Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best ski rack for the Tesla bars?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looking to pick up a six ski rack to go on my OEM bars and was wondering what ones have folks had success with?
I want to utilize the t slot connection so it is as aerodynamic as possible.So far it seems the Yakima Fatboy is good choice but would like to hear options .

I'd recommend a low profile roof box instead of the ski/snowboard carriers. The best days on the slopes (to me, at least) are when it is snowing hard on the drive to the mountain. Unfortunately, you really don't want your skis and more importantly your bindings to be subjected to the salty slush getting thrown at them by the car in front of you. So we now either put the skis in the car or put a box on the roof. I'm too concerned that the salt spray will cause corrosion in the bindings, and when I need them to release, they won't. Perhaps I'm overly cautious.

Good points for sure . I really am not a fan of the ski box though due to its size and effect on range. On snow days , I can always put the skis in their bag to avoid the salt .
BTW you live in a great state- many good memories visiting Stowe!

I'm still looking into ski racks and wanted to stick with Yakima since the OEM roof racks are from them (probably doesn't matter much though). I'm in between the yakima fatcat evo or the freshtracks. The fatcats are about $50 more because they are quieter but i'm not sure if they're aero advantage actually means less of a range hit. Anyone have experience with different ski racks and notice a difference in range impact?

I use a Sporttube — kinda best of both (all?) worlds. Fits nicely on the OEM crossbars, protects the skis from road grime, easy on/off and as an added bonus, is helpful for lugging skis to the mountain.

I'm still looking into ski racks and wanted to stick with Yakima since the OEM roof racks are from them (probably doesn't matter much though). I'm in between the yakima fatcat evo or the freshtracks. The fatcats are about $50 more because they are quieter but i'm not sure if they're aero advantage actually means less of a range hit. Anyone have experience with different ski racks and notice a difference in range impact?
I have the Yakima Fat Cat Evo for 6 pairs of skis and it is great. Bought it from rack attack and they have a price match guarantee. Doesn't seem to effect range, I am leaving it on all winter. Super quiet. Recommended.

Reactions: akidesir
I use a Sporttube — kinda best of both (all?) worlds. Fits nicely on the OEM crossbars, protects the skis from road grime, easy on/off and as an added bonus, is helpful for lugging skis to the mountain.
Never heard of the Sporttube. I just checked it out and it looks like its an enclosure but not quite a cargo box?
I have the Yakima Fat Cat Evo for 6 pairs of skis and it is great. Bought it from rack attack and they have a price match guarantee. Doesn't seem to effect range, I am leaving it on all winter. Super quiet. Recommended.
What is the impact on range with your skis? Ive read many reports of how the OEM roof rack only decreases range by a negligible amount (1.5-3%) but I assumed with the added height of the ski rack, even w/o skis, would definitely have some additional impact on range.

Normally, I wouldn't care too much about range but in my specific use case (Seattle to Steven's Pass) I charge to 90% and usually get home with ~15%. I like this because I don't have to stop to charge. But according to this thread Model 3 Roof Rack Options - Comparing Efficiencies I'm worried that the reported ~17% range hit means I will have to stop to charge. This drive is a bit of a slog when there's traffic and I'm just trying to avoid making it longer so I guess i could just charge to 100%, if needed.

Never heard of the Sporttube. I just checked it out and it looks like its an enclosure but not quite a cargo box?

Yes—essentially a small, dedicated box for skis/snowboards. It’s light, comparatively aerodynamic and keeps road grime from getting on skis/bindings. As I mentioned, it also helps with getting skis to the mountain. Finally, it provides a great way to lock up the skis at the rack during lunch/apres ski beverages.... And, no—I have no affiliation with this company other than being a customer. Good luck.

963FE35B-1311-49DA-9BB9-089B398117D0.jpeg

Last edited:

What is the impact on range with your skis? Ive read many reports of how the OEM roof rack only decreases range by a negligible amount (1.5-3%) but I assumed with the added height of the ski rack, even w/o skis, would definitely have some additional impact on range.

Normally, I wouldn't care too much about range but in my specific use case (Seattle to Steven's Pass) I charge to 90% and usually get home with ~15%. I like this because I don't have to stop to charge. But according to this thread Model 3 Roof Rack Options - Comparing Efficiencies I'm worried that the reported ~17% range hit means I will have to stop to charge. This drive is a bit of a slog when there's traffic and I'm just trying to avoid making it longer so I guess i could just charge to 100%, if needed.
I can't accurately tell you what impact it has on the range as I don't monitor it, but it really seems minimal. The post you referred to is very good and convinced me to get the Yakima. Your idea about charging to 100% is good one, that is what I do on road trips to the hill.

Yes—essentially a small, dedicated box for skis/snowboards. It’s light, comparatively aerodynamic and keeps road grime from getting on skis/bindings. As I mentioned, it also helps with getting skis to the mountain. Finally, it provides a great way to lock up the skis at the rack during lunch/apres ski beverages.... And, no—I have no affiliation with this company other than being a customer. Good luck.

View attachment 630626

Wait you can put these boxes directly on the roof bars? Any pic?

For anyone looking at the FatCat, I want to share two issues I had trying to put an older set on the bars -- this shouldn't be a problem with a new one.
First, the clamps that go around the bars couldn't close -- they need a longer bolt than originally came with them, and that was backordered or I couldn't find them at all (I don't recall which, can't find them now). You can get the new version of those clamps, for $17.60 x 4

Second, to solve that, I got Yakima T-slot adapters for the FatCat, but the way those attach to the rack itself had changed from the time mine was made, so I was missing the cam levers that they assume you already have and don't include with the T-slot adapters. I missed that note in the description, and those were backordered last winter anyway. (Now, those are in stock, but the T-slot adapter kit is backordered)
I ended up improvising with normal nuts to fasten to the T-slot adapters, and it worked great. But be aware if you're trying to re-use or buy used, make sure you have all the right parts.

I have the fat cat’s and they are nice!
73C516F5-1DB5-4CC0-AD6A-1E5B7B820077.jpeg

FWIW I’m on my second winter with a full on rooftop box, Yakima Rocketbox 11. I was initially worried about range, but honestly I haven’t been able to see a measurable impact. It stays on all winter. I expect I’m getting better efficiency than I would be with bare skis/boards on the roof.

Bonus is that my equipment remains grime-free en route. Here are some pics:

6F70AA3D-AD11-488F-8C3B-7A601F97B2C5.jpeg
3B39825A-BD52-44E2-BF42-893DA8BD2441.jpeg
AB2E928D-9FB5-4E7C-8E92-ADCAC0308351.jpeg

I have the fat cat’s and they are nice!
View attachment 642317
Yea, I ultimately ended up going with the fat cat evo as well. Noise definitely picks up a bit after 65mph+ but there’s no whistling or anything too annoying.

I’ll be going up to Stevens Pass this weekend so i can do an efficiency comparison since I have a pretty good baseline for this trip without the rack on (10+ trips).
9581E814-6A06-4769-A1F9-4C4F9E10AFEA.jpeg

Saw the roof racks are back in stock. On the fence about ordering one as I'd really only use it for skis (and even then, only handful of times per year). Has anyone had experience with this Thule rack on their MYLR (especially in CO)? I've seen a lot of positive feedback on the Yakima Fatcats, but I have the Thule from my old car still so I'm starting with that.
Or would I be better off trying to sell my rack and carry the skis inside the car?