Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best phone mount for Model X?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why don't you just use the standard phone dock in the X? It's pretty neat and convenient.

The Tesla nav isn't the most reliable, especially when it comes to traffic and road closures, so some people like using their phone for navigation instead (Waze or Google Maps), The built-in dock is too low to look at while driving so they need a mount to be able to see it more easily.

EEFF004E-EF78-46CE-979A-3B91D229E315.jpeg

The Tesla nav isn't the most reliable, especially when it comes to traffic and road closures, so some people like using their phone for navigation instead (Waze or Google Maps), The built-in dock is too low to look at while driving so they need a mount to be able to see it more easily.

Ah, I see thanks. I find the latest satnav pretty awesome in the UK (much improved with the recent changes), but maybe depends on where you live? But even if it was rubbish, I think I'd still prefer it to having a phone hanging off a dash bracket!

Reactions: PrGrPa
What is this "standard" phone dock you're referring to? I had to order and install the Tesla phone dock myself with the USB-C connector and ended up ordering clips from skyline to fit my Note 8 (to hold against Luda launches). $34 from Tesla, $35 from Skyline.

Attachments

• 20180829_114927.jpg
    20180829_114927.jpg
    284.7 KB · Views: 849
Reactions: Ruffles
What is this "standard" phone dock you're referring to? I had to order and install the Tesla phone dock myself with the USB-C connector and ended up ordering clips from skyline to fit my Note 8 (to hold against Luda launches). $34 from Tesla, $35 from Skyline.

STD one is the dock plus guides ..the skyline one is better as guides and dock allow for use of case

• Informative
Reactions: Kacey Green
Yes with P100D u get two sets of guides and two cables ..those I replaced with skyline as Tesla ones don’t work with case...it comes in small box you should have gotten at delivery non p100 guys have to pay 35 for it :(
oh that is interesting! i was wondering what the heck those plastic pieces were for. question - if you have a case, how do you charge it on the installed dock? i have a pretty thin clear case on an iphone 8+ and it still makes it too thick to plug into the dock and draw power to the phone.

Yes with P100D u get two sets of guides and two cables ..those I replaced with skyline as Tesla ones don’t work with case...it comes in small box you should have gotten at delivery non p100 guys have to pay 35 for it :(

Whaaaaaat? I guess I'd better check my Frunk...

oh that is interesting! i was wondering what the heck those plastic pieces were for. question - if you have a case, how do you charge it on the installed dock? i have a pretty thin clear case on an iphone 8+ and it still makes it too thick to plug into the dock and draw power to the phone.

I would get the Skyline guides that I referenced in my post.

Case Friendly Universal Phone Guides - Model S/X for V2 Console

• Love
  • Informative
Reactions: Bogobec and P85_DA
Now I'm intrigued. How does Waze save you from hitting objects in the road??? Serious question, I've never used Waze and thought it was just a good satnav, speed cam warning etc.

It's user-submitted. Someone can report "Debris in left lane" or something similar. They can also report accidents, road closures, speed traps, etc.

Waze will ask other drivers to verify. If no one verifies after a short period of time the report is removed. It's surprisingly accurate, especially when it has a large user base to draw from.

It's user-submitted. Someone can report "Debris in left lane" or something similar. They can also report accidents, road closures, speed traps, etc.

Waze will ask other drivers to verify. If no one verifies after a short period of time the report is removed. It's surprisingly accurate, especially when it has a large user base to draw from.

Okay cheers, thought it might be along those lines. Speed trap warning sounds useful, but the rest I can easily live without so I guess I won't be needing a phone bracket, lol! Makes you think a Waze App for Tesla would be a nice touch as it seems ridiculous having a 17" touchscreen with a cell phone bodged onto the dash!

Reactions: Bogobec