Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best setup for two tesla charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Whats the rec? Two nemas? Two tesla wall connectors? Trying to be cost effective and have it easy to charge two cars. Thanks
Two full nema 50amp circuits would probably be the cheapest, assuming you can add 100amps to your panel. Just the cost of wire and plug, You would be limited to 32amp charge speed though :(. Expect to get tons of opinions on this one!

The coolest option would be two Tesla wall connectors sharing one 50AMP (+?) circuit doing load balancing, but at a premium cost at $500 per connector. Need/want decision :)

When I get my Cypertruck, I'll be running two Wall connectors. I mean the truck is bulletproof for no reason, why not have two wall connectors?

I’ve got two 14-50’s, each with its own 50 amp beaker.

One side has an old Schneider Electric charger running at 30 amps (using an adapter), the other side has a Tesla Wall Connector running at 40 amps. We always charge overnight and this setup works great.

But, like the poster above said...you will get all kinds of opinions about this haha!!

I don't have 2 Teslas but I do have my Model Y, a Chevy Bolt, and 2 Energica electric motorcycles. I have a single L2 charger that I placed in a central location in my garage and it's been sufficient for keeping all 4 EVs charged. I also have a 120v charger that I'm currently using on one of my motorcycles since I have it in "Long Term Storage" mode.

In all fairness, I don't ride/drive all 4 regularly due to the pandemic but even when restrictions are lifted and things return to "normal", I expect my usage to be similar to my pre-EV usage...i.e. me using a motorcycle for commuting (except when it rains) and my wife using one of the cars for the occasional day errands.

Last edited:
I have a detached garage with its own panel, but that panel is also powering two central AC units for the house. (25 amp breakers for each AC unit, 80 amps max panel).

I installed two Nema 14-50's outlets myself. When summer hits , I will alternate every other night (during off peak hours) charging each of the two teslas. One of us works from home, the other has a 10 mile each way commute. So no major charging needs. I could also lower the charging amps for both from 32amps down to half that, and charge each night/simultaneously.

During non summer (now), Ive been charging both simultaneously during off peak with no issues at the full 32amps. (higher amps appears to precondition the batterys faster during these cold temps).

To all of the electricians: Yes, I already know. Thanks. :)

We have had 2 EVs for 11 years at 3 houses. I think we have, at some point, tried about every possible combination of 120V, 14-50, J1772, and wall connectors. They have all worked fine, although the 120V charging was less efficient.

My favorite was at our last house - an all-electric house with 400A service. We had a wall connector on its own 100A circuit, and a J1772 station on its own 50A circuit - with Tesla's adapter left on it (we had an extra) so it worked like a Tesla wall connector.

But to be honest, I only liked it for the theoretical capabilities. At our current house, we have two daisy-chained wall connectors sharing a 60A circuit, and it works just as well. Over 5 years at the old house, we never used any capability we don't still have.

Note that my 3 wall connectors were all referral awards, and the J1772 station was paid for by a utility rebate. If those hadn't been free, I would probably still be using 14-50 outlets with Tesla's provided mobile connectors. The only real downside to those is having to unplug/replug them when you want to take them on a road trip.

Well, maybe that's not the only downside to using the mobile connectors daily. Theoretically there is less fire risk using hardwired wall connectors, but the risk is low either way, and I haven't seen any evidence that the theoretical safety advantage of wall connectors shows up in real-life applications.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tedkidd and tstolze
Whats the rec? Two nemas? Two tesla wall connectors? Trying to be cost effective and have it easy to charge two cars. Thanks
Do you really need to charge both cars at the same time? Our cars are in a garage and I out a Tesla wall charger in between the two cars on the wall between the two doors so the car is accessible to both. Maybe you don't have a setup like that.

Thanks
For
Opinions. We alternate the charge now using a single 14-50 and works fine but wasnt sure
If a better option exists w load sharing on a single circuit just
For convenience. I heard from
An electrician that the wall connectors have to be on their own circuit and cant load share yet.

I put in two wall chargers, sharing a 100 amp circuit (our S can charge at 80 amps). We like the robustness of the wall units, the longer cables, the aesthetics, and leaving our mobile chargers in the car all the time. The 14-50 on the bottom is what we used in the beginning, before I installed the wall units. The breaker for the 14-50 is off now, but we can use it as a backup if we need to.

B66302DC-CE1A-4031-AAF8-8641521E73DA.jpeg

Here's my two wall connectors sharing a 60A circuit at my current house. You can just see a tiny part of the electrical panel on the right end of the photo.

