Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best Practices for Wired Phone Charging in 2021 Model 3/Y?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
To owners of 2021 Model 3/Y's who have phones that can't charge wirelessly (either because they use a thick case, or a pop socket, or they just have an older phone without wireless charging), what are some approaches y'all are using to charge your phones?

For example:
Where do you place the phone?
How to you route the charging cable?
Etc.

(Alternatively, if a similar thread already exists that covers this topic, please share a link. I couldn't find one, and was very surprised by this, so maybe I just failed to find it.)

I'm interested in this too... not all phone have wireless charging and I actually prefer to stay wired. I really wish we had the option of wired charging like the older cars. or at least have a way to put the phone in a spot with a cable attached. I'm about to order a new Model X and this is a minor issue.

Upvote 0
Still hoping some 2021 owners might chime in.

In the meantime, I’ll share some thoughts…
I’m thinking of getting a 2021 Model 3, and I have a pop socket on my iPhone 12 which I’m quite fond of, so I won’t be giving it up just for easy charging in a car. And I’d strongly prefer any wired charging solution to be quick and easy to plug in and unplug with one hand, so no loose charging connectors.

The options as I see them are:
  1. Install one of those third-party phone mounts with an integrated charging plug that attach to the back of the touchscreen.
    • Pro: Easy.
    • Cons: I’d prefer to keep the phone in the standard location.
  2. 3D-print a custom plastic part that will firmly snap onto the phone dock (i confirmed that there’s a nice lip on the bottom of the phone dock for this piece to press against) and also firmly hold a charging cable’s lightning connector, which could be routed from a rear USB-C port similar to in this video.
    • Pro: Uses the standard phone dock location.
    • Cons: Not simple. (Requires custom part.)
    • 3D-printed plastic part might be a bit unsightly.
  3. 3D-print a plastic part that will firmly snap onto the phone dock and hold a wireless charging adapter (like this one).
    • Pro: No cables.
    • Cons: Not simple. (Custom part.)
    • Show charging.
    • Might be a tad unsightly.
  4. Just switch to a MagSafe case and get a MagSafe pop socket.
    • Pro: Simple.
    • Cons: Would have to remove pop socket every time wanting to wirelessly charge.
    • Magsafe pop socket not as secure as stick-on version.
  5. Try to find a way to route a charging cable up underneath the trim to the bottom of the phone dock. Would require removing the center console trim piece that includes the phone dock and drilling/cutting a hole for the connector to stick out of and firmly securing it in place somehow.
    • Pro: Could be the cleanest/best option if doable.
    • Con: Difficult / maybe not even possible. (Available videos of trim removals don’t show enough detail.)
    • Would require permanently altering the trim piece.
And other ideas?

• Informative
Reactions: CheapBastid
Upvote 0
I have this: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B08T6CL8P1 center console organizer. It comes with a hole to route a USB-C to USB-C cable through it. I bought this specific cable: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B081SGN38S

I run the cable through the center console organizer and out to the wireless charging base. I just plug up my phone and lay it on the wireless charging spot and it's all good. Fits well and when not using your phone the cable is out of the way in the organizer.

• Informative
Reactions: jsmay311
Upvote 0
I have this: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B08T6CL8P1 center console organizer. It comes with a hole to route a USB-C to USB-C cable through it. I bought this specific cable: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B081SGN38S

I run the cable through the center console organizer and out to the wireless charging base. I just plug up my phone and lay it on the wireless charging spot and it's all good. Fits well and when not using your phone the cable is out of the way in the organizer.
Sorry to necro this, I really couldn't find another topic similar....

I similarly bought a right angle cable (https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B09DKHFS2C/) and I was able to tuck it under the trim and run it down to the bottom.... but one issue is that with a larger phone (Pixel 3A for example), there's just not enough space to plug it in/remove it.

My main phone is a pixel 4a, and even that is being shoved up a bit high to feel comfortable/right.

Long term, I'm really hoping there's a possible solution like #5 above. either a custom console part to replace (including a snaked usb cable(s)), or a way to run a cable up through the bottom of the trim (putting a hole there would not be a huge issue due to how the lip hides it).

Upvote 0

Thank you for the link to the organizer. Exactly what I was looking for!

Upvote 0
Fast forward 2 years and I bought a 2023 Model 3, so now this topic has new urgency for me and my PopSocket-ed phone.

