Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best Price on Cooper 5754N or Hubbell HBL9450A?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Everyone is having 14-50's installed and prices seem to vary allot. My electrician asked me to provide the outlet so as to ensure a good price.

Cheapest I have found so far is the Cooper

Cooper Wiring 5754N - Buy Now | Westway Electric Supply
$59.44 after tax and shipping.

For a little more I can prime the hubbell
https://www.amazon.com/Hubbell-Wiri...8&qid=1532722760&sr=8-3&keywords=cooper+5754n
$79.98

Is the Hubbell better than the Cooper?

Also off topic, I asked the electrician about running 100feet 4awg instead 6awg, he said it would be an extra $150.
Would this be a good idea in case I want to install the Tesla Wall Connector later?

The stabdard Leviton 14-50 works fine ..have had one as backup over 4yrs no issue ..I would run #4 and buy materials myself ..as the price differential isn’t that much from the bulk roll than u are set for WC in future

Btw what do those expensive 14-50 plugs get you ?

The stabdard Leviton 14-50 works fine ..have had one as backup over 4yrs no issue ..I would run #4 and buy materials myself ..as the price differential isn’t that much from the bulk roll than u are set for WC in future

Btw what do those expensive 14-50 plugs get you ?

More plug / unplug cycles and they supposedly stand up to high constant current better.

I was just reading the WC would need #3 or maybe even #2 wires.

I'm thinking I might just have him run an extra 6awg instead so a second 14-50 could be installed at a later time?

The WC needs larger wires if you are going to use max 100a or 90a breaker ...not sure what car u are getting but normally 48a is good and #4 will be good ...if u plan on keeping the car I would build this as if u were getting the WC and the 14-50 being temporary ..my situation was easy as I did a back to back run of less than 3ft ..the 14-50 actually was used a lot recently when Tesla broke my gen 1 HPWC with software ...in terms of plug/unplug cycles the Leviton costs like $10 I have easily in four years done a hundred plus and plug is still fine ...I was just curious as the cost differential was so much from the stuff u get at Home Depot and was looking at pic and nothing jumped out in terms of build

The WC needs larger wires if you are going to use max 100a or 90a breaker ...not sure what car u are getting but normally 48a is good and #4 will be good ...if u plan on keeping the car I would build this as if u were getting the WC and the 14-50 being temporary ..my situation was easy as I did a back to back run of less than 3ft ..the 14-50 actually was used a lot recently when Tesla broke my gen 1 HPWC with software ...in terms of plug/unplug cycles the Leviton costs like $10 I have easily in four years done a hundred plus and plug is still fine ...I was just curious as the cost differential was so much from the stuff u get at Home Depot and was looking at pic and nothing jumped out in terms of build

I honestly don't know, just going with tesla recommendation. I heard they are heavier though. Guess that answered my questions about Hubbell vs Cooper.. Sounds like the Cooper is already above and beyond.

For the wires, I was trying to future proof for having 2 EV's someday. But it sounds like I should just worry about the one I have for now and get the 4awg. HPWC later would still allow 48 with 4awg which is good enough for the car I have now.

For load sharing another EV with two WCs best is get the #3 ...problem in future is if u go this route(14-50) and ur electrician runs conduit ..u most likely will need to upsize conduit due to heat issues ..with WC u would run 2 #3s and maybe a 6 or 8 for ground ...with the 14-50 u need to run four wires ..3 6s and an 8 ground ...THHN/THWN is not too much if u buy from bulk roll at Home Depot

For load sharing another EV with two WCs best is get the #3 ...problem in future is if u go this route(14-50) and ur electrician runs conduit ..u most likely will need to upsize conduit due to heat issues ..with WC u would run 2 #3s and maybe a 6 or 8 for ground ...with the 14-50 u need to run four wires ..3 6s and an 8 ground ...THHN/THWN is not too much if u buy from bulk roll at Home Depot

He said he can do 1.25" pipe to the box in the garage which will allow for larger conduit in the future to be pulled. Then he will run #4 wire into a smaller conduit to my outlet.
With #4 I can still upgrade to WC later to charge at 48 amps?

This way I can easily fish wire (probably #6) through the larger 1.25" conduit later for a 14-50 outlet for another ev.

He said he can do 1.25" pipe to the box in the garage which will allow for larger conduit in the future to be pulled. Then he will run #4 wire into a smaller conduit to my outlet.
Yes number #4 u can use a 60a breaker and get 48a on WC looks like u will have nice setup !

I hope so. I ordered the cooper, came out to $69 shipped with tax. Still beats amazon's $80 + tax and I don't need it in 2 days (no car yet)...

This way I can easily fish wire (probably #6) through the larger 1.25" conduit later for a 14-50 outlet for another ev.

Yes number #4 u can use a 60a breaker and get 48a on WC looks like u will have nice setup !
If he's pulling THHN in conduit, you can use the 75 deg column and get a 60A circuit. 100ft will give you a voltage drop of <2% (<4V). #4 cu @ 75 deg is good for 85A (64A HPWC setting).

You could also save money by not pulling a neutral and installing a 6-50, especially if you are planning to install a HPWC later. You'll probably save enough on installation to cover the cost of the 6-50 adapter.

