TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Best solution for sharing charging installation between Tesla and another EV

Discussion in 'Model X: Battery & Charging' started by flar, Jan 1, 2017.

1. flar

flar Member

I have an EV that I've been charging from 110 because it works fine for overnight usage, but I've wanted to charge it from 240v as well for faster turnaround. I bought a 240v J1772 adapter a while back when it was on sale, but I haven't installed 240v in the garage yet. Now that I've placed an order for a Tesla I'm trying to decide the best option for charging the Tesla and also being useful for charging the existing EV faster.

Also, I want to avoid doing too much work on this place because I don't own it and don't want to put too much money into improvements on a place I don't own and who knows how long I'll be here. The owner is not interested in doing the upgrades, but is OK with me running new lines to the garage on my own dime, though.

Option 1: Install a 14-50 outlet, either plug in the Clipper Creek for the older EV or the UMC for the Tesla, Tesla is limited to 40A. I have to pack/unpack the UMC to charge the Tesla and also have it for emergency use on the road.

Option 2: Install a 14-50 outlet and a wall connector that draws as many amps as my panel can support to the garage wall. I can charge either at best rate, but I have to watch and not charge both at the same time. Cleanest install with fewer devices being juggled. Harder to remove the wall connector when I move, though.

Option 3: Install a 14-50 and modify a wall connector to take power from the 14-50. It looks like the design of the housing of the wall connector isn't designed for this, but it would make it easy to take the wall connector with me for future use. The wall connector would be limited to 40A as well in this configuration, but overall the solution is cleaner than using the UMC all the time.

Option 4: Install a 14-50 and buy a second UMC. Not quite as clean feeling as having a wall connector, but saves having to pack and unpack it for every use or road trip and easiest to uninstall and take with me.

Option 5: Install a hard-wired wall connector and continue to live with 110 charging for the other EV (which only has a 10kwh battery, so that is livable). Not sure how hard it would be to remove and take with me when/if I move, though.

What's unclear to me is how hard it would be to "undo" a wall connector hard-wired connection and leave no/few marks if I take it with me. Also, if it is feasible to modify the wall connector to use a 14-50 outlet...?

2. thimel

thimel Member

I would suggest installing the Clipper Creek and using it alternate nights to charge your Tesla and your older EV. The Tesla comes with the necessary adapter. I do this for my LEAF and Tesla. I back in the Tesla while parking the LEAF forwards. That way my charging cable easily reaches both. I keep the UMC in the trunk of the Tesla for the rare case of charging someplace I am staying overnight.

• Like x 1
  3. Canuck

Canuck Well-Known Member

It's really simple. Just buy a range plug at Home Depot and wire it in. Then set the dip switches to 40 amps. I did that for my home since 40 amps is plenty for overnight (actually I have it set for 42 amps so each charger only draws 21 amps for less wear -- but they changed the chargers so I don't know how it works now). I initially had a 14-50 installed but I like to keep the UMC in the car and it seems far too light weight to last very long compared to the HPWC.

At my cabin, I hard wired another HPWC to its own 100 amp fuse since I need the full 80 amps to be able to go to my cabin and back in one day. The hardest part of doing that was getting the thick wire into the HPWC. Because you are only drawing 40 amps with a 14-50 it's easier to wire the range plug into the HPWC.

More here:
    Plug HPWC into a NEMA 14-50 plug?

HPWC to NEMA 14-50

4. gene

gene Supporting Member

You live in the an Francisco are. You have so many Superchargers and J1772 all over the place, it is senseless to bring a UMC with you. In addition, Nema 14-50 sockets will wear out from daily plugging and unplugging. I'd say use the UMC for the Tesla, leave it plugged in always. Use 120 volts for the old EV nightly as it is likely enough recharge and your electrical system can easily handle the UMC and 120 running at the same time. On the rare occasion you need to charge the old EV quickly, you can remove the UMC and plug in the Clipper Creek (assuming you have a 14-50 plug on it).

5. flar

flar Member

On a day to day basis that makes sense, but there are situations when it will be needed unexpectedly...

- I'm likely to leave for a weekend of driving and forget to load it up. I'm like that when packing. I'd rather leave it in the car full time and always have it.

- When visiting a friend and doing a mini road trip or at the end of a long day of running errands and traveling about the bay area I might want to charge while we have dinner and watch a movie. They'll have a dryer plug likely but not a convenient J1772. I actually looked at what it would take to visit my friend in the East Bay with my other EV and it wasn't pretty unless I could charge on 240v at their house. Even trying to find a Chargepoint in the evening around them is difficult as the only Chargepoint within 15 miles of their location got turned off in the evenings after the local business closed.

6. flar

flar Member

The Clipper Creek is only 20A - which was more than enough for my EV, but half of what the UMC can do. :(

7. flar

flar Member

Ding ding! This is exactly the info I was looking for. In looking it over it seems that it isn't recommended because a hard-wired charger is only rated for a hard-wired installation. On the other hand, my Clipper Creek was also a hard-wired unit and I was planning to add my own plug anyway, so I've already gone down that path.

