Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best Roadster deal ever?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi TVUOLO, mine looks similar to yours - a 2008 I bought the other day with 2900 miles. I don't know if it's called Midnight Blue or Twilight Blue, but it's very nice. Question: does the OVMS work with a 2008?

Strib

Hi TVUOLO, mine looks similar to yours - a 2008 I bought the other day with 2900 miles. I don't know if it's called Midnight Blue or Twilight Blue, but it's very nice. Question: does the OVMS work with a 2008?

Strib

Yes, I installed OVMS about a month ago and it works great. I'm using an AT&T prepaid go-phone SIM. My only "gotchas" were:
* My SIM card wouldn't activate online. I called AT&T who said it wouldn't work with the OVMS box's IMEI. I tried again online in frustration and it magically worked. Go figure.
* I somehow flashed it wrong the first time so it didn't have the proper firmware. Mark at OVMS diagnosed that one pretty quickly for me. I flashed AND verified the second time and it worked.
* Then I had the old server address, not the new one.

I haven't tried the advanced charging yet, since I'm still working on getting my 125A sub-panel and HPWC hooked up in my garage. I'm still on 120V 15A, so not much point in delaying the charge. Some mornings it's not even done charging from the previous day!

Here is a listing that said $30K... Maybe it was a scam?

2008 Tesla Roadster | 2008 Car for Sale in West Chester PA | 3743008608 | Used Cars on Oodle Marketplace

http://usa.motoseller.com/c/sys.php?a=2&b=3276722

------------------------

soldit.png

Last edited:
@TEG, yes, that ad is obviously a scam. Any car that is listed for half the price of multiple other comparable cars also for sale, and is described to be in comparable condition to those cars, is clearly "to good to be true".

The smarter scammers will create an ad where the car is priced about 20% below market and make up a story about how they desperately have to sell it because of blah blah blah, because every now and then that actually happens for a legitimate sale.

But no one legitimately offers a car for sale at half the current market price for cars in the same condition.

Last edited:

Well, I decided to ask them ( [email protected] ) why the price is so low.

Got this response from [email protected]:
Hello,
Due to the high volume of internet scams, i will send the car to your home address COD ( CASH ON DELIVERY ) so in this way this will be a safe transaction for both of us. As you probably noticed, the price is rather low, the reason I selling the car at this price is because i have to pay 18000 usd for registration here in Portugal. The car is here in my garage in Portugal. I can drive the car here, the insurance is still available until next month. When insurance expire, i can't drive it, so i have to register the car here. I can't spend 18000 usd for registration so i have to sell it. Now, I can't come to USA to sell the car because I'll spend money and lose more time, my only chance to sell this car is to find a buyer in the U.S. or another country. I can send the car to your home, transport will take approximately 19 days, after you receive the car you will have another two days to inspect it. When the inspection period ends, the transport company will contact you and if there are any issues with the car you can decline it. If all is good, I'm sure it will be, you will be able to transfer your name in the title to your local DMV.
I give you the chance to receive the car at your home address BEFORE i receive my money for it.
PLEASE SEND ME YOUR PHONE NUMBER AND WE WILL TALK ALL DETAILS.
Thanks

Searched on that text, and found it is classic scam:
www.scamwarners.com View topic - Portugal cash on delivery scam?
1993 Cobra Registry View topic - Scam Alert!!!!
When Fast Just Isn't Fast Enough he doesn't

Note, they also sent me a bunch more pictures of the car that weren't in the listing in an attempt to 'prove' that they have the car. I gather they probably just saved a bunch of pictures from someone else's old listing.

Last edited:
Well, I decided to ask them ( [email protected] ) why the price is so low.

Got this response from [email protected]:

Searched on that text, and found it is classic scam:
www.scamwarners.com View topic - Portugal cash on delivery scam?

Note, they also sent me a bunch more pictures of the car that weren't in the listing in an attempt to 'prove' that they have the car. I gather they probably just saved a bunch of pictures from someone else's old listing.

Weird. Pay for it with money from a Nigerian account you never knew you had.:biggrin:

In West Chester PA (allegedly), the vehicle would be perilously close (~25 min) to Tesla Service in Devon, PA. Have the scammers send it there first for a clean bill of health.:tongue:

(I mean, what would $30k be a legit price for... maybe a used glider with no working guts?)

It will be interesting to see what this one ends up selling for. 33.5k miles but it says: IT HAS HAD THE BATTERY PACK AND PEM REPLACED IN APRIL, 2013. THE NEW PEM IS A 2.5 SPORT MODEL, THE CAR HAS APROXIMATELY 6,000 MILES SINCE REPLACEMENT. Has a "Buy it Now" of $65k...

Tesla Roadster 2 0 Convertible | eBay

It ended up selling for $57,100.00. That seems like a pretty good price, although I am not up on Roadster versions and pricing.