Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best Plan for Labor Day Superchargers SF-LA?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

dmunjal

Aug 17, 2012
I'm driving to LA for Labor Day weekend via Hwy 5 from San Francisco. Any recommendations on what the best superchargers to stop at vs what the navigation will suggest? Especially on a holiday weekend? I haven't made that drive in a year and I know there are many supercharging stations/locations that have been added since then.

I think time of day will be a factor. If it is feasible, you might consider leaving earlier than customary. Bear in mind that people will be traveling north too. Or you could hop over to 99 and charge in Fresno. We might not be as crowded as Interstate 5.

You do not indicate your battery size, your departure, and your destination. If your battery is large enough, I would try to use Harris Ranch (lots more stalls) or else shoot for the Buttonwillow/Bakersfield pairings that are only a couple miles apart. Tejon Ranch could be a choke point. I would advise keeping the charging status live on your touchscreen to see if there is a pattern developing.

I think time of day will be a factor. If it is feasible, you might consider leaving earlier than customary. Bear in mind that people will be traveling north too. Or you could hop over to 99 and charge in Fresno. We might not be as crowded as Interstate 5.

You do not indicate your battery size, your departure, and your destination. If your battery is large enough, I would try to use Harris Ranch (lots more stalls) or else shoot for the Buttonwillow/Bakersfield pairings that are only a couple miles apart. Tejon Ranch could be a choke point. I would advise keeping the charging status live on your touchscreen to see if there is a pattern developing.

Appreciate the reply. We're driving a X75 and are going to Newport Beach. I think Harris Ranch will be our first stop but worried about Tejon and Burbank.

Two famous choked points. Worse with Tejon for holidays but Burbank is bad in any day!

How about this to avoid Tejon Ranch and Burbank?

Could I make it from Bakersfield to Buena Park with a X75? Google Maps shows 140 miles. Sounds like it would be possible, even over the Grapevine. Then I would stop in Gustine instead of Harris Ranch and make it to Bakersfield which is 155 miles.

Could I make it from Bakersfield to Buena Park with a X75? Google Maps shows 140 miles. Sounds like it would be possible, even over the Grapevine. Then I would stop in Gustine instead of Harris Ranch and make it to Bakersfield which is 155 miles.

Try routing on EVTripplanner. That is a pretty accurate estimate of energy usage. (There is a newer program out there, but I do not recall its name. Someone else here could surely direct you to that application.)

Just off the top of my head, you might be able to reach Buena Park directly from Bakersfield if you start your journey slow and monitor your estimated reserve on the trip tab in the energy screen. It is tempting to go with the flow of traffic (~80) on the very scenic and pleasurable Interstate 5. Speed saps energy, so 65 instead of 77-80 for the first 50 miles or so might make it doable. Climbing the Grapevine will chew up a lot of range, but you will receive a portion of it back once you reach the summit just north of Gorman.

Then if there is the usual traffic on the Golden State and Santa Ana Freeways, you likely will be driving closer to 50-60 (perhaps less!) once you reach the LA Basin.

Happy travels!

Reactions: dmunjal

I've done buttonwillow to anaheim on a X60D so you should be fine, LA traffic helps extend range :)

Reactions: dmunjal