Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best practices for buying from someone from this forum?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Long story short I am looking to buy a model S from someone posting here. They seem legit. I dont have time to fly out and inspect the car/drive back. I plan to purchase it and get it shipped here. I'm not entirely at ease with the process, but I cant wait for 6+ months for a car.

-What method of payment is safe?
-How do I assure there's not a problem with the car?
-How do I ensure it gets shipped ?

Many thanks!!!

In short, you are buying a $100K+ car on faith ----- very bold!

I imagine the seller is trustworthy enough that you to consider that (not surprising, since most folks posting here are legit and have more honest livelihoods than being a scammer).

Few things to think about:
1) If you cant fly out, how are you transferring ownership at a DMV?
2) Let's assume you own the car on day X and then you arrange for car to be picked up on day Y and shipped, how do you deal with any unforeseen "incidents" with the car between these days X and Y? (insurance etc.)
3) I assume you have thought about complexity of out of state car purchase (assuming that is the case)
-- etc etc other complexities ...

Since you raised this questions/posting on the forum, my unsolicited suggestion is that you may want to look at something more local (or at least go there and close the deal
in person).

Good luck.

I've done this many times, but always me being the seller, to be transparent, since I never buy used vehicles. But I have a few suggestions that would basically eliminate getting scammed, at least on the financial side. I'd only buy if the owner has title on hand, and title is in his own name, and preferably with current address, but that's not critical (as people move). I also wouldn't buy if not original owner, but that's just me. Owner should be willing to send you a copy of the title (front and back), and a copy of his valid driver's license, and you should be willing to send yours. If the car is under warranty, it'd be much safer for you, but it's still important to inspect the car, either by a Tesla dealer, or a forum member owner willing to go check the car for you (you can offer a fee). If an affluent seller is willing to let you, or somebody you assign, go to his house to check the car, that almost eliminates that the car has any serious issues, or he'd just trade the car in, and pass the problem to somebody else. You can also get a Carfax or such, but keep in mind without a police report, the car could have still been involved in an accident (typically a single-car accident). Finally, the way the guy behaves will tell you if you can trust him or not. I always insisted on buyer coming in, and checking the car himself first, offering to pick him up at the airport, but only one time it was done sight unseen. I'm as honest as it gets, so he was really pleased, since my car was immaculate. But unfortunately, not everybody take care of their cars like I do, so if you're a picky individual (like me), I'd NEVER do such a purchase. Ha ha. As far as payment, both parties could designate an escrow company, and you send payment there, and owner the title, and when proof of shipping (by your choice of trucking company) is delivered, then funds are sent to seller, and title to you. Surprisingly, that guy sent me a wire directly, which I wouldn't have done, to be honest. Hope this helps. Good luck.

On the other hand, it's safe to assume a car sold by original owner is going to be from nicer, to MUCH nicer (like in my case. Ha ha). Such cars have been over many hands, possibly abused, sitting under the elements for weeks or months, etc. Plus you wouldn't know any service or life history from such a dealer. But I agree, for those who don't care that much about the condition of the vehicle, it's the most convenient way to purchase one indeed. And at a decent price. I've sold 3 vehicles so far to Vroom, and at least when I dropped them at the trucker, they were better than new. But I'm sure they go thru many hands. The one time I watched my car get loaded, the trucker scuffed the door sill and door panel with his big a$$ boots just as I was watching him, so they start deteriorating from there. So I'd definitely go thru the trouble of buying a pristine one... but you have to be careful indeed, and put more time into the deal. But it's worth it at the end.

Last edited:
Have you considered looking at Teslas used inventory?

Guessing you are getting a better deal through the forum user?

Yes, all those cars have FSD, not interested

• Love
Reactions: cleverscreenam
Have you considered looking at Teslas used inventory?
Yeah, the aholes are adding FSD to every car sold, just because they can. The 'FSD' on a Hyundai with 'highway assist' is actually smoother. No way I'd have paid even 100 bucks for that gimmick. And yes, I had it free for 3 months with my 2021. It's not worth it until it actually becomes legal first (no hands on wheel requirement). And much improved second.

I'm wondering about a few things when selling the car.

A number of folks want to pay cash. Should be fine but I'd be worried walking around with that much money. I asked my bank and they said we can come in and they will check in the cash but there will be a forum to fill out as it's more than $10k.

