Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best replacement tire for Michelin MXM4 Primacy

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarkNightP3D

Jan 10, 2020
Raleigh, NC, USA
The quietest grand touring tire is reportedly (by TireRack) the Pirelli Cinturato P7 type2, and it's also better in every other regard than the MXM4s, which are already long in the tooth. However, not sure if they have the proper load rating for our heavy M3s. But glad to hear the Vredesteins are also superior to the M3s, at least in noise. I find the MXM4s noisier than they should be, which is quite annoying on the awful asphalt prevalent on TX highways we often use.
DO NOT BUY THE P7 Cinturato All Season Plus II unless you do not care about efficiency. We put them on our Model 3 and consumption went from 280wh/mi at 75-80MPH to 350wh/mi. Over 2000 miles it never improved and the tires ended up getting removed and replaced back with the T1 (newer) spec of MXM4. Seeing a huge increase like that was shocking. It was a huge bummer because I LOVED everything about those tires vs. the MXM4. They were quiet, grippy, rode noticeably smoother, transmitted almost no vibration into the car, had a longer warranty, and cost less, but the efficiency just was too much to give up.

Reactions: Jejunjm

DarkNightP3D

Jan 10, 2020
Raleigh, NC, USA
I have the Vredestein Quatrac Pro's and they are outstanding. The quietest tire I've also had on any Tesla! Had 2 other Tesla's install them from the Swiss club and they are also very happy. Have been excellent in snow, rain, dry so far. And I drive in some pretty bad conditions in the Swiss Alps.
I really wish Discount Tire sold Vredestein tires. They’re who I buy my tires from usually because they have a bunch of locations locally and all up and down the East Coast where I routinely travel. I just swapped out my 20” Performance rims for a set of 18” TST wheels and I put on Pilot Sport All Season 4 because I read people on here and Reddit claiming they’re only 5% less efficient than MXM4. I’ve put nearly 1000 miles on them and the other day I averaged over 313wh/mi driving at a constant 78mph. That’s not really much better than my 20” rims and DWS06 I took off. So, now I’m trying to figure out if I should swap on Tesla-spec MXM4 or give the Continental PureContact LS a go.

juanmedina

Mar 31, 2016
SC
I am looking for new tires for my car to replace the stock tires they only lasted 20k miles. I have 18x9 wheels and I haven't done any track days or auto cross but I enjoy driving fast. I was thinking about Michelin Pilot Sport 4s 245/45/18s or Pilot Sport 4 all seasons. Anyone has experience with those? I am mostly worried about noise and comfort. Do you guys recommend something else? Thanks. Should I go wider?

We just did a 760 mile trip and got 262 Wh/mi on my 2018 performance model 3 that is lowered on the springs and drove about 1 hour averaging 85 mph the rest of the trip was around 70mph.

AlanSubie4Life

Efficiency Obsessed Member
Oct 22, 2018
San Diego
I am looking for new tires for my car to replace the stock tires they only lasted 20k miles. I have 18x9 wheels and I haven't done any track days or auto cross but I enjoy driving fast. I was thinking about Michelin Pilot Sport 4s 245/45/18s or Pilot Sport 4 all seasons. Anyone has experience with those? I am mostly worried about noise and comfort. Do you guys recommend something else? Thanks. Should I go wider?

We just did a 760 mile trip and got 262 Wh/mi on my 2018 performance model 3 that is lowered on the springs and drove about 1 hour averaging 85 mph the rest of the trip was around 70mph.

Pilotsport EVs are coming, but not available yet I guess. No idea what they'll be like, though. If you can wait, maybe it makes sense to wait for the reviews to come in? I assume there will be an appropriate size for the Model 3 18" since it's a high volume EV.

PS4S are always great of course, but can't take them to freezing conditions (I assume the Pilotsport EVs will kind of do poorly in such conditions but at least won't be irreversibly damaged). And they're going to hurt efficiency a little.

• Informative
Reactions: juanmedina

juanmedina

Mar 31, 2016
SC
Pilotsport EVs are coming, but not available yet I guess. No idea what they'll be like, though. If you can wait, maybe it makes sense to wait for the reviews to come in? I assume there will be an appropriate size for the Model 3 18" since it's a high volume EV.

