Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best Radar Detector?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have K40s in four cars. Front rear and laser installed is around $1,400. I used a V1 prior and am much happier with the totally hidden K40. My P90D is due to be delivered this month and it will get one as well.

I custom designed an easily removable Valentine1 mount for the model 3 and model Y.
That I 3d print out of advanced High temp plastic.

I custom designed an easily removable Valentine1 mount for the model 3 and model Y.
That I 3d print out of advanced High temp plastic.
Nothing beats the Valentine One. Except for the ****ing glass windshield of the stupid ass Tesla lol.

I wish they had the "open space" in the older cars but nope full coverage of the metallic coating over the whole damn windshield.

I have a whistler in mine and it works reasonably good but not eventually remotely close the the V1. I have it mounted to the bumper behind the nosecone and the display under the driver's side vent on the dash.

There are actually options measurably better than the V1 if you're willing to go stealth install.
I've tried remote radar detectors - dual Stinger VIP and dual ALP (so both support directional warning). I still say V1 + an app for auto muting (speed based and learned known falses) works better than others, particularly for BSM filtering and directional indicator. Coated windows do impede windshield mounted detectors though. I used remote mount along side V1 for additional information. Since I have shielding windows right now (my Tesla had them too), I am seriously considering just mounting the V1 on the roof in some sort of weatherproof enclosure. Perhaps make it into a project, consolidate radar warnings from the remote mount ALP's and roof mounted V1, give me some consolidated information.

I drive 40-45K miles per year across a few different vehicles, and I'm extremely happy with V1G2. Though I'm an iPhone guy, I keep an old Android on one of the charger pads running JBV1. If you haven't tried that app integrated to V1G2 by bluetooth, it is an extremely effective countermeasures solution for those who drive long distances.

My V1 gets a strong signal from the automatic doors at the local gas stationin my 2021 Model S Plaid.
Hmmm. My Uniden R7 works great in my 2022 Model 3 and it is mounted in the same place on the windshield.
Welcome to Tesla and their continuous production changes. Out of 4 Model S'es I owned, 2 of them has windshields which blocked radar (easily confirmed by parking with a V1 in front of a radar source like a supermarket door opener, comparing signal strength through the windshield vs. sticking the detector out the window), and 2 of them had no shielding at all. Both my and my wife's car today (non-Tesla, we switched from all-Tesla to all-VWAG garage) have shielded windshields which block radar. Lucky VW provides an area on the windshield where you can mount a toll pass, which is not shielded. With Tesla, one of the two shielded vehicles had such area (I had to find it myself), and one did not. Even the one that did though, the area was too small for V1, it worked ok for a toll tag though. For my Tesla, I ended up with a front+back Stinger VIP install. One nice thing with a remote install, you get laser jamming, which is absolutely required to beat laser equipped LEOs - just a laser detector is nothing more than a ticket indicator, it lets you know you've been clocked, too late to do anything about it. That said, I was still clocked once by an airplane. 🤷‍♂️

Reactions: HankLloydRight
My V1 goes off when LEOs come by the other way with their rolling radar.
On my BMW M60 EV SUV the windshield actually turns color when you turn it off in cold weather.

there's a spot in the top center that is for toll tags and radar detectors.
another member uses a blendmount on his BMW and he is happy with it.