Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best SoCal Service Center for MCU 2 Upgrade?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Question in title. Which SoCal service center will do the best job properly dis/reassembling my dash to do the MCU2 upgrade? I don't mind driving around to get to the place with the best attention to detail as my car is now out of warranty and I don't want to have any install issues come up that I have to fight to get covered.

Reactions: derkan
It might be able to be done by a ranger. What is the issue that needs to be fixed?
It's not a ranger thing, and there's no issue, I'm looking to get the MCU 1> MCU 2 upgrade but I know some service centers do better work than other and want to know who in SoCal does the best work since they'll be disassembling my dash.

I think, at this point, that the service centers have done so many of these upgrades that they could practically do them with their eyes shut. I would say to make an appointment at the closest service center, the one most convenient, the one where you know people, etc. and it will work out just fine...

Reactions: Ampster
I am in the same boat. Actually still trying to decide between MCU2 upgrade for my 2016 model X vs emmc chip replacement / recall.
For example, the Irvine service center is relatively new... do we trust them?
If you're going to have your dash taken apart, I would go for the upgrade VS the replacement. Faster UI, maps, sentry mode/dash cam with clip review on screen + rear cam footage, usable browser, better FSD visualization (if you have FSD and the new computer_. I don't really care about the games or video services like Netflix, etc. But it has those, too.

It's not a ranger thing, and there's no issue, I'm looking to get the MCU 1> MCU 2 upgrade but I know some service centers do better work than other and want to know who in SoCal does the best work since they'll be disassembling my dash.
I have used 3 SCs in SoCal and in order of preference:

Baldwin Park
Rancho Cucamonga
Cathedral City

But all of them are very professional.

I did MCU 2.5 to FSD at Rancho but they kept it overnight to get "the yellow ring out" of my display, otherwise I am sure it would have been same day. Excellent job, BTW....
I did my MCU 1 to 2 upgrade at Rancho and it was the same day. When you do MCU upgrade, they also change out your screen to a new one so no need to do the UV light thing to take the yellow out. My original MCU 1 screen was super yellow at the edge. And they throw in the HW2.5 to HW3.0 for free even though I don't have FSD.