TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Best settings for Standard Soundsystem?

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by Jocce, Mar 10, 2016.

1. Jocce

Jocce Member

I usually dont listen to that much music, well other than when I am in the car!
    Therefore I did not choose the Premium Audio!
    No problem with that, the origiginal stereo is good enough for me!

But of course I want the most out of it, so, what settings in the equaliser should I use?

Gessing someone with a better "music ear" have done some testing ;)

/Jocce

2. WeazL

WeazL Moderator - Hawaii

Aloha Jocce,

A general approach to audio is a pyramid--the bass is the foundation, and the highs are the top. Therefore more of the lows (not overkill) and some additional support to the mids, while keeping the highs in check. Try setting your bass to +4, mids to +2 (maybe 3 depending on preference) and leave your highs at 0 (or +1 by preference). This will give you a more robust sound. Tweak from there to suit taste.

3. scottm

scottm Active Member

#3 scottm, Mar 11, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2016
    If you're the sole person in the car, put the balance/fader target near the front edge of the rear seat on the passenger side.

Some people think putting the target on your head is best balance for that person. It's not.

4. bryand

bryand Member

Would you care to re-phrase that? My car doesn't have a rear driver seat at all, let alone one on the passenger side.

5. Max*

Max* Autopilot != Autonomous

ROFL.

6. scottm

scottm Active Member

fixed
    \
    front edge of the rear seat on the passenger side

..my car sometimes has 2 back seat drivers, 1 front seat driver... and no auto-pilot. Got that covered.

7. DCGOO

DCGOO Member

Mother-in-law seat

8. Max*

Max* Autopilot != Autonomous

He didn't state if he has the RFS or not.

9. jmsurpri

jmsurpri Member

I've had my 85D for 9 days now. The only option I struggled with during the 7 day limbo period was the stereo upgrade. While I'm no audiophile, I do appreciate good sound. In the end I couldn't justify the extra cost and went with the base system. I should have listened to both systems before I ordered. I'm a bit disappointed with the base system, mostly with the bass response. Bass is pretty much non existent at low volume. At higher volume the only difference is you can feel the speakers in the doors rattle the doors like crazy but the base is still anemic. Tesla really should've provided larger door speakers to provide a good enough bass response. I'll try the suggestions from here to see if it helps.

Also, is there supposed to be a center tweeter above the rear view mirror? I see the cover but I don't think there is any sound coming from it.

10. Jason S

Jason S Model S Sig Perf (P85)

Reus for aftermarket custom has had good reviews around here. And Light Harmonic is working on getting their stuff out, but haven't seen any reviews yet. (Reus might install LH stuff, so maybe that's an option) That's all high end.

I think the thing above the mirror is a sensor -- not part of the audio system.

11. jcaspar

jcaspar Member

12. Ronist

Ronist Member

Another factor is the type of music you listen to the most. Mine is +6.5 base and +2.5 high.

13. ModelZ

ModelZ Member

I usually keep my treble up to the max and then balance that with the bass at half the treble.

So, for example...if the max treble is 8, I put it there and then put the bass at 4 (or 5 if it's weak). If there's a mid channel, I'll bump that up to 2 or 3 to taste.

It's all really a matter of preference to what sounds good to you.

I actually got my settings from the liner notes of a Nirvana album (I think it was 'In Utero') back in the day and have tweaked them over the years (I think it was like treble 8/bass 6 or something...it showed a diagram of knobs).

14. Beryl

Beryl Member

15. chriSharek

chriSharek Member

I wonder how much the NVX system adds to the premium sound . . . I'm sure more bump from the bass, but worth the additional $1k?

16. supratachophobia

supratachophobia Active Member

Add a subwoofer, you will not be disappointed.

17. supratachophobia

Personally, I didnt think the NVX was worth the money. I ended up fiberglassing a box myself and adding a JL Audio 2ohm DVC 10" and an NVX 300 watt amp. It's perfect.

18. cgiGuy

cgiGuy Member

I added a 12" sub and amp into the lower trunk (covered) to the standard sound and it kicks the premium sound's (had it in the last MS) rear. Total investment ~$400 and ~6 hours.

19. supratachophobia

mmm, 12" sub, that sounds good.....

20. chriSharek

chriSharek Member

Permanent install, Supra, or easily removable like a bazooka tube? I am glad I got the premium sound to start with but I can see me tweaking this down the road as one of those "projects" . . .