I’m planning to remove the phone dock+charger+trim piece to see if there'd be a practical way to drill a few holes and route a charging cable to the bottom edge of the phone dock and secure the connector in place to replicate the phone charging setup from the 2017-2020 Model 3's. And so I don't have to route a cable from one of the USB-C ports, one idea would be to take 12V power from the existing harness/connector that connects to the wireless charger and then use a converter to step it down to 5V. I want to maintain functionality of the wireless charger for passengers, so I’d have to splice in the new wires somehow or make a tee harness.

Anyway... just wanted to revive this thread before I dive into this project to see if anyone else has come up with any other interesting / creative / effective solutions in the past couple years.(?)

Upvote 0
To owners of 2021 Model 3/Y's who have phones that can't charge wirelessly (either because they use a thick case, or a pop socket, or they just have an older phone without wireless charging), what are some approaches y'all are using to charge your phones?

For example:
Where do you place the phone?
How to you route the charging cable?
Etc.

(Alternatively, if a similar thread already exists that covers this topic, please share a link. I couldn't find one, and was very surprised by this, so maybe I just failed to find it.)
This may be a disappointingly simple response... but here it is. My phone charges wirelessly if I put it in the cradle. But often I am using a language learning app while I am driving and so I need to push the pause / play button (which I can do without looking but I need to have my phone in my hand). And so I have a USB-C cable plugged in to the driver side port in the back seat (rear of the center console) and then it is routed up between the seat and the center console. I have one velcro wrap that holds it tight to the seatbelt mount and that is it. It is black so you really don't notice it. Even when it drops to the floor I can grab it without even looking. And I can set the phone on top of the center console if I don't need to start/stop the app and it is pretty stable there.

Upvote 0
I just do this:

Phone Charging.jpg

I've tried some more elegant solutions, but it's not worth the effort.

I actually rarely charge a phone there. That phone is a broken-screen Pixel 3a that I use for filming some things.

Upvote 0
Ok, so I did it. I added an Apple Lightning connector to the bottom edge of the phone dock in my 2023 Model 3 so I could easily charge my iPhone in the dock without removing my PopSocket. It wasn't super easy, but now I'll be a happy camper for years to come. :)

1702491935612.png

1702498384130.png

1702491964159.png

To do this (at a minimum) you need a charging cable with a 90 degree connector, and it requires (1) cutting a hole in the bottom of the phone dock for the charging connector to stick through and (2) cutting away some plastic in the underlying trim piece to make space for that connector and cable.

I chose to go a bit above-and-beyond by using a 12V-to-USB_A converter (bought on Amazon) and making a little electrical harness to take power from the harness that connects to the wireless charger. This allowed me to (A) keep the wireless charger operational and (B) not use up any of the existing USB-C ports. But going this route made the project quite a bit more difficult, so I probably wouldn’t recommend it. (And if I had to do it again, I'd probably use Posi-taps to tap into the 12V power much more easily and cheaply than making that janky harness, which was a PITA.)

My setup:
1702492100062.png

Instead of using a 12V converter, I think there’s probably got to be a way to simply fish a USB extension cable down to one of the USB-C ports in the center console without interfering with the sliding door mechanism, but I’m not 100% sure since I didn’t try it myself. Alternatively, you could probably route a cable underneath/along the trim on the side of the center console to one of the rear USB-C ports.

If you want to go with the simpler approach and plug into a USB-C port, here’s what you’d need:

Materials:
  • A Gen 1 Model 3 phone dock USB-A charging cable
    • I used one with a Lightning connector, but USB-C cables are also available
    • A different non-Tesla 90-degree cable might also work and could eliminate the need for an extension cable, but try at your own risk. The OEM cable worked well, in part because the connector has a very slight taper to it, which helps to get a snug fit in the hole you'll cut for it.
  • A USB-C male to USB-A female extension cable
  • Possibly required: Replacement trim clips from Tesla
  • Optional: small p-clip and #10(?) sheetmetal screw for cable management (not 100% sure about the screw size)
Tools:
  • Drill and drill bits
  • Small hand files (flat and round)
  • X-acto knife (or similar)
  • Dremel with cutting wheel (or some other tool to cut away plastic from trim piece)
  • Screwdriver and T20 torx bit
1702492400733.png

(This photo shows a Gen 1 Model 3 USB-C phone charging cable as an example. I used a Lightning connector version of the same cable in my install.)

Steps:
  1. Remove the phone dock/charger/trim piece.
    • How-to videos:
      • This one shows mostly the same process as the one above, but it also shows how to disconnect the harness from the wireless charger:
    • After removing the trim, make sure that all of the metal clip inserts are accounted for and not broken. Otherwise it won't go back together right. I lost one and broke another and had to replace them. My local service center gave me a handful for free just by asking.
  2. Remove the underlying trim piece.
    • How-to video:
      • (same vid as first one above but with a different start time)
    • Requires a T20 torx bit
  3. Figure out how to route the cable to a USB-C port before proceeding*.
    • If you try to route it to one of the USB-C ports in the “front” storage area, make sure it won’t interfere with the sliding door mechanism
  4. Cut a hole for the charging cable connector using a drill and files.
    • See photos in next post for recommended location.
    • Be careful to only make it just big enough for the connector to stick as far through as necessary. You want a snug fit. I used a drill bit to drill two holes next to each other, then I used an x-acto knife to connect the holes and trim away the suede. Then I used two small files -- one flat and one round -- get the size and shape of the slot just right to fit the connector.
  5. Cut away plastic from the underlying trim piece to make room for the connector and cable.
    • With both trim pieces removed from the car, you can do “dry fits” by fitting the 2 trim pieces together with the cable inserted into the dock to see where material needs to be removed. Ideally, make your cuts strategically so that the remaining plastic will prevent the connector from being pushed back out the hole you created in step 4. Alternatively, you could just glue the connector in place instead.
  6. Reinstall everything.
*If do you attempt this install and find a good way to route the charging cable to one of the USB-C ports, please share how you do it.

[There's a limit to how many photos I can put in a single post, so I'll continue in another post...]

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: QUBO
Upvote 0
[Continued]

Here are some more photos and notes:

These 2 photos show where I drilled the hole for the charging connector.
The little rib/gusset in the plastic is a helpful landmark to center the hole. And make sure you get the hole high enough in the dock (or low enough in this photo’s orientation since the trim is shown upside-down). I had to file away a little bit of extra plastic to get the connector to fit straight through the hole.

1702496406599.png

1702496428137.png

And here’s where the connector sticks out on the other side. I cut away some of the suede with an x-acto knife after drilling the holes. The frayed suede doesn’t look great, but it's not visible once it's installed back in the car.

1702496451274.png

This shows the dimensions of the OEM Tesla Gen 1 Model 3 phone cable connector to help with sizing your hole. The connector is slightly tapered, which helps with getting a snug fit in the hole.

1702496556562.png

These next 2 photos show a “dry fit” of the 2 trim pieces with the cable installed before I cut away any plastic from the bottom trim piece. Note how the connector keeps them from fitting together flush.

1702496570859.png

1702496653929.png

This photo shows the cuts that I made in the underlying trim piece. Note that I unintentionally cut away more plastic than I needed to clear the connector. Because of this, I was worried that the connector might get pushed back out through the hole, so I added a tiny black screw to keep it from getting pushed out. But you’d be better off being more strategic with your cuts so that the trim piece itself prevents the connector from getting pushed back out through the hole. Or gluing it in place might work too.

1702496850056.png

Here's a photo of what's under the phone dock area when you remove it. Note the little metal clip insert that fell off the upper trim piece and was left in this slot. It should've stayed on the upper trim piece, but it got stuck and bent beyond repair and had to be replaced.

1702496732890.png

Here's the same view as above but with the sliding door retracted. This is just to show that if you want to snake a cable down into the front storage compartment, you have to avoid interfering with this door.

1702496772713.png

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Ok, so I did it. I added an Apple Lightning connector to the bottom edge of the phone dock in my 2023 Model 3 so I could easily charge my iPhone in the dock without removing my PopSocket. It wasn't super easy, but now I'll be a happy camper for years to come. :)
Until you have to re-do your work for a USB-C connector when upgrading to the iPhone 15 or newer. :p

Upvote 0
Until you have to re-do your work for a USB-C connector when upgrading to the iPhone 15 or newer. :p
That's why I've got a USB-C version of the same cable ready to swap in. Easy peasy.

Also, I just had a new battery installed in my iPhone 12, so hopefully it’ll be a few years before I need to make a change.

Last edited:
Reactions: BigNick
Upvote 0