Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best Selling Car Sept21, future models and the competition

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wouldn't the Performance in Track Mode have some advantage?
You would think so, but...

:)

Tesla M3s are everywhere, rarely a day goes by without me seeing at least 1.
September is the second month this year where it has been the best selling car, br none.
20 years back if you take say BMW, they had 3/5/7 and were dabbling with X class, now you have literally dozens of models.https://www.bmw.co.uk/en/all-models.html (I count 58)

The manufacturers have all been making a niche car for every person for the last 20 years

It's quite fascinating that the modern equivalent of the model T is selling so well, people don't seem that fussed on choice for now.

Reactions: jbcarioca
20 years back if you take say BMW, they had 3/5/7 and were dabbling with X class, now you have literally dozens of models.BMW range of cars: Discover all BMW models here | BMW UK (I count 58)

The manufacturers have all been making a niche car for every person for the last 20 years

It's quite fascinating that the modern equivalent of the model T is selling so well, people don't seem that fussed on choice for now.
The simplicity of the process for buying a Tesla is part of its attraction (at least for me) - who wants to vex over the myriad of 'options' available from other car makers and still being unsure of exactly what you have purchased.

The simplicity of the process for buying a Tesla is part of its attraction (at least for me) - who wants to vex over the myriad of 'options' available from other car makers and still being unsure of exactly what you have purchased.

Exactly. It's just a way of "upselling" such that you end up spending way more than the sticker price.

Exactly: the choice is simple, three versions of the M3 and a very few options. No one at the dealer selling "gap insurance", wheel repair, paint/dent repair. I enjoyed selecting my M3LR/Dual Motor. I doubt very much that I'll go back to a traditional dealer and an over complex model range.

Reactions: pow216 and Doudeau
I don't want the "do you want tyre insurance" stuff and I'm not thinking "do I want a rear ash tray or not?", but I would love to have a few more options

- more colours both exterior and interior, plus some trim options, both dash and headliner
- a choice of seats, some may find the standard seats ok, but a sportier seat with more side support would be nice

They don't need masses of choices, maybe just some packs, even better if much of it could be done at the service centre (I know some of the following can't be) as they could still ship the cars and then tune them late on

- black pack, including dechrome (I know its standard now but some prefered the chrome), black wheels, tinted rear windows, different interior trim
- luxury pack, including chrome trim, heated steering wheel on the SR+ turned on, deeper pile carpets, more tactile finish to surfaces, more sound insulation, luxury headliner (what there is of it on the M3 and MY)
- sports pack, includes LR performance boost, 19" wheels, carbon trim, better latterally supporting seats, dark headliner
- super long range pack, low resistance tyres, maybe a more aggressive software for miles over acceleration, possibly even different gearing of the motors

Lets face it, there are a lot of white cars with black interiors running on 18" wheels - they are getting boring with their umbiquity. We're only saying its great because that what it is, they're only doing it because it's much cheaper for Tesla, but go back a few years the packs were:

- cold weather including rear heated seats, heated steering wheel and a heated area on the windscreen to stop the wipers freezing
- premium pack including more leather (lets say better trim quality) on the door cards, luxury trim on the dash, front fog lights, choice of colour of the headliner
- upgraded hifi including subwoofer, more amps
- a choice of dash finishes, various wood and carbon, they're easy to do and can change the look a lot

Reactions: DrJFoster
The more options, the higher the manufacturing & build costs for Tesla.

They're not established enough yet to do this in my opinion.

However, all these 'blank canvas' cars are ripe for modding...

- Colour wraps & tints
- Custom leather interiors
- Wheels & Body Kits

Knock yourself out...

The more options, the higher the manufacturing & build costs for Tesla.

They're not established enough yet to do this in my opinion.

I see comments like this and reflect that Tesla used to be able to do options when I got not just my first Tesla, but also my second. They were certainly big enough back then and they made 1/10 of the cars they do now. They just decide not to now because it makes them more profit while they sell what they make. It would mean a massive change to the way they operate, but when your market cap is the size of the next 5 car makers added together, and you make over a million cars a year, that’s a car every 30 seconds, I recon you’re big enough

Reactions: init6
Ford don’t appear, given they have 2 of the best selling cars ytd you can only assume it’s as much supply issues as it is demand (which is also driving used car prices). It’s obvious Tesla are selling well, that’s great, beyond that I’m not sure we can draw conclusions until the dust settles
Yup. That’s right.

