Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best Selling Car Sept21, future models and the competition

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, me! The “vegan leather” looks and feels nothing like any leather I’ve ever seen. I’m not vegan or vegetarian, I don’t have a problem with animal products and I’d much rather the inside of my M3 was covered in lots and lots of real cow.
The Vegan Leather is cheap.
I've considered having the seats re-trimmed in leather, with alcantara centre panels. There are plenty of trimmers about, but most would want the car for a month. .

I've considered having the seats re-trimmed in leather, with alcantara centre panels. There are plenty of trimmers about, but most would want the car for a month. .
The vegan leather can also be very hot and sticky in the summer. Car manufacturers moved from vinyl to fabric and leather for good reasons. Sadly I think the vegan leather is just an upmarket vinyl. And I assume it comes from an unsustainable fossil source - oil, unlike leather.

The vegan leather can also be very hot and sticky in the summer. Car manufacturers moved from vinyl to fabric and leather for good reasons. Sadly I think the vegan leather is just an upmarket vinyl. And I assume it comes from an unsustainable fossil source - oil, unlike leather.
It is polyurethane based, so us made from fossil fuel. In my view that is worse than using animal based leather. To my mind they should offer. fabric or real leather. Remember, as long as the world eats beef there are cowhides!

Reactions: Pants and Hurricane
It did give a very evocative reminder in the summer of what it was like to burn your thighs getting into a hot car with vinyl seats. Haven't had that since the 80s. Gets MUCH hotter than leather

Not only is beef production one of the most carbon-intensive, environmentally destructive forms of mass production, have a look at what's involved in the industrialised tanning process.
I'm a chemist and fully aware of the processes involved in tanning leather. In its defence modern procedures are rather less nasty than those of 50 to 60 years ago.
The argument for and against farming and eating beef are, I would suggest, not appropriate on a car forum and I not a debate I'll enter into.

Reactions: jhnbssll
The argument for and against farming and eating beef are, I would suggest, not appropriate on a car forum and I not a debate I'll enter into.

Lol, how convenient. Manufacture of PVC = totally fine to chat about. Intensive farming, not such much.

If you want to kid yourself one process is better than another, that's your prerogative. But don't spout utter hypocritical twaddle to try and justify your dubious value judgements on an open forum and expect it to go unchallenged.

• Love
Reactions: BlueM3SR
Not only is beef production one of the most carbon-intensive, environmentally destructive forms of mass production, have a look at what's involved in the industrialised tanning process.
But beef is delicious. Nothing beats a huge sirloin roasting joint cooked slowly for hours then served with a rich red wine and port jus and goose fat roasties. The hide of the cow that produced my delicious food can then be used to make decent real leather seat covering for my M3 instead of that cheap and nasty vegan crap. It would add a bit of much needed class to an otherwise cheap and boring interior.

When it comes to beef, as far as I’m concerned the end more than justifies the means.

The vegan leather looks and feels awful. It adds to the bland, cheap and nasty look of the interior of my M3. Which is one of the reasons why I’ll be going to the competition for my next car.

The more I see of the Kia EV6 the more I like it. Some lower end models also have vegan leather, but the GT comes with black suede. Very classy. I much prefer the real thing to his vegan crap.

And why do vegans hijack words that mean something else? “Vegan leather” is a complete contradiction in terms. There’s no such thing.

Reactions: Peter 224
But beef is delicious. Nothing beats a huge sirloin roasting joint cooked slowly for hours then served with a rich red wine and port jus and goose fat roasties. The hide of the cow that produced my delicious food can then be used to make decent real leather seat covering for my M3 instead of that cheap and nasty vegan crap. It would add a bit of much needed class to an otherwise cheap and boring interior.

When it comes to beef, as far as I’m concerned the end more than justifies the means.
If I didn't know better I might start to think some of you boys didn't really buy your Tesla's to save the planet at all! 🤔

• Funny
Reactions: Js1977 and Tonyf
“Vegan leather” is a complete contradiction in terms. There’s no such thing.
Indeed ... I've always seen it as an ironic term to be said with a smile and a wink. However, in my opinion, it's a very pleasant soft finish in comparison to some cheaper leather I've sat on. Some real leather finishes have a plasticised protection layer anyway so defeating the the purpose of a natural breathable covering. Of course ultimately nothing smells as good or ages as nicely as real quality leather.

If I didn't know better I might start to think some of you boys didn't really buy your Tesla's to save the planet at all! 🤔
Saving the planet was not on my list of priorities. I bought my M3 for its performance, cheap/free fuel and low maintenance. But it has too many compromises so I’ll be looking elsewhere for my next car. Hopefully one which covers the interior with real leather instead of this cheap and nasty vegan crap.