Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best place to sell a Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,
I have a 2015 (Aug) Model S (85D loaded, AP1.0) that I am selling because I just ordered a new Model X.

Besides Facebook, does anyone recommend a good approach to selling my baby?
I love my S. Its only because I have an X on order that I am selling.

I've always sold cars (before my Tesla) on Craigslist. Never to a dealer since the value is usually low.

Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Steve

Hi,
I have a 2015 (Aug) Model S (85D loaded, AP1.0) that I am selling because I just ordered a new Model X.

Besides Facebook, does anyone recommend a good approach to selling my baby?
I love my S. Its only because I have an X on order that I am selling.

I've always sold cars (before my Tesla) on Craigslist. Never to a dealer since the value is usually low.

Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Steve
You can list it here in the Tesla for Sale forum if you haven't already done so.

I've had very good luck with AutoTrader.com over the years. Their website and searching are slick and, for whatever reason, you don't get near the lowball loser offers you do with Craigslist. I usually buy whichever package lets me keep the ad up until it sells. A few more tips:

• Make the ad a bit personal (to differentiate you from the dealers and flippers out there - note that many of the "private sellers" are really flippers with dealer licenses).
  • Always upload the maximum amount of NICE , well-exposed pictures. I am always amazed when I see people trying to unload high priced items like cars or houses with the worst low quality, poorly lit, "in the shade" photos. A picture is, as they say, worth a thousand words. I often upload additional photos to a photo share site like Google Photos and tell buyers they can e-mail me for the link (or I include it in the ad...although I think Autotrader prevents some links from being in their ads).
  • Look to see what other cars are advertised for and price your car realistically. Indeed, I generally undercut the market when it is time for me to sell a car and that results in a quick sale.

Good Luck!

I’m currently trying to sell my Model X while I wait delivery of my Model S. I just assume trade it in, but I figured I’d see what was out there while I wait for the quote from Tesla. I put an ad up here, my local craigslist Tesla group and took it to CarMax.

It’s been 4 days and all I’ve heard from are a bunch of time wasters and bargain hunters. I got an okay offer from CarMax. To not have to deal with these people is worth a few thousand too.

For me, CarMax was lowball. Vroom was a bit better. I listed here on TMC and also on onlyused teslas. I supposedly got lots of hits on onlyusedteslas but only one soft 'bite' which did not pan out. I got a few inquiries here on TMC but the right individual found my listing and my car and bought it this past Sunday for a fair price (we are both happy). GLWS. Be aware that there are a lot of 3 year old Model S coming onto the market--lease returns and trade ins to Tesla that they just wholesale out and don't bother to add to the CPO fleet.