TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Best Roadster deal ever?

Discussion in 'Roadster' started by JRP3, Jan 4, 2015.

1. JRP3

JRP3 Hyperactive Member

2. alexkiritz

alexkiritz Member

That is generally how depreciation works.

3. dhrivnak

dhrivnak Active Member

Looks like someone got quite a good deal. The car is just like mine, so my biased opinion is it sold for too low a price. I am hoping the 3.0 kits will raise the resale values.

4. qwk

qwk Model S P2681

There have been a few 1.5 Roadsters sold in the high 40's during the CPO glut about 1.5 years ago. These were not wrecked.

5. PokerBroker

PokerBroker Member

My CPO 1.5 was $56k with 17k mi and full warranty on vehicle and battery. I feel pretty good about it ;)

6. Andrew Wolfe

Andrew Wolfe Roadster 472 - S 440

It does seem like below market - but it is a 6+ year old car now. For comparison a 2008 911 Carrera 4S Cabrio blue books at about $60K.

7. tvuolo

tvuolo Member

Hey... That's the roadster I just bought! I'd like to think it was the best deal ever :) I was just outside installing OVMS and the iOttie phone holder.

The battery is in great shape (I think). I charge to 187 ideal in standard. The CAC is at 150.25 using VMSParser. The owner sold it with the HPWC and 110 & 220 chargers. He also threw in another cable that he didn't know what it was -- turned out to be a never used Tesla J1772 adapter. Too bad it's not Henry's CAN Jr. Tesla's adapter is equal parts weapon and adapter.

It arrived mid December and since then, I think it's snowed more in Colorado in December than the previous 4 years combined. I cannot wait for the roads to be nice & dry. I'm pretty sick of seeing the Frost Warning Indicator on.

I think PokerBroker might have me beat for deals, though. $56K with warranty is fantastic. I would have paid the extra $1600 and taken 5000 more miles for the warranty.

8. ModelX

ModelX Member

Congrats!

9. n2mb_racing

n2mb_racing Member

Damn! I was second on that auction!

I thought I had won it and was watching the seconds tick down, but my phone didn't update and show that you outbid me in the last few seconds!

Well, good deal for you. :) I'm still looking!

10. hcsharp

hcsharp Active Member

You should have bought it! Has a hard top, too. That same car would sell for more now. The 400 mi upgrade announcement gave prices a bump.

11. JRP3

JRP3 Hyperactive Member

Congrats!

Probably, but didn't see it until it was sold, plus it would have been bid higher of course. Besides, my DIY imperative requires me to find one for less money with just enough damage and/or bad pack that I can fix myself. (Probably spending more in the long run too.) It's a curse :biggrin:

12. hcsharp

hcsharp Active Member

I know about that curse, friend!

13. AudubonB

AudubonB Mild-mannered Moderator Lord Vetinari*

Congratulations to the several new Roadster owners chiming in here. A question:

is there a consensus on whether the new battery announcement has reduced the desirability differential amongst 1.5s, 2.0s and 2.5s? And thus, of course, in the likely price differentials?

14. stevejust

stevejust Pati ≡nc ≡

I always assumed the announcement (back in the summer of 2014) was just going to jack up or at least prop up the prices of used Roadsters. But since I had more time to think about it -- I think we won't know until pricing is announced. If the Roadster 3.0 upgrade is reasonably priced, it will certainly jack up the price of used Roadsters. If, however, it is perceived as too expensive/not worth it, the opposite could be true. There is/was a Roadster on Ebay with <3,000 miles going for a buy-it-now price of $63k. If I didn't already have one, I'd have checked out the CAC and gone to get it.

There are 7 other people with Roadsters where I live (defined as by serviced at the same SC), so I e-mailed most of them to find out who was most anxious to upgrade. I don't want to be first. One said definitely, one said probably, and one said, "I can't see coughing up however much money to take my Roadster from 100% more miles than I need to 300% more miles than I need." I'm pretty sure he's a member here, so I'll let him take credit for that if he wants.

15. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

Since the upgrade can be applied to all Roadster versions I think it will positively effect market prices and desirability for all Roadsters.

16. markwj

markwj Moderator, Asia Pacific

Has that officially been confirmed yet? In particular, for the aero package?

17. AudubonB

AudubonB Mild-mannered Moderator Lord Vetinari*

Thanks for the responses so far, but the operative portion of my question was the differential amongst the various releases.....

18. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

Okay, now I get it. My answer: "Yes, desirability differential will be reduced" since all versions can get the same upgrades.

19. hcsharp

hcsharp Active Member

Too early to tell. All of this is pure speculation.

20. dhrivnak

dhrivnak Active Member

And I do think the price of the upgrade will have a huge impact. For two CRAZY examples.

If the upgrade is priced at $5,000 then MANY will want a Roadster and have a nice 400 mile EV. But if priced at $75K then most will pass on a very high priced upgrade that would more than double the cost of the car.