify. If no one verifies after a short period of time the report is removed. It's surprisingly accurate, especially when it has a large user base to draw from.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  19. Peteski

Peteski Active Member

Okay cheers, thought it might be along those lines. Speed trap warning sounds useful, but the rest I can easily live without so I guess I won't be needing a phone bracket, lol! Makes you think a Waze App for Tesla would be a nice touch as it seems ridiculous having a 17" touchscreen with a cell phone bodged onto the dash!

• Like x 1
  20. teethdood

teethdood Member

This looks intriguing. Have you installed it yet? Does the charging plate support Quickcharge if the power source supports QC? Thanks