I've done the cashier's check at the buyers bank before and that seemed to be a safe way. I've seen a few guides say to have the bank cash the check and the make you a cashier's check. Is that not what you are there seeing the buyer do in the first place?

The guides also mention a few forms but it seems there is just the one (Transfer and Release of Liability (NRL)) in CA and its attached to the pink slip/certificate of title. Just have them fill out the top part and tear it off then mail it in or do it on line. What about a Bill of Sale?

Then on the Chase Banks site they say:
"Once you complete the form, print a copy for your records. The DMV allows you up to five days from the date of purchase to file the transfer. After your sale is complete, fill out the title transfer with the buyer and remove your license plate, then fill out the online NRL right away."

I guess can fill out your info first but the part about taking the plats is new to me.

Some also say to get and picture of their license and make sure they have insurance. I'm to verify they have insurance before they leave with the car?

Last edited:
Hello all,

I purchased my first Tesla in 2021 from a buyer who I met here on TMC. We used a service called TRED (link below), which offers an escrow service to protect both parties during the sale. They also collect the sales tax from you and send you an overnight envelope that contains the title, your tax payment in the form of cashier's check, a bill of sale, etc. The process was extremely easy and only cost 1% of the total transaction amount (in my case, it was under $500).

As I understand the process: TRED holds your payment in escrow while the seller sends them the title information to review. Once the title is authenticated, the seller can release the vehicle to the transportation company. Upon arrival to the buyer, the buyer can look over the vehicle inside and out before accepting the delivery. If the buyer refuses delivery, then a claim can be made through TRED. If the buyer accepts delivery, the proceeds of sale are remitted to the seller.

TRED also offers to connect buyers with contractors who can pick up, transport, and drop off your new vehicle. I would suggest shopping around, as carriers charge varying prices for delivery service. Even if you arrange transport with a third party outside of TRED, you (and the seller) are still covered if something goes wrong.

I am now looking to purchase my 4th Tesla and plan to use TRED again for this transaction. (I am not in any way sponsored or affiliated with TRED - I just want to help other TMC users feel comfortable in purchasing a vehicle here while still being protected from scammers and people who may misrepresent their vehicle/intentions.

I hope this helped! Good luck to everyone in the market for a vehicle here on TMC! :)

100k on blind faith, yeah that’s not gonna end well. Unless you have money to burn, you should look into a third party to protect both of you. A car broker or a local mechanic at the cars location might be a good way to ensure you’re getting what you’re paying for.

In short, you are buying a $100K+ car on faith ----- very bold!

I imagine the seller is trustworthy enough that you to consider that (not surprising, since most folks posting here are legit and have more honest livelihoods than being a scammer).

Few things to think about:
1) If you cant fly out, how are you transferring ownership at a DMV?
2) Let's assume you own the car on day X and then you arrange for car to be picked up on day Y and shipped, how do you deal with any unforeseen "incidents" with the car between these days X and Y? (insurance etc.)
3) I assume you have thought about complexity of out of state car purchase (assuming that is the case)
-- etc etc other complexities ...

Since you raised this questions/posting on the forum for the Car Broker Australia suggestion, my unsolicited suggestion is that you may want to look at something more local (or at least go there and close the deal
in person).

Good luck.
When purchasing a car remotely and arranging for shipping, it's important to take certain precautions to ensure a safe and smooth transaction. Here are some steps you can consider:
  1. Payment method: To ensure a safe payment, consider using a secure method such as a bank wire transfer or an escrow service. Avoid using methods like cash or personal checks, as they may not offer the same level of protection.
  2. Verification and inspection: Request detailed information about the car's condition, maintenance history, and any potential issues. Ask for additional photos or videos to get a better understanding of the car's condition. If possible, hire a third-party inspection service near the seller's location to perform a thorough inspection on your behalf.
  3. Vehicle history report: Obtain the vehicle identification number (VIN) from the seller and purchase a comprehensive vehicle history report from a reputable provider. This report can reveal important information about the car's ownership, accident history, and other relevant details.
  4. Trustworthy seller: Do some research on the seller to verify their credibility. Check their online presence, reviews, and ratings. Look for any red flags or suspicious behavior. Communicate with the seller via phone or video call to establish a level of trust and ask any questions you may have.
  5. Shipping arrangements: Discuss shipping options with the seller and ensure that they have experience with car shipping. Obtain a written agreement outlining the terms of the shipment, including pickup and delivery locations, estimated transit time, and insurance coverage.
  6. Insurance and tracking: Ensure that the car is adequately insured during transit. Request the shipping company's insurance details and verify their coverage. Additionally, inquire about the ability to track the shipment so you can monitor its progress.
  7. Contract and documentation: Prepare a purchase agreement or contract that outlines the terms and conditions of the sale, including the agreed-upon price, payment method, shipping details, and any warranties or guarantees. Both parties should sign the contract to establish a legally binding agreement.
It's always advisable to consult with a legal professional or car buying expert who can guide you through the process and offer specific advice based on your situation.

