Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best replacement tire for Michelin MXM4 Primacy

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was looking for a replacement tire for the OEM Michelin MXM4 Primacy tires. The tire noise has gotten noticeably worse at 23,000 miles, so much so that it was the dominant noise at 60+ mph. And at 23,000 miles ,the tread is down to the wear indicators. I was hoping for a quieter tire, an efficient one and one with a better wear life. From my research on Tirerack I looked at all the options and the best option appeared to be the Continental Pure Contact LS. Compared to the Michelin MXM4:
Continental PureContact LS Michelin Primacy MXM4
Would You Recommend 8.6 6.3
Wet Performance 9.2 8.4
Dry Performance 9.3 8.7
Winter/Snow Performance 8.0 5.7
Comfort Performance 9.0 8.3
Treadwear Performance 8.7 7.3
Tire Specifications UTQG 700 AA 500 AA

Part of the Comfort Performance rating is noise level, although all of these ratings (except the tread wear rating) are a relative comparison with the previous tires not an actual measured test. Also, unlike almost every other tire option, the Continentals have a "Green" efficiency rating like the Michelins, so presumably they should have a similar KwH/mile rating. My one concern was that the Continentals do not have the layer of sound foam inside the tires like the Michelins do. But according to the Car and Driver detailed testing of foam equipped tires, it appears to be more of a gimmick than a true advantage.

As it turns out the Continentals are also much less expensive than the Michelins so it made the choice easier.

I just had the Continentals installed and I am thrilled with the results. I had installed a Sound Meter app on my phone and tested the Michelins at 60 mph for a relative comparison. I measured 74 - 77 dbA for the Michelins. On the same stretch of road on the Continentals I measured 71 - 75 dbA so a roughly 2.5 dbA reduction which matched my perceptions that they are in fact quieter. The driving dynamics are very similar with very solid grip on dry, high speed curves. We live in the mountains of WNC so I have not tested the KwH/mile efficiency yet or the wet or snow grip. I will report back on this thread once I am able to test these other conditions.

I was looking for a replacement tire for the OEM Michelin MXM4 Primacy tires. The tire noise has gotten noticeably worse at 23,000 miles, so much so that it was the dominant noise at 60+ mph. And at 23,000 miles ,the tread is down to the wear indicators. I was hoping for a quieter tire, an efficient one and one with a better wear life. From my research on Tirerack I looked at all the options and the best option appeared to be the Continental Pure Contact LS. Compared to the Michelin MXM4:
Continental PureContact LS Michelin Primacy MXM4
Would You Recommend 8.6 6.3
Wet Performance 9.2 8.4
Dry Performance 9.3 8.7
Winter/Snow Performance 8.0 5.7
Comfort Performance 9.0 8.3
Treadwear Performance 8.7 7.3
Tire Specifications UTQG 700 AA 500 AA

Part of the Comfort Performance rating is noise level, although all of these ratings (except the tread wear rating) are a relative comparison with the previous tires not an actual measured test. Also, unlike almost every other tire option, the Continentals have a "Green" efficiency rating like the Michelins, so presumably they should have a similar KwH/mile rating. My one concern was that the Continentals do not have the layer of sound foam inside the tires like the Michelins do. But according to the Car and Driver detailed testing of foam equipped tires, it appears to be more of a gimmick than a true advantage.

As it turns out the Continentals are also much less expensive than the Michelins so it made the choice easier.

I just had the Continentals installed and I am thrilled with the results. I had installed a Sound Meter app on my phone and tested the Michelins at 60 mph for a relative comparison. I measured 74 - 77 dbA for the Michelins. On the same stretch of road on the Continentals I measured 71 - 75 dbA so a roughly 2.5 dbA reduction which matched my perceptions that they are in fact quieter. The driving dynamics are very similar with very solid grip on dry, high speed curves. We live in the mountains of WNC so I have not tested the KwH/mile efficiency yet or the wet or snow grip. I will report back on this thread once I am able to test these other conditions.

Forgot to note the car specs: 2018 M3 LR-AWD 18" Aero wheels

First off, get an alignment from a reputable non-Tesla alignment shop. If you have too much toe, as many Model 3s seem to have from the factory or even after an alignment at a Tesla service center, you could see an improvement in tire life of 50% or more.

