Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • The final cut of the 9th episode of the Tesla Motors Club Podcast, featuring Chad Schwitters, the former president of Plug In America, is now available. You can watch it now on YouTube or listen to it on all major podcast networks.

Best SoCal Service Center for MCU 2 Upgrade?

Question in title. Which SoCal service center will do the best job properly dis/reassembling my dash to do the MCU2 upgrade? I don't mind driving around to get to the place with the best attention to detail as my car is now out of warranty and I don't want to have any install issues come up that I have to fight to get covered.

Reactions: derkan

RandyS

Fan of Elon
Jul 8, 2012
San Diego
I think, at this point, that the service centers have done so many of these upgrades that they could practically do them with their eyes shut. I would say to make an appointment at the closest service center, the one most convenient, the one where you know people, etc. and it will work out just fine...

Reactions: Ampster
I am in the same boat. Actually still trying to decide between MCU2 upgrade for my 2016 model X vs emmc chip replacement / recall.
For example, the Irvine service center is relatively new... do we trust them?
If you're going to have your dash taken apart, I would go for the upgrade VS the replacement. Faster UI, maps, sentry mode/dash cam with clip review on screen + rear cam footage, usable browser, better FSD visualization (if you have FSD and the new computer_. I don't really care about the games or video services like Netflix, etc. But it has those, too.

Sandollars

I bleed Cardinal
Feb 19, 2018
So Cal/So UT
It's not a ranger thing, and there's no issue, I'm looking to get the MCU 1> MCU 2 upgrade but I know some service centers do better work than other and want to know who in SoCal does the best work since they'll be disassembling my dash.
I have used 3 SCs in SoCal and in order of preference:

Baldwin Park
Rancho Cucamonga
Cathedral City

But all of them are very professional.

Need

Nov 22, 2017
Rancho Cucamonga
I did MCU 2.5 to FSD at Rancho but they kept it overnight to get "the yellow ring out" of my display, otherwise I am sure it would have been same day. Excellent job, BTW....
I did my MCU 1 to 2 upgrade at Rancho and it was the same day. When you do MCU upgrade, they also change out your screen to a new one so no need to do the UV light thing to take the yellow out. My original MCU 1 screen was super yellow at the edge. And they throw in the HW2.5 to HW3.0 for free even though I don't have FSD.

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC