Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best place to sell my 2017 Model X?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am thinking about downsizing from three to two cars and sell my Model X. I am wondering what the best option is to sell it. Any thoughts are welcome.

Car Details
  • Tesla Model X 100D 5 Seat interior
  • Good condition
  • Delivered at Fremont factory in July 2017
  • Original Price $120,750 before taxes
  • Uncorked
  • AP3 upgrade scheduled for 8/21/20
  • Dashcam front and back installed (BlackVue DR750S-2CH 128GB)
  • New Pirelli Scorpion Zero All Season Tires
  • Obsidian Black Metallic Paint
  • 20" inch Silver Wheels
  • White interior seats
  • Black Alcantara Headliner
  • Dark Ash Wood Decor
  • High Amperage Charger (72 Amps)
  • Enhanced Autopilot
  • Full Self Driving Capability
  • Premium Upgrade Package
  • Smart Air Suspension
  • Premium Sound
  • Subzero Weather Package
  • Towing Package

As always, sales to individuals will get you the best price, but also require the most effort. This may be tougher with COVID as I can imagine fewer people would be willing to spend time in someone else's car to check it out.

Your second best option would be to try some local dealerships. I've heard stories of some people getting lucky and getting really good offers from dealerships.

Tesla is notorious for low-balling trade ins so I would go to them as a last resort. I'd expect them to offer you $10k-15k below market value.

I'd guess you could get somewhere $65k-70k through a private deal, and probably closer to $55k-60k through Tesla. There's currently a similar vehicle to yours, with only 38k miles, listed for $70k on Tesla's website. All of the price reductions have been brutal on depreciation, especially for those of us who bought before 2019.

Good luck.

• Informative
Reactions: jet44
As always, sales to individuals will get you the best price, but also require the most effort. This may be tougher with COVID as I can imagine fewer people would be willing to spend time in someone else's car to check it out.

Your second best option would be to try some local dealerships. I've heard stories of some people getting lucky and getting really good offers from dealerships.

Tesla is notorious for low-balling trade ins so I would go to them as a last resort. I'd expect them to offer you $10k-15k below market value.

I'd guess you could get somewhere $65k-70k through a private deal, and probably closer to $55k-60k through Tesla. There's currently a similar vehicle to yours, with only 38k miles, listed for $70k on Tesla's website. All of the price reductions have been brutal on depreciation, especially for those of us who bought before 2019.

Good luck.
Thanks a lot. Super helpful!

Just sold mine on Vroom about 1 month ago - $7K more than what was being offered by Tesla for a trade in; and and about $4-5K more than Carmax or trade in with other dealerships (Volvo, BMW and MB)
The process was painless, just some pictures, got the offer via email - once accepted, pick up done in 3 days and check for the full amount within 2 days.
Would highly recommend them.

Just sold mine on Vroom about 1 month ago - $7K more than what was being offered by Tesla for a trade in; and and about $4-5K more than Carmax or trade in with other dealerships (Volvo, BMW and MB)
The process was painless, just some pictures, got the offer via email - once accepted, pick up done in 3 days and check for the full amount within 2 days.
Great to know. Has anyone used Shift?

YMMV. I've used vroom on other occasions and if you want easy, it doesn't get any easier than that. But their prices will range from terrible to unbelievably good.

For my MX, Vroom offered me exactly the same amount as Tesla did. Carmax offered even less. I sold it privately for $10,000 more than Vroom/Tesla, and $15,000 more than Carmax. I just threw it up on eBay and car gurus