Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best practices for charging for a long trip in cold weather

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Look at the charge indicator level. The recommended line is at 85 percent level

I think you are misreading the indicator. They are at 10% increments (see below) and Tesla recommends 90% for daily charges but to each his own.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1448718500.162250.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1448718629.823112.jpg

Brilliant chicken little has it set at 85%. Now he looks at the charge indicator and there is a small arrow at 85 which he believes means that is the recommended level by tesla.

Yes, common knowledge if you ask any tech- charge to 90 daily

Here is another way to effectively pre-heat the battery: Charge it to 95%. Get in the car, drive and have some fun with the accelerator for 5-10 min. Drive back home, plug in and charge to 100% while heating the car. Nothing heats the battery better than internal resistance causing heat. It's generated right inside the cell.

I'll be leaving in mid-December (Montreal to Miami); where Montreal to Albany is one of the longer distances to travel before hitting a Super Charger.
You can be sure that the temperatures will be below freezing.
My car is always in a heated garage; but yet I notice now when leaving in the morning, my battery indicates its cold with the orange markers on the energy screen.
Even if I pre-heat the car in the garage, it doesn't seem to heat the battery; I remember reading that the battery will not get heated if the temperature is not below the 40's F; whereas my garage stays in the 60's F.
So, hear's my question: Is it better to leave the car the night before outside (plugged in); charge it to 100% starting around 4 am, and start pre-heating an hour or so before leaving? My thoughts are that the car would heat the battery (because it's f'n cold in Montreal mid-December) while being plugged in so when I'd leave at 7 am I'll be starting with no orange markers.
Any comments?

Have you considered going through Burlington? No long gap on the side on. You'll have the SC in Burlington. Although I understand it wouldn't be as quick.

Do you maybe mean South Burlington, Vermont? Because I do not understand how the Burlington, North Carolina Supercharger applies in this conversation.

South Burlington Supercharger | Tesla Motors
Burlington NC Supercharger | Tesla Motors

And there's also the original Burlington Supercharger here in WA state:
Burlington Supercharger | Tesla Motors

Good to know if I ever have to call about a problem with the Burlington Supercharger I should note which one. Who knew there were three?