Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best practice for battery recharging with set commute

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Given my twice weekly commute, I have two charging choices assuming I want to avoid charging above 90%. Start at 90% and end at 10% or start at 85% and end at 5%. What’s the best practice for overall batter pack life? (FYI I’m driving a M3P and love it!)

So what I understand so far, it does not matter if one has NCA or LFP battery.
Keep your battery SoC to as low as possible without affecting your daily commute.
This will help lower battery calendar degradation.

I have Tesla RWD with LFP battery and drive everyday to approx 18-20%. So if I keep my battery to charge daily to 40% is that OK.
When I come home battery is around 22% but I delayed charge it so it is at 40% mark by 8AM.
Please let me know if I am doing any thing incorrect here.
Probably more important for NCA, due to greater degradation.

Also, if the lab test charts of degradation that @AAKEE posts a lot are true, the critical state-of-charge (above which degradation is increased) seems to be 55% for NCA, 70% for LFP.

How are you daily charging to 40% when the lowest setting is 50%? Or are you setting your departure time to be an hour after when you actually depart?

But note that LFP batteries' flat voltage curve means an increased chance that the BMS could lose the true state of charge, which is apparently why Tesla recommends charging LFP batteries to 100% at least once per week. However, there have not been reports on these forums about how off the BMS can be from the true state of charge.

Reactions: DrChaos
Upvote 0
Thank you Aakee, Really appreciate your detailed comments.

So what I understand so far, it does not matter if one has NCA or LFP battery.
Keep your battery SoC to as low as possible without affecting your daily commute.
This will help lower battery calendar degradation.

I have Tesla RWD with LFP battery and drive everyday to approx 18-20%. So if I keep my battery to charge daily to 40% is that OK.
When I come home battery is around 22% but I delayed charge it so it is at 40% mark by 8AM.
Please let me know if I am doing any thing incorrect here.

We only have data from earlier battery tests, so for the latest LFP we can only guess that they probably behave about the same as earlier LFPs do.

It is probably a good idea to charge to 100% once a week as tesla say to reset the counter.
From the little data we have so far from LFP in teslas, like teslalogger.de, it looks like they degrade a little slower than NCA.

This is probably mainly calendar aging we see as the cyclic aging should be very low.

Upvote 0
How are you daily charging to 40% when the lowest setting is 50%? Or are you setting your departure time to be an hour after when you actually depart?
I estimated and start delay charge it. Within few days my estimates get better.
I charge to 100% once a month and drive it to long distance. 3 weeks ago I drove 81miles with 100% and arrive at destination with 74%.
Very happy with my RWD tesla so far. 3 months old with 2600 miles so far.

Though it is the slowest of any tesla, but is quite sufficient to my style of driving.
I use to have Mercedes e500 v8 RWD but tesla feels more powerful and spontaneous.

Upvote 0