Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

best products to keep black plastic trim looking great?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have the grey MY, wow did my trim and rear door panels take a beating this past winter. 13k miles and the rear door panels and trim appear sandblasted. After much internet searching and video watching, I ended up using the Cerakote trim coat kit on the side trim. This is the first nice car I have owned in a long time, so I spent parts of 2 days prepping and treating my trim. (If I had not stupidly gotten carnauba wax on part of the trim last fall it would taken MUCH less time, lesson learned....) It has been about a month since I treated the trim. Keep in mind, I live in the country, plus changed to summer tires, so the trim is continuing to get beat up, but I am SUPER happy with the darker look of the Cerakote. I cannot say that it looks like new, due to the degree of road-induced roughness, but the blacker color looks richer to me, and it seems easier to clean now.
For application, I washed vehicle completely, scrubbed trim to be treated with the recommended dish soap as a degreaser step, let all dry thoroughly, then finally applied the Cerakote, which came in a pack of 10 wipes. 4 of the wipes were enough to get both sides done. The actual Cerakote application took less than 30 minutes, the longest step for me was letting the car dry completely. The package said to allow the Cerakote to dry for at least an hour after application, some people have recommended 24 hours, but that was not possible for me. I also masked the paint because I was taking the car in for ppf the following week. [Apologies for getting off-topic, ppf highly recommended, I live in rural area, wish I had gotten it done sooner, thanks to Custom Shields here in NE Ohio for ppf]. I would post pictures, but I am afraid of unnecessarily frightening people, my driving conditions (and driver preference) are pretty severe. I plan on using the Cerakote again in the future.

• Helpful
Reactions: CO_MY
Curious on the responses here, is this regarding the plastic parts that turn white-sh after some time like the OP mentioned or the trim that is now black (chrome deleted) on the new ones? I hope those don't turn white like the other black plastic pieces!

Formula 303 does the number, brand new M3 first gentle microfiber wash at home with softened water and trim on one side looked like this, 303 fixed it.
20220905_195518.jpg