Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best Rear Mounted Bike Rack? ( no tow bar )

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've used the Bones in the past and they got the job done well enough if it fits your bike (your bike has a top bar or some other way to accommodate their mounting).
Bones 2-Bike Trunk Car Rack
I greatly prefer a tow hitch or roof rack mount now. My main reason is trunk access, lockable security, support for more bike styles via wheel mounting, and stability - but the good ones are pricey and not necessary if you are not a dedicated cyclist - IMHO. The bones should be perfect for casual use.

I’ve got a Saris bones 3, must admit it’s not a great fit on the model 3 (and I’ve used it on lots of cars over the last 3or4years). The saris is a great bike rack though, just the panel gaps on the model 3 (partic around the rear window) aren’t big enough

Also interested in this. I had an towbar bike rack (Atera Strada DL) on my previous car but didn’t option a tow bar on my Model 3 so sold it. So I’m also on the lookout for something new.

I checked Roofbox and the only option for Model 3 on there is this one from Thule, which looks pretty good actually - Tesla Model 3 (16 on) :Thule RaceWay rear door carrier for 2 bikes no. 991.

• Informative
Reactions: Tattersky
Also interested in this. I had an towbar bike rack (Atera Strada DL) on my previous car but didn’t option a tow bar on my Model 3 so sold it. So I’m also on the lookout for something new.

I checked Roofbox and the only option for Model 3 on there is this one from Thule, which looks pretty good actually - Tesla Model 3 (16 on) :Thule RaceWay rear door carrier for 2 bikes no. 991.
Looks good, but very similar to my Sarris Bones. Depending on your panel gaps I think you’ll have the same issue as me with the hooks that sit beneath the rear window. IMO there is a very good chance that it will catch the glass on the edge (which is the point where you’re most likely to crack it)

Looks good, but very similar to my Sarris Bones. Depending on your panel gaps I think you’ll have the same issue as me with the hooks that sit beneath the rear window. IMO there is a very good chance that it will catch the glass on the edge (which is the point where you’re most likely to crack it)

Yes good point, need to check out some reviews of people who’ve used it with a Model 3.

I thought I would re-start this thread, now that the summer holidays are over, as there might be some more first-hand experience with bike racks (without a tow bar).
I don't have a tow bar, but would be looking at a rear-mounted one for 3xbikes (I don't fancy suction cups!). Does anyone have any new experiences on their Model 3?

Moderator comment - post merged from "Boot/Trunk Cycle Rack Solutions"

Morning

Reviewing options for transporting two lightweight road bikes.

I have no tow bar (any third party experience out there) and don’t fancy roof bars so looking at boot fit solutions.

I have run a search but nothing of interest

Many thanks

h

Last edited by a moderator:
Moderator comment - post merged from "Boot/Trunk Cycle Rack Solutions"

Morning

Reviewing options for transporting two lightweight road bikes.

I have no tow bar (any third party experience out there) and don’t fancy roof bars so looking at boot fit solutions.

I have run a search but nothing of interest

Many thanks

h
Yup in the same boat mate. Regretting not getting a tow bar and to scared to mount then on the glass roof