Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best place to sell a Roadster

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thinking of selling my Roadster. What's the best way to do it? Has one online service proven to be better than others for this particular car? Should I bother with craigslist? Any other strategies that have emerged?

Folks like TEG and Pharma5 I think have a better idea of the best avenue for selling a Roadster.

What I can tell you is that what I've learned is that there are about 1400 Roadsters in America, and of those, somewhere around 15-30 are currently for sale. Total, across the country. So although you might be successful finding a local-to-you buyer, effectively your market is the country. And of the buyers I've chatted with, and certainly my own expectation, when I do find the right one for me, I'm assuming that I'll be paying for delivery. It would be nice if I could find one in Seattle or Portland, but it appears we need to import more to the Pacific Northwest :)

The two sites I watch daily for new cars are www.ebay.com and www.cars.com. I've also looked around some on www.autotrader.com, but haven't seen as much activity there. Hadn't occurred to me to watch craigslist; now that you mention it, I need to go visit!

EDIT: After a quick visit to craigslist, unless I'm missing something, I'd say craigslist is unlikely to be very effective. I suppose you could post something to each of the craiglist sites within about 150 miles of you (about 1 charge, so a buyer could drive it home with a buddy); I don't know if car post are free, and I tend to think you'll be limiting your market. Then again, if it's cheap or free, maybe you'll find exactly the right person for your car, and as a bonus, you'll be able to meet in person to handle the transaction.

Last edited:
Thinking of selling my Roadster. What's the best way to do it? Has one online service proven to be better than others for this particular car? Should I bother with craigslist? Any other strategies that have emerged?

The Tesla for Sale section of this website is a good place.:biggrin: I posted a link on roadsters for sale in the uk a day ago and it's been viewed 182 times (not all by me). Cars.com, ebay, and aol autos seem to get the most listings outside of here.

If you are not sure yet, put a few details out there to feel out potential interest - color, miles, location, condition, extras, reason for considering selling, last few digits of vin...? There are always people on the hunt...

Yeah, eBay would probably be my first choice.

There are various consignment places that can take the car and sell it for you but I think they get a big cut so probably only if you are desparate or too lazy to try to get the best price on your own.

If Tesla every officially announces any of the planned upgrades for performance, Supercharging or batteries I would hope that would give Roadster prices a nice bump up. As it is now prices have dropped signifcantly where people are furtunately to get $.50/dollar.

My guess is we will hear about upgrades next year as they get the production issues ironed out on the Model S and reach profitability.

Good suggestions. Thanks everyone. I went ahead and posted it to the for-sale thread. I have a Model S reservation but keep punting on it. As a single guy, unmarried, without kids, the S just seems like too much car for me. I quite like the Roadster's size: enough room for two people and a bit of cargo. Unfortunately I travel too much these days and am so rarely home to drive it now that owning it seems unjustified.

If Tesla every officially announces any of the planned upgrades for performance, Supercharging or batteries I would hope that would give Roadster prices a nice bump up. As it is now prices have dropped signifcantly where people are furtunately to get $.50/dollar.

My guess is we will hear about upgrades next year as they get the production issues ironed out on the Model S and reach profitability.

I agree with you about the upgrades. But $.50/dollar? Not based on what I've seen. Version 1.5 in good condition is over 60% of original price and 2.5 are selling for 70% or more and hard to find. Maybe I have the wrong data?

> I felt like Craig's List wasn't worth my time. [Pantera Dude]

You can now search Craigslist entire North America with one click:

<www.adhuntr.com> -- yes, there is no e --

accepts filters: tesla roadster -replica -brochure
--

I guess this is correct then Doug...

Begs the question that I've asked before in a different thread...how many Roadsters out of the 1,400 odd ones in North America will be traded in / returned off of special lease for a Model S?

I guess with only 57 odd Roadsters in Canada, not many will be sold / returned from lease for an S ....

Tesla has obviously made arrangements with a broker to handle used cars, but they probably don't want to deal with the Roadsters. Apparently Tesla doesn't have a "certified used Roadster" program set up for Canada (yet?).

Had I known about that I would have taken advantage of it. I was under the impression you had to search each area individually which was more time than I wanted to invest.

> I felt like Craig's List wasn't worth my time. [Pantera Dude]

You can now search Craigslist entire North America with one click:

<www.adhuntr.com> -- yes, there is no e --

accepts filters: tesla roadster -replica -brochure
--

I think adhuntr (formerly allofcraigs.com) is a 3rd party site scrapper / aggregator.
Their info tends to lag behind the real craigslist. Sometimes they show listings that are no longer active.

> I think adhuntr (formerly allofcraigs.com) is a 3rd party site scrapper / aggregator.
Their info tends to lag behind the real craigslist. Sometimes they show listings that are no longer active. [TEG]

Showing 'no longer active' listings is a plus as it offers context. Now if persons running recurring ads would get a bit smarter they would place their phone# at the very beginning of every ad. Thus the adhuntr blurb would show their phone# for weeks beyond having ad flagged/expired and we wouldn't have to wait for next ad to give them a shout.

Home gamers can do better than adhuntr by simply running separate tabs on each of the 23 craigslist major cities. Most craigers are savvy enough to run a proxy ad in a nearby major city, so you would grab those.

Adhuntr lets you limit regionally if desired. Hey, it's a free service.
--

UPDATE:

Misinformation given out....I was told CDN tesla could not be traded in.

Tesla does take Canadian Roadsters on trade.....unfortunately they offered me roughly 1/3 my purchase price.....ouch
I guess that doesn't say much for what Tesla sees in resale of their vehicles....

Are you selling your Roadster and buying a Model S?

If so, why not trade it in to Tesla?

Last edited: