Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best Plaid brake upgrade? Alcon front / rear

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys,
In my last post I showed you a braking kit from Rotora front + rear (I really like kits upgrading the rear caliper, I have a fixation with upgrading the rear caliper cuz 1 piston slider calipers are gayyy, just my personal opinion, f.off :D), and some people discarded it hard because "it`s low cost so it`s low quality". I finally got an answer from Alcon, very reputable company with products matching Brembo / AP in quality (or so alot of people online who tested them say!).
Front: 410x34 6 piston
Rear (several options but will go with): 380x28 4 piston
"Hi. We do have a 6/4 kit with the RC calipers. It is special order.
Front has 410mm rotors. Rear has 355-400mm rotors. Photos of the front below.
Cost is around $3800 for the front and $3200 for the rear kit. Delivery could take 4-5 weeks depending on backlog."
Still waiting for their solution regarding the Electronic Parking Brake integrated in the stock rear caliper, might have to buy an aftermarket EPB (was quoted 1000 USD for Belfe from somewhere else).
For me, this option is the final choice and the golden goose. Price / quality / performance ratio is a dream. AP is planning to release a front + rear kit in the following months but probably with calipers without dust boots, for the track, bad for a daily car, driven year round; and certainly way more expensive; maybe better for hardcore tracking but certainly 0 improvement on the street compared to this Alcon kit.
P.s.: added a pic comparing the stock Plaid with 20 inch rims to a 6 series with 20 inch rims with the 400mm RC6 (410mm will fit 20 inch and the visual difference will be even bigger)

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1683187733265.jpg
    FB_IMG_1683187733265.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 192
  • FB_IMG_1683187728776.jpg
    FB_IMG_1683187728776.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 113
  • FB_IMG_1683187724609.jpg
    FB_IMG_1683187724609.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 110
I plan to track it. I found that even with my MS LR, repeated high speed stops would cause fade. In normal use, in a street environment, the brakes aren't terrible. Keep in mind that while the MR LR isn't as quick as the Plaid, it is still a fast car and a pretty heavy one. The difference is they limit the top speed of the MS LR to a lot lower that what it is capable and lower than the Plaid.

I don't want to be in a situation where I get one hard brake and I am done so to speak. I did a lot of 1/4 mile runs with my LR in a sort of confined place and I was getting fade after about 3 back to back runs as I didn't have a long run out after the "traps" on the back roads in "Mexico" I was running on.

Taking care of the brakes will give it the ability to whoa as fast as it goes, repeatedly.