Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best speed for road trips?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What is the most optimal speed for a Model 3 on a road trip?

I have been trying to figure out the answer before a cross country road trip and it is not a simple question. Traditionally, with an ICE car the faster the better because they can refuel at +6,000 miles of range per hour. But speeding in an electric is somewhat counterproductive, you use up your range faster than you can make up for it with more frequent charging. So... what is the ideal speed to travel the most distance in the least amount of time on a trip requiring many charging stops?

In my brief research using abetterroutplanner.com it seems that 74 mph is the ideal speed but I am curious if anyone has some more concrete data to support this.
Based on not much I set the cruise at 74 mph where the speed limit on I5 was 70 mph, at 70 where the limit was 65. Mainly trying to avoid a speeding ticket. Recently made the trip from Palm Springs to Vancouver BC. If you find 250 kW chargers you will cut charging time. They have several at Kettleman City, and at Lacey, in Olympia (I think). Had a good trip.

There was a lot of analysis done in the early days of supercharging - basically, as long as you can reach the next supercharger, you should drive as fast as you dare. It gets you to the supercharger quicker and with a lower battery %. The supercharger adds range faster than you use it/lose it through driving which more than offsets arriving with a higher SOC.

There were some fairly complex mathematical analysis-es done, but 'faster the better' always was the underlying message
Pretty much it comes down to balancing consumption and time spent charging.

There is a point where sticking around at the charger takes longer than just slowing down.

On my recent 8,000 mile roadtrip I mostly drove at 5 mph over the speed limit on Interstates, with a max speed of 75. I had to keep it at 75 in my 2020 Model Y AWD LR because Phantom Breaking occurred more often at higher speeds while using Autopilot. That was with software version 2021.44.30.21. I’m hoping the version 2022.4.5.21 that was lately installed will have less Phantom Braking on my next road trip.

when will ev better than ice in long trips? ever?
I take ice for longer trips.
I doubt they'll ever beat ICEs for range and refueling/recharging time. I think a lot of us find EVs preferable anyway due to lower fatigue (not having the constant subtle vibrations from a combustion engine makes a bigger difference than you think) and operating costs. Add to that that most people don't take long trips that frequently, many of us are willing to compromise on that 1% use case when it makes the 99% better to live with.

Reactions: tm1v2
Did a cross country trip last year. Did about 6500 miles and spent about $200 for charging. At today's gas prices that trip would be close to 1K in fuel in an ICE car.
Picked hotels with chargers, and stayed with friends and family that has charging available.
Doing another one in June. Drive about 10-12 hrs/day. I find it less tiring after a trip in M3P than I ever did driving an ICE car.
For me the EV is better on long trips than my ICE car was.

Did a cross country trip last year. Did about 6500 miles and spent about $200 for charging. At today's gas prices that trip would be close to 1K in fuel in an ICE car.
Picked hotels with chargers, and stayed with friends and family that has charging available.
Doing another one in June. Drive about 10-12 hrs/day. I find it less tiring after a trip in M3P than I ever did driving an ICE car.
For me the EV is better on long trips than my ICE car was.
Shorter sectors longer breaks in a timeline natural with the body if you’re ripping and running (cannonball)

For bottom readers :
1. Driving 100mph is fun but hard on the body (rader dectecter important)
2. Getting stopped by Smoky, will cost more, drive time will be bad
3. For most drivers 70-80mph seems popular
4. Breaks to pe and eat food is important and are fun
5. Do a little route planning, include wind, temp, weather
6. Know where to charge

If you have a long way to go and a short time to get there
put the hammer down
Something about an old mans bladder and a young mans heart.
What beer time you say, never mind

Wind *is* taken into account, but not when the car is stationary.

Ok, great!

Think about it this way:
At the Supercharger, a new destination will figure you are driving the speed limit, there is no wind, water, snow or mud, and you are not using AC.
After you are driving for a few minutes at speed, your actual driving speed and road/weather conditions will cause arrival SoC changes.

Your mistake is ignoring the dropping arrival SoC until the car tells you to slow down. The much better way for stress free driving is to incrementally slow down until the arrival SoC stabilizes.

It is not a mistake especially when you have just bought your first Tesla. The mistake is poor programming by Tesla. Having to monitor SoC shouldn't have to be done if the software is written correctly.

On my recent 8,000 mile roadtrip I mostly drove at 5 mph over the speed limit on Interstates, with a max speed of 75. I had to keep it at 75 in my 2020 Model Y AWD LR because Phantom Breaking occurred more often at higher speeds while using Autopilot. That was with software version 2021.44.30.21. I’m hoping the version 2022.4.5.21 that was lately installed will have less Phantom Braking on my next road trip.
Zero phantom braking in my 2019 M3P on the road trips I have been on.

You've done a lot of data collecting, but ABRP, abetterrouteplanner.com, will factor all of those things into its model, which uses real-world data. Yes, temp from your car, speed from your car, inside temp/outside temp, wind speed and direction, and yes, you can tell it if you've put on a rack, etc. The free version doesn't factor in wind, but the $5/month does. I took a 4400 mile trip this past year, and it was spot-on accurate, thanks to the wind data.
this is cool KenC, thanks for sharing

Circling back on this one. One person on this forum name escapes me said if I can average 55mph in a 24 hour period including sleeping I can cover about 1300 miles a day. This has held true since about 2017 for me. Allows me to cover about 1200 or so each day. 1300 is pushing the limits. Again this is a solo driver. Most I have ever covered in a two day period was 2380.

If you do the math you will see you don't sleep very much.

Solo drivers it is getting close to parity with ICE. Team driving ICE still wins. Especially in multiple days.

I find 75mph is best for me, completed a 6400-mile trip last year in my 2020 Model Y and I pretty much kept it at 75, no issues, this May I will be driving cross country again to Miami and then up to Portland Maine and back to San Diego. So, this trip will be more then 6400 miles and will keep it at 75mph. I also use ABRP Premium.

Fred

• Informative
Reactions: KenC
When you turn 70. At that point you will no longer be able to drive for more than 2 hours without having to stop for a bathroom break or to get out of the car to unlock your knees and hips. Plus, you will need a nap which is not something you should do while driving even with FSD. Since you'll be stopping every 2 hours anyway, you might as well do it at an SC.

I know the thread is a bit old and the OP has already drove the trip in question but I thought I would share some information. Although these are not a model 3, it shows the different speed efficiency between our Model Y and Model X. Yes, our Model Y is a thirsty girl.

This is for our Model Y now with approx. 57,000 miles.

1651248904817.png

And the Model X with over 75,000
1651249089522.png

• Informative
Reactions: pipp and makopolo