Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best Place to Sell My 2019 Model 3? [2020]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What is the best place/site to sell a 2019 Model 3? Tesla trade-in offer was $41k. Waiting on Carvana and Carmax. Any others to consider?
Unable to drive for quite a while and will buy a Y in the future for the increased cargo space.
Virginia car: LR, Midnight Silver, FSD, Autopilot, 19" wheels, <18k miles.

What is the best place/site to sell a 2019 Model 3? Tesla trade-in offer was $41k. Waiting on Carvana and Carmax. Any others to consider?
Unable to drive for quite a while and will buy a Y in the future for the increased cargo space.
Virginia car: LR, Midnight Silver, FSD, Autopilot, 19" wheels, <18k miles.

Its a pretty bad time to sell a used car right now in general, and its going to get much (much much) worse in the next few months, what with all the unemployment, etc.

I would say that TMC (this wesite) is one of the worst places to consider selling a used tesla, because there are people that just hang out in the tesla for sale section and beat up people on how their used tesla is overpriced etc. It depends on why you are really selling. If you dont "have" to sell, you are likely better off waiting almost a year, when we are hopefully on the other side of this "shelter in place " world and the situations have calmed down.

If you have to sell now, other than tesla, carvana, vroom, and autotrader / private ads, its the same as selling any other used car. The autotrader /private ad route always has the issue of you pricing the car for X and someone showing up, wasting your time, and saying "I have X minus 8K here IN CASH right now for your car". Its a hassle to sell private party but you can get the most money for it if you take your time.

The others are much faster but you wont get as much money back.

best to not sell at all, or if you have to sell, try those three above and take the best and move on.

May not be a good time to sell compared to a couple months ago, but there will be no better time than right now for next couple of years at least, so better hurry!

I have sold cars by posting on multiple sites at the same time: AutoTrader, Cars.com, Craigslist, and Carguru's.

Once you make your pictures, videos, and descriptions, it's easy to copy them over to the other sites. It has really varied as to which site produces the sales, but Craigslist has surprised me. Of course, you better be ready for the robot scammers that contact you immediately on Craigslist. The best thing to do overall is use something like Skype to create a temporary phone number to receive calls and texts until you sell the car.

Is it a hassle? Yes, but with the effort you will pocket thousands of dollars extra.

Reactions: Salted
Its a pretty bad time to sell a used car right now in general, and its going to get much (much much) worse in the next few months, what with all the unemployment, etc.

I would say that TMC (this wesite) is one of the worst places to consider selling a used tesla, because there are people that just hang out in the tesla for sale section and beat up people on how their used tesla is overpriced etc. It depends on why you are really selling. If you dont "have" to sell, you are likely better off waiting almost a year, when we are hopefully on the other side of this "shelter in place " world and the situations have calmed down.

If you have to sell now, other than tesla, carvana, vroom, and autotrader / private ads, its the same as selling any other used car. The autotrader /private ad route always has the issue of you pricing the car for X and someone showing up, wasting your time, and saying "I have X minus 8K here IN CASH right now for your car". Its a hassle to sell private party but you can get the most money for it if you take your time.

The others are much faster but you wont get as much money back.

best to not sell at all, or if you have to sell, try those three above and take the best and move on.
Thanks. Will consider vroom and autotrader.

May not be a good time to sell compared to a couple months ago, but there will be no better time than right now for next couple of years at least, so better hurry!

I have sold cars by posting on multiple sites at the same time: AutoTrader, Cars.com, Craigslist, and Carguru's.

Once you make your pictures, videos, and descriptions, it's easy to copy them over to the other sites. It has really varied as to which site produces the sales, but Craigslist has surprised me. Of course, you better be ready for the robot scammers that contact you immediately on Craigslist. The best thing to do overall is use something like Skype to create a temporary phone number to receive calls and texts until you sell the car.

Is it a hassle? Yes, but with the effort you will pocket thousands of dollars extra.
Agree. Will be a hassle to sell to a private party, but will get more $$$ for the hassle.

Wow. Scratch Vroom. Offered me $34,280. Gave me a good laugh at least.
The offer from Tesla is a trade offer, not an outright purchase offer though. The prices have dropped significantly in the last 30 days unfortunately. You don’t list if AWD, they did build some RWD’s in 2019 and that makes a difference. If your Tesla quote wasn’t very recent I wouldn’t use it as too much of a measuring stick against an outright purchase.

The offer from Tesla is a trade offer, not an outright purchase offer though. The prices have dropped significantly in the last 30 days unfortunately. You don’t list if AWD, they did build some RWD’s in 2019 and that makes a difference. If your Tesla quote wasn’t very recent I wouldn’t use it as too much of a measuring stick against an outright purchase.

hope that's a blip and not sign of things to come.

I feel fortunate. I have a MY on order and wanted to trade-in my Chrysler Pacifica Plug-in Hybrid. The price they gave me was very low. A couple days later a friend heard I was going to trade my garage kept and well maintained van and offered me $10K more than Tesla.

Had this not happened I would have tried the CarMax route but in today's market probably wouldn't have gotten more.

It would not have been worth my time and effort to try doing a private sale through the usual route.

I feel fortunate. I have a MY on order and wanted to trade-in my Chrysler Pacifica Plug-in Hybrid. The price they gave me was very low. A couple days later a friend heard I was going to trade my garage kept and well maintained van and offered me $10K more than Tesla.

Had this not happened I would have tried the CarMax route but in today's market probably wouldn't have gotten more.

It would not have been worth my time and effort to try doing a private sale through the usual route.

lucky. Funny we're still debating b/t a Chrysler Pacifica Plug-in Hybrid and Y. Hope they release the 3 row Y soon. The 2020 Chrysler Pacifica Plug-in Hybrid looks great as a people mover! How was the AP TACC?

Trade in offers offset the purchase price when calculating sales taxes in many states. When I traded my 2019 M3, the price plus the offset tax savings was in the range of a reasonable private party sale, so I took it. I don't think that anybody who buys cars for resale is going to beat Tesla's trade offer.

If you want a private seller data point, I bought a 2018 AWD with EAP for 42k last week. I was too late for a 2018 LR RWD with EAP (sold for 40) and one with FSD (41,900). All 3 had 20-30k miles. Was happy in the end to miss out on the RWD as I prefer AWD plus EAP over RWD and FSD.