Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best settings for Standard Soundsystem?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I usually dont listen to that much music, well other than when I am in the car!
Therefore I did not choose the Premium Audio!
No problem with that, the origiginal stereo is good enough for me!

But of course I want the most out of it, so, what settings in the equaliser should I use?

Gessing someone with a better "music ear" have done some testing ;)

/Jocce

Aloha Jocce,

A general approach to audio is a pyramid--the bass is the foundation, and the highs are the top. Therefore more of the lows (not overkill) and some additional support to the mids, while keeping the highs in check. Try setting your bass to +4, mids to +2 (maybe 3 depending on preference) and leave your highs at 0 (or +1 by preference). This will give you a more robust sound. Tweak from there to suit taste.

If you're the sole person in the car, put the balance/fader target near the front edge of the rear seat on the passenger side.

Some people think putting the target on your head is best balance for that person. It's not.

Last edited:
I've had my 85D for 9 days now. The only option I struggled with during the 7 day limbo period was the stereo upgrade. While I'm no audiophile, I do appreciate good sound. In the end I couldn't justify the extra cost and went with the base system. I should have listened to both systems before I ordered. I'm a bit disappointed with the base system, mostly with the bass response. Bass is pretty much non existent at low volume. At higher volume the only difference is you can feel the speakers in the doors rattle the doors like crazy but the base is still anemic. Tesla really should've provided larger door speakers to provide a good enough bass response. I'll try the suggestions from here to see if it helps.

Also, is there supposed to be a center tweeter above the rear view mirror? I see the cover but I don't think there is any sound coming from it.

I've had my 85D for 9 days now. The only option I struggled with during the 7 day limbo period was the stereo upgrade. While I'm no audiophile, I do appreciate good sound. In the end I couldn't justify the extra cost and went with the base system. I should have listened to both systems before I ordered. I'm a bit disappointed with the base system, mostly with the bass response. Bass is pretty much non existent at low volume. At higher volume the only difference is you can feel the speakers in the doors rattle the doors like crazy but the base is still anemic. Tesla really should've provided larger door speakers to provide a good enough bass response. I'll try the suggestions from here to see if it helps.

Also, is there supposed to be a center tweeter above the rear view mirror? I see the cover but I don't think there is any sound coming from it.
Reus for aftermarket custom has had good reviews around here. And Light Harmonic is working on getting their stuff out, but haven't seen any reviews yet. (Reus might install LH stuff, so maybe that's an option) That's all high end.

I think the thing above the mirror is a sensor -- not part of the audio system.

I usually keep my treble up to the max and then balance that with the bass at half the treble.

So, for example...if the max treble is 8, I put it there and then put the bass at 4 (or 5 if it's weak). If there's a mid channel, I'll bump that up to 2 or 3 to taste.

It's all really a matter of preference to what sounds good to you.

I actually got my settings from the liner notes of a Nirvana album (I think it was 'In Utero') back in the day and have tweaked them over the years (I think it was like treble 8/bass 6 or something...it showed a diagram of knobs).