The electrician ran separate conduit for 240V power to each unit, and then a smaller conduit for the 12V signal line between the two units.

IMG_20190124_074641.jpg

At our previous house, where we had one wall connector on a 100A circuit and a 50A J1772 plugged in to a 14-50 outlet at the other side, I never took pictures of the chargers. But when buying and selling cars I did kind of get them. Here is the 100A wall connector on one side, right next to an electrical panel (but not the one that was powering it; the electrician ran conduit through the wall and then patched over it). You can see that the cord goes up to the ceiling, then hung on hooks so the business end hung down right where the car's charge port is when parked inside:

20181120_105759.jpg

And here is the far wall, where we had a 50A 14-50 outlet, with a 50A J1772 station plugged in to it. (The electrician hid conduit inside the walls on both sides; but ran exposed conduit across the ceiling to get power to this side). In this photo I'm using a Roadster adapter, although with the next car (an S) we left Tesla's J1772 adapter on it:

IMG_20160809_220721.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Tedkidd
We have two HPWCs, each on dedicated circuits (50A and 100A). This was before there was any kind of sharing scheme between HPWCs. If I were to do it over, I'd have them share the 100A circuit. I have thought have changing things up as I have replaced HPWCs over time with ones that support sharing, but it's not worth the cost.

I’m a big fan of reducing decisions.

having to share and fiddle with stuff is a recipe for waking up and “oh crap I have 20%! Charge”

beat option two power sharing Tesla wall connectors.

cheap option two 240 30 amp connectors connected to mobile charger. You save some wire cost over 50 amp, and lower the max load on your panel.

Middle road is two 240 50 amp connectors.

• Informative
Reactions: Thp3
Currently have 3 and Bolt, Y replacing Bolt at lease end in next few months.

I have 100a to garage, one HPWC at 60 amps and a 50 amp plug for the mobile charger, and a tesla to J1772 adapter for the Bolt.
Once in a great while it's nice to have the 12 kw, but suspect 6 would be more than enough for our needs, particularly with a supercharger under 20 miles away.

After a Florida trip in 2018 I realized the level 2 and even level 3 networks are fairly well dispersed, so I no longer feel the need to carry an EVSE in either car. I understand the habit, and used to even have a 35 ft 8 awg extension cord.

I have a signature HPWC that I haven't installed, and suspect I won't need to, but do like the fact they can deliver 20 kw each and communicate might be nice come cybertruk time....

I think for 1 car I'd run the fattest wire you can (100 amp capable), run it to where you'd put a box then some (long so you can add a sub panel later), and put a 50 amp plug on it.

I have a Leaf and a MS. I use one charger 14-50 on a 60amp breaker. The Leaf gets charged up every night but the Tesla rarely as I just charge it when I'm out on Supercharger to about 70% at a V3 SC location near me. If I needed to charge up to full for a road trip, The Leaf could wait. We also get free DC Chademo charging for the Leaf on our regular commute route.

Everyone's requirements are different but for me, I don't even use a Tesla Wall Charger as the Nissan Leaf charger cable with Tesla J1772 adapter works fine for a top off at 7.2KW.

This year I plan to replace the Leaf with a M Y and will re-evaluate the requirements for home charting speed then.

At home I will pay 10.9 cents per KWH, the Supercharger would cost 26 cents per KWH and I will only use that for the referral credits.

I'm open to any valid suggestions to improve my plan.

IMG_1923.jpg

I've got one Nema and a regular 110. Even in Chicago's fridged winter, have zero need for two "fast chargers.". On the rare occasion I have an over-cold battery or need to recharge quickly, I just have the Nema setup to it can reach whatever car needs it. But I've never had both Teslas at super low SoC or super cold at the same time. If I had three Teslas, I'd consider another Nema in the garage.

Reactions: Tedkidd and 2101Guy
I started out with NEMA 14-30, bought the adapter and used the mobile cable that came with the car. I later bought an extra EVSE kit for travel, but rarely used it.

With the second Tesla, I bought a wall connector Gen 2 since it had 24 feet of cable (Gen 3 only has 18 feet of cable). I had it wired with 50 amp wire (Awg 6?) but used a 30 amp breaker and set the Tesla wall connector to 30 amps on a separate breaker. The Tesla wall connector is a useful device for future sharing and amperage regulation.

I may someday upgrade to another wall connector, but for now this works fine. 20 miles per hour charging is fine for our usage.

Reactions: Tedkidd