Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best Shipping for wheels&tires?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I get heavily discounted rates with FedEx Ground/Home. It's the boxing that also gets expensive.

I agree with Rich on FedEx. I've noticed that FedEx is usually best when the items are bigger such as wheels. Probably common sense, but also ship each wheel separately rather than strapping them all together into one shipment. I heard of one guy getting a quote like this and it fell into Freight Shipping category. That's nuts.

This I know from experience. Create a Commercial Account with UPS and ship it through the "business". As well as ship this to a business rather than a residence. If that's possible on the Buyers end of course. That's was a trick someone told me awhile back and I've used it a handful of times and its worked great. This has worked with UPS, not sure about FedEx. Hope this bit of information helps all that read this.

I agree with Rich on FedEx. I've noticed that FedEx is usually best when the items are bigger such as wheels. Probably common sense, but also ship each wheel separately rather than strapping them all together into one shipment. I heard of one guy getting a quote like this and it fell into Freight Shipping category. That's nuts.

This I know from experience. Create a Commercial Account with UPS and ship it through the "business". As well as ship this to a business rather than a residence. If that's possible on the Buyers end of course. That's was a trick someone told me awhile back and I've used it a handful of times and its worked great. This has worked with UPS, not sure about FedEx. Hope this bit of information helps all that read this.
I would strongly advise to NOT do the residence/business thing because UPS will charge you the difference as they've had the ability to do that for years now. Double check your account and/or credit card and I would be surprised if you weren't getting charged that overage you think you're saving.

Every time I've shipped out wheels via my Commercial/Business account I always cross checked that against shipping them the usual Consumer account route. And it was always cheaper shipping them the Commercial Business route. I'm not sure if the key variable is shipping them to a Business address rather than Residential. But all the ones I shipped were to the Buyers Commercial address of choice. Due diligence is always common sense to confirm a cost savings. Otherwise, what's the point?

Quite frankly, I try to avoid shipping wheels at nearly any expense as it's always an Annoyance. I would rather drive a fair distance to meet the Buyer and complete the sale so long as the Buyer is willing to pay a non refundable deposit if they don't show up. Which hasn't happened it. But you never know.

I have also noticed shipping 4x boxes is much cheaper than 2x since you're not hit by dimensional weight/oversize.

Every time I've tried to ship one wheel+tire (or just a 21" tire) I get hit with dimensional weight. Strapping 2 tires together (but not 4) still gets you dimensional weight, but it's cheaper than sending 2 separate tires.

I sold one 21" tire here on TMC for $50.. and it cost me $60 to ship it. That was consumer UPS rates to a residence, and got hit with the residence surcharge after delivery. The only way I'll ship tires now is if the buyer agrees to pay shipping in full, or ship it themselves.

I am selling my 21" referral wheels w/ tires, brand new. Someone is interested but wants me to ship to WA from MD. Question: How do you wrap/pack these, what kind of materials to use so wheels do not get scratched. Also, what's the best shipping method, safe and cost effective? Thanks,

I am selling my 21" referral wheels w/ tires, brand new. Someone is interested but wants me to ship to WA from MD. Question: How do you wrap/pack these, what kind of materials to use so wheels do not get scratched. Also, what's the best shipping method, safe and cost effective? Thanks,

I used the post office, it was pretty cheap but I heavily wrapped them with cardboard and felt.

for shipping somewhat local you can always use Online Shipping Marketplace for Peer to Peer Shipping | CitizenShipper