Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best power frunk kit?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Could be worse. My M3 with Hansshow frunk/trunk used to beep and randomly open when it got wet. It eventually failed and I had to replace the controller and put a rubber boot on it. It still caused problems until I realized that the open side, even when sealed with zip ties, still needs to be pointing down, not back toward the windshield, like I had it. That way any condensation could escape. Newer models are water tight.

What is the resolution for when it compltely fails to open? I installed my Hansshow power frunk 6 weeks ago and it has worked every time, until Sunday. Stopped for a few groceries, popped it to get shopping bags, worked as usual. When I came back out 20 minutes later it wouldn't open. It was ~40° and raining, but it should work in those conditions. Car has been in the garage for the last two days and it still won't open. I can hear the mechanism trying to release but nothing happens. And the emergency release cable does not work.

I did see another member who had the same experience and had to take it to the dealer so they could "break into" the frunk for a cost of $700. Before I go that route, how have other people dealt with this problem?

Reactions: PreguntsAnswrs
What is the resolution for when it compltely fails to open? I installed my Hansshow power frunk 6 weeks ago and it has worked every time, until Sunday. Stopped for a few groceries, popped it to get shopping bags, worked as usual. When I came back out 20 minutes later it wouldn't open. It was ~40° and raining, but it should work in those conditions. Car has been in the garage for the last two days and it still won't open. I can hear the mechanism trying to release but nothing happens. And the emergency release cable does not work.

I did see another member who had the same experience and had to take it to the dealer so they could "break into" the frunk for a cost of $700. Before I go that route, how have other people dealt with this problem?
Wow, that is a bummer. I'm hoping someone has a good suggestion in case it ever happens to me! Good luck.

Did you try the manual way by pulling the release cord? As far as i know that will unlatch it from the motorized latch.

Wow, that is a bummer. I'm hoping someone has a good suggestion in case it ever happens to me! Good luck.
My "Tesla Offer 4.0" power frunk has performed flawlessly for two years now. I use it very often.
I’ve had good luck so far, but today it’s giving my wife a bit of grief, granted it could be the cold weather. I’m guessing that some water could have gotten into the works and froze something. Maybe a little WD-40 in the latch might help.

Are the EVOffer/Teslarati & Hansshow kits the same? Are there any material differences? My wife is giving me a frunk opener for Christmas, so I have a choice to make. The long-running Hansshow has collected more comments, so that makes it both well-documented plus a little scary. OTOH, the EVOffer seems to have better installation instructions and almost no negative comments here. So, that one is either better or less popular. OTOH, Hanshhow is available now while Teslarati is out of stock. I'm not as concerned about installation differences, as long as they are both well-engineered. I am more interested in long-term operation differences (if any).

Are the EVOffer/Teslarati & Hansshow kits the same? Are there any material differences? My wife is giving me a frunk opener for Christmas, so I have a choice to make. The long-running Hansshow has collected more comments, so that makes it both well-documented plus a little scary. OTOH, the EVOffer seems to have better installation instructions and almost no negative comments here. So, that one is either better or less popular. OTOH, Hanshhow is available now while Teslarati is out of stock. I'm not as concerned about installation differences, as long as they are both well-engineered. I am more interested in long-term operation differences (if any).
Well, as you can see from my post above, Hansshow failed after less than two weeks. I haven't had time to deal with whatever the resolution may be, but it won't be easy or cheap I'm sure. What I can tell you is this: I wish I had never installed it. Although I definitely enjoyed the powered frunk while it worked, the failure is a headache I didn't need. I rented a Tesla while on break this past week and used the manual frunk. My impression, after having used the power frunk for my brief 6 weeks? Manual really isn't a big deal.

Got a video?
I don't. I actually just swapped them out a couple of weeks ago for the Hansshow powered frunk kit. The struts worked fine and closing it isn't that much harder than the factory struts. They do open the hood quickly, but not to a point that I was concerned with damaging the hood. I had them on for 6 months and used them ~2x a day and didn't see any change in my hood. I changed it out for a powered version because I use it daily and I didn't like constantly having hand prints on the hood.

I searched for a power frunk thread to see which one people are using, since prices vary a bit. I see several people with problems.

I noticed this one from pimpmyev is $700, which is much more expensive than Hanshaw and evoffer. Anybody use this one or know why its more expensive? I would hope its built better and does not have some of the failures described in this thread.

I have a 2023 MY and noticed the Hanshaw kit does not support 2023 and for evoffer you need to email them if you have an Austin built 2023 (which I do). Anybody with a 2023 install one or know what is special about it?