IMHO, it's stupid that Tesla standardized on the 14-50 and had all that wasted copper installed for 50A neutrals that will never be used...

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: P85_DA
You could also save money by not pulling a neutral and installing a 6-50,

Good point ...there was another thread that discussed this same issue ...for short runs going from 14-50 to WC not a big deal to pull out cable later ...but for a long run if u know you will do WC than run wiring that way ...the 6-50 fits this scenario perfectly

If he's pulling THHN in conduit, you can use the 75 deg column and get a 60A circuit. 100ft will give you a voltage drop of <2% (<4V). #4 cu @ 75 deg is good for 85A (64A HPWC setting).

You could also save money by not pulling a neutral and installing a 6-50, especially if you are planning to install a HPWC later. You'll probably save enough on installation to cover the cost of the 6-50 adapter.

IMHO, it's stupid that Tesla standardized on the 14-50 and had all that wasted copper installed for 50A neutrals that will never be used...

Yeah, I think Tesla includes the 14-50 by default since it is a lot more common in the wild than a 6-50. RV parks everywhere, plus a lot of folks have installed them at their houses to support their RV’s. Not to mention ovens of course...

But yeah, neutrals are a waste of wire for EVSE applications.

Reactions: P85_DA
I honestly don't know, just going with tesla recommendation. I heard they are heavier though. Guess that answered my questions about Hubbell vs Cooper.. Sounds like the Cooper is already above and beyond.

For the wires, I was trying to future proof for having 2 EV's someday. But it sounds like I should just worry about the one I have for now and get the 4awg. HPWC later would still allow 48 with 4awg which is good enough for the car I have now.
I am doing this right now. I have 6awg running to a junction box where it splits to a 14-50 and a Wall charger. If I ever need to add another wall charger, the wiring is already there (including conduit for the data link. They will then share/load balance the 50amp circuit.

I am doing this right now. I have 6awg running to a junction box where it splits to a 14-50 and a Wall charger. If I ever need to add another wall charger, the wiring is already there (including conduit for the data link. They will then share/load balance the 50amp circuit.

Hrm, I don’t know if this is code compliant.

There are a bunch of code sections that don’t apply if you have a single 14-50 on a given circuit. If it has more than one receptacle on a circuit I know other rules apply. Not sure what happens if a Wall Connector and a receptacles are on a circuit. I would have to go research.

Now from a practical standpoint, as long as only one in use at a time this would clearly be fine as long as it is a 50a breaker and the wall connnector is limited to 40a. Just I am not sure if it is code compliant.

There are a bunch of code sections that don’t apply if you have a single 14-50 on a given circuit. If it has more than one receptacle on a circuit I know other rules apply. Not sure what happens if a Wall Connector and a receptacles are on a circuit. I would have to go research.

Now from a practical standpoint, as long as only one in use at a time this would clearly be fine as long as it is a 50a breaker and the wall connnector is limited to 40a. Just I am not sure if it is code compliant.
It’s wired exactly per instructions in the wall connector manual

The electrician wired everything per the Tesla manual for a load sharing setup. If the inspector has a problem with having the 14-50 there for a future load-sharing Wall Charger, then I’ll pull it off, cap the wires, and put a blank face plate on the box. The key is to get all the wires pre-positioned before the drywall goes up.

Reactions: eprosenx
I just found the cooper outlet for $12 and ordered from the link below. I was considering the Hubbell before that since my plug will be used constantly since my UMC will never be left outside under my carport if it is not charging. My outlet will have to run up from my box through conduit into my attic and 30 feet through the attic and through the wall and down through the carport roof which does expose it to weather.

Cooper Wiring Devices - 5754n, Straight Blade Receptacle - Dale Electric Supply Co.

What is the best way to weatherproof the outlet? It will need to be in a box most like;y and won't be mounted inside the wall. My old 110v outlet is not properly grounded and I can't charge off of it. Looking to have my electrician friend and his dad who is certified help with the install.

Update: Just got a call back and it is back-ordered right now so I may install a leviton until that is in stock.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: V__2
I just found the cooper outlet for $12 and ordered from the link below. I was considering the Hubbell before that since my plug will be used constantly since my UMC will never be left outside under my carport if it is not charging. My outlet will have to run up from my box through conduit into my attic and 30 feet through the attic and through the wall and down through the carport roof which does expose it to weather.

Cooper Wiring Devices - 5754n, Straight Blade Receptacle - Dale Electric Supply Co.

What is the best way to weatherproof the outlet? It will need to be in a box most like;y and won't be mounted inside the wall. My old 110v outlet is not properly grounded and I can't charge off of it. Looking to have my electrician friend and his dad who is certified help with the install.

I like these Eaton waterproof boxes which include a receptacle. The one I just installed came with a cooper receptacle but it had no part #’s on it so I could not verify it was the one Tesla recommends.

$34 from my local Home Depot, or apparently $29 from the Key West Home Depot (price changes if you change your store which is interesting).

Eaton 50 Amp 1-Space 1-Circuit Temporary RV Power Outlet Box-CHU1S - The Home Depot