Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best public EV charger pass for France?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I may never use it so hoping there might be a public charger pass card with no up front pre-payment or subscription for use in France? :D

Otherwise, what's recommended?

The trip is in 2 1/2 weeks so need the card by then.

Not in any way an answer to your question but as a general rule if road tripping in Europe would one expect to want more than superchargers and charge points that can be used without signing up in advance? We have a trip planned, to northern Germany and Norway mostly, and with a quick look at ABRP I felt quite relaxed about superchargers covering us, with coverage there seeming better than UK, but the routes could change.

Not in any way an answer to your question but as a general rule if road tripping in Europe would one expect to want more than superchargers and charge points that can be used without signing up in advance? We have a trip planned, to northern Germany and Norway mostly, and with a quick look at ABRP I felt quite relaxed about superchargers covering us, with coverage there seeming better than UK, but the routes could change.

It looks like charging at the home of friends we're staying with will be enough but it would be nice not to be restricted. We can get there on supercharging but it's around 100 miles from the final supercharger with no others much closer.

My KiWhi card arrived this morning :)

I posted about the ordering process here:

Third party charging in France

IMG_20200201_092718.jpg

Trip all planned - arriving at Dieppe bright and early on Friday morning. Will probably only have about 50% charge on arrival. We're staying off the Péage because although they are great motorways, we like the scenic route. First stop, Rouen Supercharger, then the Le Mans Supercharger for an early lunch. ABRP initially led me to Poitiers (Superchargers at Futuroscope) but I can save 50 minutes and 50 miles by going more direct and topping up (I'd like at least 40% remaining at our destination) for an hour using a local public charger in Saumur (Type 2 11kW/phase 3) courtesy of my new Easytrip KiWhi pass card. There are several other charging stations nearby in Saumur as well.

It's on an island in the Loire river in the centre of the town and you can see the big castle on the other side overlooking the river. I'm sure we won't be bored for an hour or so.

Glad I'm not going on market day (Saturday) though! Photos on the Chargemap site show that the market stall holders and visitors have yet to appreciate the importance of EV charging! Another photo appears to show a motorbike iceing the charger as well :( Wish me luck!

SIEML - SAUMUR - Av Charles De Gaulle : charging station in Saumur

Reactions: bitmanEV
Ali good news, the KiWhi card worked faultlessly in Saumur and my home made adapter cable is currently connecting the car to our friend's electricity and I got the live/neutral polarity right first time.

IMG_20200214_183139.jpg

Home made 16A European schuko to 32A commando to UMC Gen 1 in action (13A)

IMG_20200214_154609_1.jpg

Public charger in Saumur (AC type 2 11kW 3 phase) Not iced, worked first time, actually easy to use; couldn't be happier! 12kW in one hour and a bit, about €3. More range anxiety consigned to the bin!

IMG_20200214_154556.jpg

IMG_20200214_154539.jpg

You need your own cable and it gets locked, literally, inside the charge box while it's in use.

Last edited:
So abrp predicted 351 wH/m for out trip from Dieppe to Sud Vendëe but we managed 321 according to Teslafi, so quite pleased about that.

The UMC plus home made adapter extension working well too.
Great updates, appreciated. I'll be getting a KiWhi/EasyTrip card based on your experience. Heading down to Spain in a couple of months, unfortunately it doesn't seem compatible there so need to find an equivalent. There's one place i'm going to which will be inconvenient to have to reroute to a supercharger (I've only had 1 previous inconvenience in 10,000 miles so not too bad!)

Great updates, appreciated. I'll be getting a KiWhi/EasyTrip card based on your experience. Heading down to Spain in a couple of months, unfortunately it doesn't seem compatible there so need to find an equivalent. There's one place i'm going to which will be inconvenient to have to reroute to a supercharger (I've only had 1 previous inconvenience in 10,000 miles so not too bad!)

Spain is another cattle of fish i'm afraid been there last year (Ayamonte) with the 24kWh Leaf
Used lots of Apps; Electomaps / HonestCharging / Easy Charger / Wenea / EDP moveon & RFID Cards; New Motion / Plugsurfing

In April going again to Ayamonte but this time in the Model 3

Any questions just ask / PM

IMG_2735.jpg