I sort of suspected that it can be done, but I don't see any info in there on whether anyone had to dremel out a part of the HPWC housing in order to get the cord through. I'm guessing it doesn't come with a convenient cutout for running another wire outside of the housing.

8. Az_Rael

Az_Rael Supporting Member

I am charging my Model S right now with a 20A clipper creek I bought for my Volt. Haven't yet woken up to a car not fully charged and I have an 80 mile round trip daily commute. It is able to fully charge my car within my TOU "cheap" window as well. I did buy an extra J1772 plug adapter so I could keep one in the car at all times, but it sounds like you have already taken this step.

Like you, I wanted to keep my costs low, as we will only be in this house another year.

How many miles is your daily commute?

9. flar

flar Member

That's an interesting point.

Right now, due to some odd circumstances with office space, 40 feet. In a reasonable time frame it would tend to be 90 miles, but with occasional "long way home" additions. None of those would cause a problem for 20A charging. I haven't investigated any rate plans so I don't know how long the best rates would last here.

But, I sometimes take trips on weekends that would eat up a significant chunk of the range - say 200 miles round trip. Those are the trips that would tend to beg the question of how fast the home charger was, though there would be workarounds in terms of finding some other means to charge in the area. Also, that would only be a real problem if there two of those in a weekend which would likely be pretty rare and I could plug in the UMC for those cases to double the charging speed.

So, it sounds like just going with a 14-50 outlet and using the Clipper Creek for primary home charging doesn't have too many drawbacks. At least at first I could try it and always buy/modify an HPWC if I want to have frequent home 40A charging...

10. Az_Rael

Az_Rael Supporting Member

I don't take a lot of weekend trips, so I haven't had to deal with back to back 200 mile days. The worst mileage day was actually the day I picked up the car, since they hadn't fully charged it, and I had to back track to a service center. Got home with 16 miles, and was able to put enough back on in the afternoon to go out to a local concert that night. Didn't have enough range to do dinner afterwards, but we used a Level 2 at a restaurant and were fine. Next morning I was back up to 90%. So I am hanging on to the slower clipper creek for now.

Only drawback so far is I have to manually open the charge port with my key or the console since I'm not using a UMC. You have a newer car, though, and I think those can be opened by touching the corner of the port.

11. Saghost

Saghost Active Member

#11 Saghost, Jan 3, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2017
    The current HPWC comes with three different openings to run wires in from the outside, depending on what direction you wanted to connect from.

Remember, a hard wired solution would still need wires running in, most likely in a conduit.

12. flar

flar Member

D'oh! I suppose that was obvious, but somehow I was thinking that with the pictures in the installation guide of how to do the internal wiring, that somehow it was mounted over the location where the wiring came out of the wall. But, yes, I've seen plenty of pictures of them mounted with a conduit leading away from them.

I think I'm now very comfortable with planning for that solution if I want to pursue it down the road, and with using my Clipper Creek as a daily charging solution in the short term as I get a feel for exactly what makes me the most comfortable. Just need to get on that task of having the 14-50 installed now.

Since the HPWC and the UMC are the same price (I'd get the longer cord), then between "get a spare UMC" and "get an HPWC and hook it to a 14-50" the HPWC solution makes more sense because it would support higher amperage should you move, or should you want to upgrade the wiring later.

13. davewill

davewill Member

There's another solution. Get an HPWC for the Tesla and buy one of QuickChargePower.com's JWalls which is an HPWC with a J1772 connector on it for the other car. Connect them to share the 40a circuit so that either car can charge at full speed if the other isn't charging at the same time.

Granted, this is not a cheap solution.

14. flar

flar Member

Especially since the other EV charges at a max of under 3kw... ;)

15. ccutrer

ccutrer Active Member

Personally, I'm going for a similar solution. Two (regular) wall connectors sharing a 50a circuit, and a JDaptor on one to charge the Leaf. Then when I get my 3, and get rid of the Leaf, I just take the JDaptor off, and I'm good to go. The hard part... waiting for the JDaptor!

16. jason1466

jason1466 Member

I asked the maker of the JDaptor about status and recommended setup about the same as you plan, and JDaptor questions were always ignored, despite receiving great advise and options on workarounds not including JDaptor. I get the feeling we would be waiting a long time for it, but maybe I misread the actual situation. I am now planning a 3rd Bosch or similar 30-40A J1772 charger for $400ish plus 14-50 install on new circuit.

17. ccutrer

ccutrer Active Member

Tony did respond to me, but no definitive date or anything. I'm arranging temporary (barely) L2 charging in the meantime (borrowing a 16A 240V plug in EVSE from a friend; I won it from a drawing last year, and had no use for it, so gave it to him. His situation he can get by with trickle charging, I cannot).

18. Saghost

Saghost Active Member

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the obvious solution yet...

Sell the other EV and buy a second Tesla. :p

• Funny x 1
  19. ccutrer

ccutrer Active Member

As soon as I can get a Model 3, I will! (which is why I want to go the noncommittal route on a generic J1772 charger).