When purchasing a car remotely and arranging for shipping, it's important to take certain precautions to ensure a safe and smooth transaction. Here are some steps you can consider:
  1. Payment method: To ensure a safe payment, consider using a secure method such as a bank wire transfer or an escrow service. Avoid using methods like cash or personal checks, as they may not offer the same level of protection.
  2. Verification and inspection: Request detailed information about the car's condition, maintenance history, and any potential issues. Ask for additional photos or videos to get a better understanding of the car's condition. If possible, hire a third-party inspection service near the seller's location to perform a thorough inspection on your behalf.
  3. Vehicle history report: Obtain the vehicle identification number (VIN) from the seller and purchase a comprehensive vehicle history report from a reputable provider. This report can reveal important information about the car's ownership, accident history, and other relevant details.
  4. Trustworthy seller: Do some research on the seller to verify their credibility. Check their online presence, reviews, and ratings. Look for any red flags or suspicious behavior. Communicate with the seller via phone or video call to establish a level of trust and ask any questions you may have.
  5. Shipping arrangements: Discuss shipping options with the seller and ensure that they have experience with car shipping. Obtain a written agreement outlining the terms of the shipment, including pickup and delivery locations, estimated transit time, and insurance coverage.
  6. Insurance and tracking: Ensure that the car is adequately insured during transit. Request the shipping company's insurance details and verify their coverage. Additionally, inquire about the ability to track the shipment so you can monitor its progress.
  7. Contract and documentation: Prepare a purchase agreement or contract that outlines the terms and conditions of the sale, including the agreed-upon price, payment method, shipping details, and any warranties or guarantees. Both parties should sign the contract to establish a legally binding agreement.
It's always advisable to consult with a legal professional or car buying expert who can guide you through the process and offer specific advice based on your situation.
I have seen enough ChatGPT responses to know exactly what I’m looking at here.

1. Out of state inspector to inspect, drive, and report back with video.
2. Escrow company outside seller's town.
3. Covered transport.

I got my 2015 S85D from Seattle to OH sight unseen, 7 years of pure fun.

FYI once you get seller's name run a Google and social media search,
anything like unstable household, court records, criminal record should
make you immediately stop.

Hello all,

I purchased my first Tesla in 2021 from a buyer who I met here on TMC. We used a service called TRED (link below), which offers an escrow service to protect both parties during the sale. They also collect the sales tax from you and send you an overnight envelope that contains the title, your tax payment in the form of cashier's check, a bill of sale, etc. The process was extremely easy and only cost 1% of the total transaction amount (in my case, it was under $500).

As I understand the process: TRED holds your payment in escrow while the seller sends them the title information to review. Once the title is authenticated, the seller can release the vehicle to the transportation company. Upon arrival to the buyer, the buyer can look over the vehicle inside and out before accepting the delivery. If the buyer refuses delivery, then a claim can be made through TRED. If the buyer accepts delivery, the proceeds of sale are remitted to the seller.

TRED also offers to connect buyers with contractors who can pick up, transport, and drop off your new vehicle. I would suggest shopping around, as carriers charge varying prices for delivery service. Even if you arrange transport with a third party outside of TRED, you (and the seller) are still covered if something goes wrong.

I am now looking to purchase my 4th Tesla and plan to use TRED again for this transaction. (I am not in any way sponsored or affiliated with TRED - I just want to help other TMC users feel comfortable in purchasing a vehicle here while still being protected from scammers and people who may misrepresent their vehicle/intentions.

I hope this helped! Good luck to everyone in the market for a vehicle here on TMC! :)

Seems like TRED has been absorbed into Autotrader. Do you know of an alternative?