Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best place to purchase a Used Tesla - Direct from Owner is preferable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Im a current MS owner and would like to look at moving to the MX.

Purchased my MS direct from Tesla because of the "CPO" warranty of 4 years that was added on teh date/mile of purchase.

Was looking to do the same with an X but do not see the 4 year option available - Without that and the fact that they stip FSD, Internet Connectivity and Free SC from the car it doesn't make sense to pay the extra $ to purchase from Tesla.

Are there any good places that any of you might recommend when searching for a used Tesla?

Thanks for the assist here...Hoping I am not breaking any rules.

Purchased my MS direct from Tesla because of the "CPO" warranty of 4 years that was added on teh date/mile of purchase.

Was looking to do the same with an X but do not see the 4 year option available - Without that and the fact that they stip FSD, Internet Connectivity and Free SC from the car it doesn't make sense to pay the extra $ to purchase from Tesla.

Are there any good places that any of you might recommend when searching for a used Tesla?

Thanks for the assist here...Hoping I am not breaking any rules.
Maybe it was a misspelling, but if you were inferring Tesla strips FSD from the cars, it’s not true. In fact (somebody correct me if I’m wrong), all used AP 2, 2.5, and 3 vehicles that Tesla sells has FSD included.

Maybe it was a misspelling, but if you were inferring Tesla strips FSD from the cars, it’s not true. In fact (somebody correct me if I’m wrong), all used AP 2, 2.5, and 3 vehicles that Tesla sells has FSD included.

While they all include FSD hardware and capability, the software is not enabled unless purchased, currently $10,000. When Tesla takes a car in on trade that has had FSD purchased and enabled, Tesla DOES disable it. The new owner then has to pay $10,000 if they wish to use FSD.

all used AP 2, 2.5, and 3 vehicles that Tesla sells has FSD included.
Kentucky3 is correct. Every single used Tesla vehicle *sold from tesla.com* that was built since November 2016 includes "Full Self-Driving Capability" (aka FSD) at no additional cost. This is the same FSD that Tesla charges $10,000 for on new cars. The new owner does NOT have to pay anything to use the FSD, they just need to make an appointment to get free upgrade to HW3.

Kentucky3 is correct. Every single used Tesla vehicle *sold from tesla.com* that was built since November 2016 includes "Full Self-Driving Capability" (aka FSD) at no additional cost. This is the same FSD that Tesla charges $10,000 for on new cars. The new owner does NOT have to pay anything to use the FSD, they just need to make an appointment to get free upgrade to HW3.

Yes, but the "turn it off" if it was active and you have to pay to activate it.

Used Teslas come with FSD "Capable" configuration.

Purchased my MS direct from Tesla . . .
Was looking to do the same with an X but . . . they strip FSD, Internet Connectivity and Free SC from the car, it doesn't make sense to pay the extra $ to purchase from Tesla.
You're correct about supercharging, but oddly enough, every single used car Tesla sells on their website includes the FSD feature (unless it has AP1 hardware). Doesn't matter what configuration the previous owner had, Tesla enables FSD when they sell you the used car. Also note that Tesla adds 1-year and 10K miles to the warranty for used cars.

if you were inferring Tesla strips FSD from the cars, it’s not true. In fact (somebody correct me if I’m wrong), all used AP 2, 2.5, and 3 vehicles that Tesla sells has FSD included.
Kentucky3 is correct.

Yes, but they "turn it off" if it was active and you have to pay to activate it. Used Teslas come with FSD "Capable" configuration.
That assumption makes sense due to the confusing wording from Tesla, but actually "Full Self-Driving Capability" that comes with all used Teslas from tesla.com (unless they have AP1 hardware) is the real, full, FSD feature. This is the same feature that costs $10,000 on new cars, and when you buy a new car and pay $10,000 it's also called "Full Self-Driving Capability". The FSD is already active on the used cars from tesla.com if the car has HW3, and if the car has HW2 or HW2.5, it's free to upgrade to HW3. There is nothing to pay to activate the FSD feature on used Teslas from tesla.com.

Hope this helps somebody.

I'm still a little confused.

The listing on Tesla.com says "Full Self Driving Capable"

Does that mean for no additional cost I will have all of the current functionality of the Full Self Driving or does it mean that the hardware is in place and that I need to pay for the $10k upgrade?

A little bit of clarity - From a chat with Tesla rep on the website

Thank you for chatting in Today! Great question! If it states Full Self Driving Capability, this means the car already has Full Self Driving installed. No additional upgrades would be needed. Do you have a car that has caught your eye?

Reactions: Sunshine Speed
Ok, let me clarify something. If you buy a car on tesla.com that says fsd capability then that means it has FSD, the $10k option, enabled.

I just bought a used 2017 X 100D from tesla.com and it does come with FSD/uncorked acceleration. I will have to make an appointment to get hw3 retrofitted for free, but I will pay to upgrade to mcu2 instead.

Before buying from Tesla I was looking to buy a used one from Vroom but after doing extended research the majority of the cars 3rd party dealers are selling were bought from auction from Tesla, so Tesla does have the right to remove those extra features such as FSD/Lifetime premium connectivity.
I did confirm that with a vroom rep since the car I was going to buy had a screenshot of FSD included in one of the pictures, but Vroom will not guarantee that it will come with FSD.

If you consider the cost of FSD and uncorked acceleration and compare it to the 3rd party dealers, Tesla.com cars are cheaper and will come with the extra year of used car warranty. Most of their cars are lease-return.

Ok, let me clarify something. If you buy a car on tesla.com that says fsd capability then that means it has FSD, the $10k option, enabled.

I just bought a used 2017 X 100D from tesla.com and it does come with FSD/uncorked acceleration. I will have to make an appointment to get hw3 retrofitted for free, but I will pay to upgrade to mcu2 instead.

Before buying from Tesla I was looking to buy a used one from Vroom but after doing extended research the majority of the cars 3rd party dealers are selling were bought from auction from Tesla, so Tesla does have the right to remove those extra features such as FSD/Lifetime premium connectivity.
I did confirm that with a vroom rep since the car I was going to buy had a screenshot of FSD included in one of the pictures, but Vroom will not guarantee that it will come with FSD.

If you consider the cost of FSD and uncorked acceleration and compare it to the 3rd party dealers, Tesla.com cars are cheaper and will come with the extra year of used car warranty. Most of their cars are lease-return.

But if Tesla strips these cars of FSD, wouldn't that change happen before Vroom or whoever receives the car? Shouldn't Vroom be able to look at the software page to see if FSD is on the car?

But if Tesla strips these cars of FSD, wouldn't that change happen before Vroom or whoever receives the car? Shouldn't Vroom be able to look at the software page to see if FSD is on the car?

They have a database of cars that go through them that needs to have fsd removed, probably done when it is transferred tot he new owner. When vroom buys the car and they take pictures it will show FSD that was purchased by the previous buyer and it will show up when vroom looks it up, but since the car has gone through Tesla's possession it will be subjected for FSD removal. When you ask Vroom they will tell you that all they will guarantee is the car will have AP if it shows AP under their sale-description, anything else is not guaranteed.

The reason for my research and canceling buying through Vroom was this thread
Tesla YANKED FSD option without notice - Class Action lawsuit? Any Lawyers here? [Resolved]

He got the FSD removed after the car was put under his name, which was in Tesla's right since they were in possession of the car before auctioning to the 3rd party dealer.