I'm currently running Continental ExtremeContact DWS on the factory 18" aero wheels. After two sets of Michelins and two iffy alignments from Tesla, I finally have it sorted and tire life has increased significantly over the previous two rounds at 25,000 miles. The Contis handle very well and have a lot of grip in all conditions but they're pretty noisy... that's my only complaint and I think I'm willing to accept the noise due to the great all-weather performance.

• Helpful
Reactions: Arctic_White
First off, get an alignment from a reputable non-Tesla alignment shop. If you have too much toe, as many Model 3s seem to have from the factory or even after an alignment at a Tesla service center, you could see an improvement in tire life of 50% or more.

I'm currently running Continental ExtremeContact DWS on the factory 18" aero wheels. After two sets of Michelins and two iffy alignments from Tesla, I finally have it sorted and tire life has increased significantly over the previous two rounds at 25,000 miles. The Contis handle very well and have a lot of grip in all conditions but they're pretty noisy... that's my only complaint and I think I'm willing to accept the noise due to the great all-weather performance.

Good advice. When I had the tires installed the shop checked my alignment and it was all within specs however the front wheel toe in was 0.1 deg off of ideal. Not sure it's worth the cost to have it re-aligned. The old tires wore perfectly even and did not show edge wear that would indicate excessive toe in or out.

I did look at the Extreme Contact CT Sport (DWS did not come up) but the ratings for the Pure Contact LS were slightly better in every category and only the Pure Contact LS and the Michelin MXM4 Primacy have an ECO rating (whatever that is worth).

I'd like to thank OP for the review. I'm not in the market for all-seasons but if I were, I'd be taking a serious look at the tires suggested.

I'm doing the summer/winter tire thing. PS4's and X-Ice3's, on separate sets of wheels. It certainly isn't necessary but its nice. Its much less necessary this year because I'm basically working-from-home until March (at least).

Update: I recently drove the 600 mi from NC to our home in Orlando. It was cold in the morning and raining as we were coming out of the mountains. However, by afternoon it was low 70s and clear. On the level and smooth section of I75 from Macon to Valdosta, just over 200 mi at a steady 78 mph I was running at 290 Wh/mi which is as good as I ever got on the original MXM4 Primacys. No AC or heat and of course windows up. Also of note I installed after market mud flaps in 2019 and I always wondered if they would reduce range but apparently not measurably.

My wife's current car has exactly the same tires as M3 LRs (235/45/18 MXM4s), and they're horribly noisy, especially for a freaking A/S tire. And now that they're more worn (30K miles), even worse. Was disappointed to read the upcoming 2021 M3 LR I'm buying for her will have the same damn tires. Oh well.

I replaced my original MXM4 at 12k w Michelin PS4S (no foam). While the performance was better I really have to drive a little crazy to notice, the original were fine. The PS4S were noticeably louder. Perhaps I should have gotten the PS4S w the foam. Efficiency wise the MXM4 was 235 Wh/mi vs 242 Wh/mi for the PS4S

I replaced my original MXM4 at 12k w Michelin PS4S (no foam). While the performance was better I really have to drive a little crazy to notice, the original were fine. The PS4S were noticeably louder. Perhaps I should have gotten the PS4S w the foam. Efficiency wise the MXM4 was 235 Wh/mi vs 242 Wh/mi for the PS4S
Were your MXM4s worn out at 12K or did you replace for another reason?

Were your MXM4s worn out at 12K or did you replace for another reason?

For other reasons. We have two model 3s and I forgot to rotate the tires until a year into ownership. Both cars had about 12k miles and the rear were worn out a bit more than the front, maybe 4-5/32" in the rear vs 7/32" for the front, then I had a non-repairable flat so I took my two better tires and swap them with my wife's rears ones and got all new tires for myself lol. Anyways the PS4S had slightly better ride, but they were definitely noisier. I wished I had gotten the ones with the foam inside them.

I have the Vredestein Quatrac Pro's and they are outstanding. The quietest tire I've also had on any Tesla! Had 2 other Tesla's install them from the Swiss club and they are also very happy. Have been excellent in snow, rain, dry so far. And I drive in some pretty bad conditions in the Swiss Alps.

Reactions: Biscuitman
The quietest grand touring tire is reportedly (by TireRack) the Pirelli Cinturato P7 type2, and it's also better in every other regard than the MXM4s, which are already long in the tooth. However, not sure if they have the proper load rating for our heavy M3s. But glad to hear the Vredesteins are also superior to the M3s, at least in noise. I find the MXM4s noisier than they should be, which is quite annoying on the awful asphalt prevalent on TX highways we often use.

Status
Not open for further replies.