PS4S are always great of course, but can't take them to freezing conditions (I assume the Pilotsport EVs will kind of do poorly in such conditions but at least won't be irreversibly damaged). And they're going to hurt efficiency a little.

Thanks for the, info those tires sound great. I actually had to borrow my mother's model 3 wheels because my rear tires had almost no thread. I guess I will be driving the wife's car until those tires come out.

IMG_20210614_195938989_HDR.jpg

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life

AlanSubie4Life

Oct 22, 2018
San Diego
I guess I will be driving the wife's car until those tires come out.
Hope they are worth the wait. They definitely sound awesome. I'm curious how they'll perform and how pricey they'll be, but fortunately I have other options right now. They definitely have some premium marketing, with that fancy shiny Tesla in the promo video. Good luck!

DarkNightP3D

Jan 10, 2020
Raleigh, NC, USA
Sucks fha
Thanks for the, info those tires sound great. I actually had to borrow my mother's model 3 wheels because my rear tires had almost no thread. I guess I will be driving the wife's car until those tires come out.

View attachment 673421
It sucks that those Michelin Pilot Sport EV will be summer only. I don’t know why we can’t get a decent EV specific UHP all season tire that combines efficiency, long life and performance altogether. Nokian has a new all season they’re claiming as being up to the task of being on an EV called “Nokian Tyres One” with a claimed 80,000 mile lifespan, but I have no clue if they’re any good.

AlanSubie4Life

Oct 22, 2018
San Diego
sucks that those Michelin Pilot Sport EV will be summer only.
Everything is a compromise, but did you read somewhere that explicitly this tire cannot be used below freezing? That is a consideration for many people. Even if it is inappropriate for actual snow/freezing precip, having a tire that can be actually used in dry conditions below freezing is important. (PS4S cannot be.)

elptxjc

Dec 15, 2019
El Paso, TX
I just bought the Michelin Pilot Sport 4 All-Seasons.
Pilot Sport 4s are MAX SUMMER tires, not A/S. The Pilot A/S4s are A/S, but the highest A/S category, which is 'ultra high-performance all-season'. Our M3s come with tires 2 categories lower, which is 'grand touring all-season'.

DO NOT BUY THE P7 Cinturato All Season Plus II, unless you do not care about efficiency.
I do, so thank you very much for the heads up. So looks like the Conti PureContact LS is the best overall replacement M3 LR 18" tire at the moment. I'm probably like a year away from needing tires, so we'll see if anything better still comes up later on.

DarkNightP3D

Jan 10, 2020
Raleigh, NC, USA
Pilot Sport 4s are MAX SUMMER tires, not A/S. The Pilot A/S4s are A/S, but the highest A/S category, which is 'ultra high-performance all-season'. Our M3s come with tires 2 categories lower, which is 'grand touring all-season'.

I do, so thank you very much for the heads up. So looks like the Conti PureContact LS is the best overall replacement M3 LR 18" tire at the moment. I'm probably like a year away from needing tires, so we'll see if anything better still comes up later on.
They have changed the name of the newest Michelin UHP all season tire to “Pilot Sport 4 All Season” whereas the last gen tires were called Pilot Sport AS3, then Pilot Sport AS3+, so the other guy’s naming convention was right.

I just put MXM4s on my P3D+ with 18” TST Wheels and my consumption has fallen immensely. I also find the handling to be respectable, rain hydroplane resistance fine, and I had to do a panic stop and they came to a stop without any drama. My efficiency has improved by 20%. The other night I drove about 200 miles at 85-90mph and average just over 300wh/mi. I couldn’t have hit 300wh/mi going 70mph on my 20” wheels and PS4S or DWS06, so I’m very impressed with the MXM4’s efficiency gains. As I drive a ton of long distance trips, that’s honestly what’s most important. The fact they also still handle decently well is another bonus.

Reactions: superflyrolla

raptor5244

May 10, 2019
Florida
I just put a set of 18" Michelin Pilot Sport AS4s on the SR+, which replaced the MXM4s. I find the AS4s quieter and definitely handle better than the Primacy MXM4s. They appear to be less efficient according to the energy meter but we are not noticing any significant changes in range. These are great tires and will do the trick until they come out with the Pilot Sport EV version. The AS4s come with a 45,000 mile warranty, which we all know will never happen on our cars. I only got 22k out of the Primacy MXM4s and I rotated them ever 7500 miles.

