TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Best settings for P85D launch / drag racing?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Kevin Michaluk, Jul 23, 2015.

1. Kevin Michaluk

Heading to the local drag strip this weekend for some fun.... Friday night is 1/8 mile street racing (drivers can challenge other drivers to a race), and Saturday is test and tune day, so can do 1/4 mile solo runs. Figured I'd get an Insane mode baseline and will do it again after I get the Ludicrous mode retrofit/upgrade.

Just wanted to check if there are any non-obvious tips for maximizing the car's launch?

I assume:

- drop the adjustable suspension to lowest setting (minimize air drag)
    - be in Insane mode, with as much charge the battery as possible
    - turn off all battery sucking things - kill climate control, dim display brightness, etc.
    - drink a Red Bull and nail a good reaction time :)

Anything else I'm not thinking about? Hope to record the fun so will report back with the results!

2. Saghost

Saghost Active Member

I'm pretty sure none of these except the battery SoC will have any meaningful effect - they all seem like one percent sorts of things. I don't have any additional suggestions.

Testing on a thread here suggests the SoC does make a pretty big difference, though...

3. P85_DA

P85_DA Member

Lower tire pressure

4. Kevin Michaluk

Yeah, sort of assumed that was the case. That said, want to make sure I do all the little things too. No excuses! :)

5. sorka

sorka Active Member

What about folding in the side mirrors?

6. brucet999

brucet999 Active Member

But then you couldn't see the cop who was beside you at the intersection when you launched. :)
    Oh, yeah. That's another thread.

7. cryptyk

cryptyk Member

I have nothing to back this up, but I would say the opposite. It seems like traction isn't limited on the AWD, but rolling resistance might come into play...

8. fiksegts

fiksegts Active Member

higher tire pressure, less rolling resistance...

folding in mirrors is good...

take everything out of the car

turn of AC and other items not needed

shallow stage

9. siucity

siucity Button Pusher

Lose some weight.

(sorry I couldn't resist...it's a joke among friends to go faster at the strip when we can't modify the car anymore. :) )

10. Ingineer

Ingineer Electrical Engineer

Dimming the display isn't going to make any measurable difference. Same with pretty much all the 12v accessories.

Lightening the load in the car is probably the best tip. Take out everything you can that's not essential. I'd even remove the passenger seat, it's got to be 50+ lbs with all those motors and things!

When they build race cars out of stockers, they usually pull all the interior stuff out, which usually adds up to hundreds of pounds!

11. Law&Disorder

Law&Disorder Member

I always drop the suspension to its lowest setting before doing an "Insane mode" launch. It helps to counter the initial body sway to the back you get when you first punch it.

12. scottf200

scottf200 Active Member

I thought I read that "you must raise your foot off the go pedal and STOMP it to get max launch" ? Perhaps just a quick step is needed. I'm sure it has been talked about before along with a reason a "launch" mode is not necessary.

13. cephellow

cephellow New Member

Lower tire pressure. The traction is in fact limited, the traction control is what keeps the tires from spinning. Pull the stability control fuse if you doubt me- you will promptly get 4 wheel burnouts! Lower tire pressure will gain you more traction (by increasing contact patch) at the expense of rolling resistance. For drag racing, traction is more important than rolling resistance.

14. Eclectic

Eclectic Member

That's the rumor...I don't know of anyone who has ever provided a detailed explanation for why this may be the case, but an early P85D review stated that stomping the pedal is the way to get the best times out of the car: 2015 Tesla Model S P85D First Test - Motor Trend

I've done my share of Insane mode launches, never timed, and it rearing back and stomping the daylights out of the pedal as quickly as possible seems to feel faster than just pushing it like you would with an ICE.

15. LetsGoFast

LetsGoFast Active Member

In a traditional Christmas tree start, you will get the best time by mashing the pedal when the final yellow light illuminates. If you wait for the green, you'll actually get a quite slow reaction time.

Looking at the shape of the side mirrors, I'm not convinced they are more aerodynamic folded in, nor that even if they are that it would have a measurable effect. I'm quite sure minor electrical drains like the displays are not going to matter much either.

I would expect lower tire pressures to make a slight, but measurable difference. I'd also be super-curious to see someone run a set of drag radials, ideally on a lighter weight rim.

16. ERP

ERP Ludicrous Member

Unless you are seriously racing the guy next to you, do not worry about your reaction time. It does not affect the 1/8 or 1/4 mile time, they are separate measurements. So if you are new to the track you don't need to stress about perfectly timing the light.

17. thimel

thimel Member

I'd suggest turning creep mode off. With it on, it is possible the car moves enough so you don't get the advantage of the full one foot of roll out at high acceleration.

18. bmc

bmc Member

Remove all unnecessary fluids ...
    Drain the the windshield wiper reservoir :)

19. gnxs

gnxs Member

^^^ This.

20. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

... and 2