TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Best place to sell 3 to upgrade to 3PD

Discussion in 'Model 3: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by norcalsean, Jul 28, 2018.

1. norcalsean

norcalsean Member

Thanks to my tesla dealer for twisting my arm to drive 3PD at Stanford in Palo Alto yesterday. I’ve only had mine for 10 days, 500 miles. I’ll try the sell forum here just curious if anyone else has done the same and where they sold.

• Funny x 2
  2. Msjulie

Msjulie Active Member

• Funny x 1
  3. Ejl80

Ejl80 Supporting Member

4. Msjulie

Msjulie Active Member

I hadn't either, someone else on this forum sent there way. I also did a BBB search - remind me after Friday and I can let you know how it goes

5. norcalsean

norcalsean Member

Thanks I’ll check it out! Black, aero, EAP, rwd.

6. preilly44

preilly44 Member

I'm planning on doing the same thing. Tesla estimated a trade-in value of $44k with 5k miles (3LR Blue EAP).

• Informative x 1
  7. MXWing

MXWing Active Member

That seems like a very high trade in accounting for the tax credit, off lot depreciation and 5,000 miles already?

Not jealous in any way, just trying to wrap my head around it. :)

Congrats..?

8. chibi_kurochan

don't think you can get the tax credit, only qualifies if we own the car for at least one year i thought?

9. preilly44

preilly44 Member

I was thinking I should be able to get more with a private party sale...even with the tax benefits of a trade-in. I guess we'll see when my P finally gets built.

10. Msjulie

Msjulie Active Member

I had wondered about this but I can't find a place to authenticate that - when I inquired to a tax preparer he didn't say there was a limit - only "intention" to buy the car for personal use...

Seems loop-hole-ish to me but...

• Like x 1
  11. MXWing

MXWing Active Member

I heard Tesla offers were really low, so that's why that seemed high. I guess the main problem is if that offer is going to be good until the car is built?

I would guess private party car would be worth 49-54k at end of year?

There's no holding time as far as I am aware for the tax credit. The main verbiage is around intention of ownership. Which was the case until the P rolled around..

12. SpudLime

SpudLime Member

Dont you submit your VIN with the tax credit? So the VIN can only be submitted once if this is the case. But whats to stop you from buying multiple EV's and claiming each VIN?

13. MXWing

MXWing Active Member

There is no limit to # of EV's.

Just your tax liability to claim the credits.

• Like x 2
  14. preilly44

preilly44 Member

I agree. I'm Hoping to sell it for $50k in the next month or so.