Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best shades for windows while camping.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

phantasms

Mr Self Destruct
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2019
White Mountains, NH
Hi all,

We are going to use the Model Y as a "tent" a lot. We have a Dreamcase on the way but I'm looking for something to easily cover the windows. I'm considering making a curtain that goes along the back of the front seats and as such my priority is all the windows behind the front seats.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Best,
Gene

p.s. Having and loving our Model 3 for two years, the image below was our "test drive" in its entirety at the dealership.

Screen Shot 2020-08-25 at 11.42.24 AM.png

We make custom fit covers with the Reflectix material you can purchase from a big box home improvement store. Reflectix is just the right thickness to stick inside the window area. The silver side reflects the light making it a bit brighter when camping. It also provides extra insulation on really cold nights and keeps the windows from fogging up. We've made several sets for several vehicles. Highly recommended.
  1. Use butcher paper or paper sacks and masking tape to make a template to the exact window size.
  2. Using the paper template, cut the Reflectix about 1/4" wider to give some "stick" when inserted.
  3. Cover one side with inexpensive black broadcloth (~$3/yard) and adhere with 3M spray adhesive.
Here's what it looked like on our Volt. Perfect for stealth camping.

iECMzcPl.jpg

kU41ZNsl.jpg

11uxC1fl.jpg

Thank you so much, I just finished making a set for my Model Y in preparation for a camping trip coming up. I wrapped them in fake leather with pull handles for easy release. I had it easy though as the back will be covered by the SUV tent and already had a custom front windshield sunscreen. Was my first time sewing though so that was tricky, mad props for the idea though :) Thanks again!!
IMG_0717.jpeg

Thank you so much, I just finished making a set for my Model Y in preparation for a camping trip coming up. I wrapped them in fake leather with pull handles for easy release. I had it easy though as the back will be covered by the SUV tent and already had a custom front windshield sunscreen. Was my first time sewing though so that was tricky, mad props for the idea though :) Thanks again!!
View attachment 670659
These look excellent! you should consider makign these and sellign them. Im not liking what Im finding out there so far....

Great work. Appreciate the craftsmanship.

We make custom fit covers with the Reflectix material you can purchase from a big box home improvement store. Reflectix is just the right thickness to stick inside the window area. The silver side reflects the light making it a bit brighter when camping. It also provides extra insulation on really cold nights and keeps the windows from fogging up. We've made several sets for several vehicles. Highly recommended.
  1. Use butcher paper or paper sacks and masking tape to make a template to the exact window size.
  2. Using the paper template, cut the Reflectix about 1/4" wider to give some "stick" when inserted.
  3. Cover one side with inexpensive black broadcloth (~$3/yard) and adhere with 3M spray adhesive.
Here's what it looked like on our Volt. Perfect for stealth camping.

iECMzcPl.jpg

kU41ZNsl.jpg

11uxC1fl.jpg
Can I ask what depth Reflectix you used please to get the right rigidity for the window? Trying to buy the equivalent in the UK.