TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Best Roadtrip car

Discussion in 'Model S' started by NewTMSMan, May 29, 2018.

1. NewTMSMan

NewTMSMan Member

Took my longest road trip so far (500 miles each way) and the S proves to be the best roadtrip car I have owned. With minor exceptions of one SC station not working properly at one spot and the EAP trying to take some highway exits on it's own the trip was great.

Love driving only about 1 1/2 - 2 hours at a time and taking a quick break and using EAP on the highway almost the whole way. Made 500 mile drive to Columbus Ohio and back nice and easy.

New Nav worked perfectly planning the trip each way, came in slightly under predicted battery level at each stop both ways.

[​IMG]

• Like x 7
  2. sauce

sauce :P

Agreed. I've done the same in April road tripping to NC, then again to NYC and after that all I wished for was to do it again.

Best road trip car by far!

• Like x 1
  3. Pezpunk

Pezpunk Member

yep! recently took the family about 550 miles from northern VA to Charleston, SC, and it was awesome. my wife was pretty leary of leaving the minivan at home, but the Model S had more than enough room for the four of us and our week's worth of beach stuff, and the drive was probably the most enjoyable long drive our family has taken. two supercharger stops on the way down, and two on the way back. they lined up perfectly with lunch and dinner, so the car was ready to continue before we were. couldn't have gone smoother.

• Like x 1
  4. ev-now

ev-now Member

Pezpunk - wow that's a bold paint job (wrap I assume)!

5. henderrj

henderrj Member

We are on our third long road trip. In excessive four thousand miles. Well, that's both ways. It is indeed a great road trip car! I stopped doing road trips almost 15 years ago, and now I'm on my third one with this car. How much fun is that!

• Like x 4
  6. Mobius484

Mobius484 Supporting Member

Agree with above, the S has taken our family of 5 and dog on numerous 1-2000 mile trips and it’s a crowd pleaser all around...

• Like x 1
  7. Mobius484

Mobius484 Supporting Member

Years of backpacking has helped our packing strategy, but reusable grocery bags go a long way to frunk and trunk storage....

8. David99

David99 Active Member

160k miles on my car. I love road trips with my Model S.

• Like x 1
  9. NewTMSMan

NewTMSMan Member

Even had a bed set up for the stops.

[​IMG]

10. GSP

GSP Member

Our Model S 85D replaced our ICE road trip car, and it has been the perfect car for long trips.

We have travelled up to 640 miles/day, with supercharger stops at bathroom breaks and meals. With good planning it is a rare event that we ever need to wait for the car to charge. Driving with autopilot, and the short walks to restaurants to get your blood flowing, make the trip much less stressful.

GSP

• Like x 3
  11. Shamrock

Shamrock New Member

Recently completed coast to coast and back 7500 hundred miles total with our 2017 MS 90D Agree great road trip car. Loved the downhill mountain behavior with regen, no tapping the brake and prerfect hold on the set TACC speed. Supercharger network worked great for our itinerary with only one stop at an RV park required for a side trip into the Nebraska panhandle for some genealogy research.

• Like x 2
  12. arcus

arcus Active Member

Leaving for California on Saturday, we estimate ~4000 miles during the trip. Will report on our progress when we return.

Last year we have done this.

13. ElectricLove

ElectricLove Member

Definitely the best roadtrip car ever! We do it with just the 2 of us and fold the back seats down to make a wonderfully comfortable and spacious bed, with the proper cushion in place it is very comfortable! (the junction between rear of seats and trunk floor is a step and uncomfortable without proper cushion in place)

We actually used to own henderrj Model S and did 2 full cross-country roadtrips in that one! San Diego to Orlando Florida and then Phoenix to Nantucket, within weeks of each other; was one of the funnest months of driving of my life!

We now have P85DL and it is crazy fun around town and also an amazing roadtripper!

The pace of supercharging stops is fantastic and relaxing, Autopilot makes late-night driving less draining and allows you to keep yourself alert to real road issues rather than arduously focusing on staying between the lines...

• Like x 1
  14. Pezpunk

Pezpunk Member

thanks! it is a wrap. i've since had the wheels painted black to match the blacked out trim, as well. looks much sharper.