A friend of mine has had his order for a Ford Puma (made in Romania he said). His estimated delivery has been pushed back by months.

Exactly: the choice is simple, three versions of the M3 and a very few options. No one at the dealer selling "gap insurance", wheel repair, paint/dent repair. I enjoyed selecting my M3LR/Dual Motor. I doubt very much that I'll go back to a traditional dealer and an over complex model range.
This is related also to the contrast between the excessive complexity of every other prestige interior, designed to demonstrate how much you are getting for your money, and the blessed simplicity of the M3.

I think Tesla would do well to drop the Roadster - and go for something simpler like a Model 3 coupe style. I think it would sell well, and I can't be alone in thinking I would rather have a smaller Tesla if it were available. I don't need to drag 5 seats and a huge boot around with me everywhere, a small sporty looking thing with the same range and features would be ideal.

Reactions: DenkiJidousha
I think Tesla would do well to drop the Roadster - and go for something simpler like a Model 3 coupe style. I think it would sell well, and I can't be alone in thinking I would rather have a smaller Tesla if it were available. I don't need to drag 5 seats and a huge boot around with me everywhere, a small sporty looking thing with the same range and features would be ideal.
Pretty much exactly what I said to my (ex) Jag dealer when he was trying to sell me the iPace "its a nice car, but what I would buy in a heart beat is the F-Type on the Model3's skateboard". A 3 door, long nose GT Model 3 variant would be an awesome car (especially if the weight could be kept down using carbon/ali).
I also looked at converting my 2011 XK, but a. that seemed like too much of a chop shop job and b. having done some XK restomod work on the older style X100's the entire interior would have needed to be replaced, along with so much electronics I'd probably have spent as much as a new Model S Plaid to finish the project.

I don't want the "do you want tyre insurance" stuff and I'm not thinking "do I want a rear ash tray or not?", but I would love to have a few more options

- more colours both exterior and interior, plus some trim options, both dash and headliner
- a choice of seats, some may find the standard seats ok, but a sportier seat with more side support would be nice

They don't need masses of choices, maybe just some packs, even better if much of it could be done at the service centre (I know some of the following can't be) as they could still ship the cars and then tune them late on

- black pack, including dechrome (I know its standard now but some prefered the chrome), black wheels, tinted rear windows, different interior trim
- luxury pack, including chrome trim, heated steering wheel on the SR+ turned on, deeper pile carpets, more tactile finish to surfaces, more sound insulation, luxury headliner (what there is of it on the M3 and MY)
- sports pack, includes LR performance boost, 19" wheels, carbon trim, better latterally supporting seats, dark headliner
- super long range pack, low resistance tyres, maybe a more aggressive software for miles over acceleration, possibly even different gearing of the motors

Lets face it, there are a lot of white cars with black interiors running on 18" wheels - they are getting boring with their umbiquity. We're only saying its great because that what it is, they're only doing it because it's much cheaper for Tesla, but go back a few years the packs were:

- cold weather including rear heated seats, heated steering wheel and a heated area on the windscreen to stop the wipers freezing
- premium pack including more leather (lets say better trim quality) on the door cards, luxury trim on the dash, front fog lights, choice of colour of the headliner
- upgraded hifi including subwoofer, more amps
- a choice of dash finishes, various wood and carbon, they're easy to do and can change the look a lot
There is a decent amount of kit in the “base” premium interior, and it adds a fair amount of cost to many competitors to bring them up to scratch.. I think the only things I’d like to see added are:

HUD (miss this so much, but unlikely given the push to FSD)
Car Play… yes Tesla infotainment is ahead of many others, but I do like the seamless experience of having all my apps via CarPlay.

360 parking camera (anything to help me keep those 20s pristine).

Software tweak…
Nice “don’t forget your phone” reminder when it’s left on the charger pad like Audi do).