• Informative
Reactions: Matsayz

juanmedina

Mar 31, 2016
SC
I send a Facebook message to Michelin asking about the Pilot Sport EV tires release date and they say: "The Michelin Pilot Sport EV are coming up this fall. Stay tune!"

DarkNightP3D

Jan 10, 2020
Raleigh, NC, USA
I just put a set of 18" Michelin Pilot Sport AS4s on the SR+, which replaced the MXM4s. I find the AS4s quieter and definitely handle better than the Primacy MXM4s. They appear to be less efficient according to the energy meter but we are not noticing any significant changes in range. These are great tires and will do the trick until they come out with the Pilot Sport EV version. The AS4s come with a 45,000 mile warranty, which we all know will never happen on our cars. I only got 22k out of the Primacy MXM4s and I rotated them ever 7500 miles.
I put the All Season 4s on my P3D+ when I bought 18” TST wheels and they were not really much more efficient than the 20” wheels and DWS06 tires I had on the car before. Seeing that range is one of my most important concerns I ended up swapping them for the MXM4. I don’t notice any difference in noise really, ride quality seems about the same, and grip doesn’t really seem to be affected at all at least not around town and on on-ramps. Efficiency improvement has been drastic. My lifetime average had been around 300wh/mi, but over the past 1100 miles of mostly highway driving my average is down to 246wh/mi. It’s extremely impressive. I’ve actually managed to beat the range estimate several times, whereas before I had never been able to.

p4594spa

Aug 29, 2019
I own a M3LR which has a top speed of 140mph. The OEM tire is W-rated which is need for M3P but is overkill for the M3LR. The reason for asking about this is that V-rated tires have a much better mileage warranted (typically between 50-70 thousand ) compared to the W-rated tires.

Thoughts on this?

raptor5244

May 10, 2019
Florida
I put the All Season 4s on my P3D+ when I bought 18” TST wheels and they were not really much more efficient than the 20” wheels and DWS06 tires I had on the car before. Seeing that range is one of my most important concerns I ended up swapping them for the MXM4. I don’t notice any difference in noise really, ride quality seems about the same, and grip doesn’t really seem to be affected at all at least not around town and on on-ramps. Efficiency improvement has been drastic. My lifetime average had been around 300wh/mi, but over the past 1100 miles of mostly highway driving my average is down to 246wh/mi. It’s extremely impressive. I’ve actually managed to beat the range estimate several times, whereas before I had never been able to.
Yeah, we don't do much highway driving so maybe we are not seeing as much range impact yet.

Dave EV

Jun 23, 2009
San Diego
Yeah, we don't do much highway driving so maybe we are not seeing as much range impact yet.
FWIW rolling resistance should have a bigger effect on efficient at lower speeds, while aerodynamic differences (smaller wheels and narrower tires are better) are more noticeable at higher speeds.

I'm really surprised at how much efficiency is lost at highway speeds even between the same size tires - I wouldn't expect it.

I really wish that manufacturers were required to publish some some amount of efficiency data for each tire so consumers could get a better idea of the compromises between performance and efficiency.

Reactions: superflyrolla

Occhis

May 26, 2019
Front Royal, VA
I would submit that aerodynamics, particularly at highway speeds, has a much bigger influence on efficiency than rolling resistance of the tires. Air resistance increases geometrically as speed increases.

Sophias_dad

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Jul 29, 2018
Massachusetts
Air resistance increases geometrically as speed increases.
I think you meant 'exponentially'.

The actual drag increases with the square of velocity, so doubling the speed increases drag by a factor of four.

The power to move through that air increases with the cube of velocity(because the work of moving is being done faster), so doubling the speed increases the power needed by a factor of eight.

Occhis

May 26, 2019
Front Royal, VA
I think you meant 'exponentially'.

The actual drag increases with the square of velocity, so doubling the speed increases drag by a factor of four.

The power to move through that air increases with the cube of velocity(because the work of moving is being done faster), so doubling the speed increases the power needed by a factor of eight.
That’s exactly what I meant. Not sure where that came from. Loosing it in my old age.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC