Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best SSD for TeslaCam?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think the glovebox port is a more recent addition (compared to some of the cars people have been discussing) and that is why it wasn’t mentioned. I would also prefer the glovebox as hidden and locked.
i don’t have a drive yet, and have a question. In a MUSIC folder or partition, can you then have folders with different music? How many sub folders can these have? I mean, can I have MUSIC/classical/Mozart/requiem in d….
Also, spaces allowed in titles, do folders need to be all caps, title caps, doesn’t matter, etc. ?
Thanks for any help. Looks like the standout is the Samsung T5ssd or equivalent.
We have a T5 - our music folder has sub folders for albums. Works fine - haven't tried sub-sub-folders. The navigation to the folders is a
bit clunky ... but essentially everything about the music on my Tesla is trying to encourage/force you to use the online streaming BS.
- Jim in PNW

Any updated on it's performance
I had no issues with performant, however due to the hours I drive and the number of writes to the drive, it will eventually have issues typical of any SSD.

I have switched over last month, and it's now on Prime Day sale. I might pick up another 1TB as it's a good value.

I made my own. Yes, it gets hot but all SSDs get hot that is why I used an all aluminum case. I am hoping to get 2 years out of it.

1TB for dashcam/sentry and 1TB for music--will not play hiRes FLAC files:rolleyes:

Works great so far

I saw several articles about heat tolerant solutions like these Extreme SSD. These also mentioned MicroSDs as alternatives with the USB adapter. Any reason folks aren't using these instead? They seem more economical to replace, heat tolerant and stated R/W speed are more than fast enough. Curious why folks aren't using more of those.

I saw several articles about heat tolerant solutions like these Extreme SSD. These also mentioned MicroSDs as alternatives with the USB adapter. Any reason folks aren't using these instead? They seem more economical to replace, heat tolerant and stated R/W speed are more than fast enough. Curious why folks aren't using more of those.
Agreed. They are literally designed for dashcam use. I have been using my Endurance SD for over 2 years now with no issues.

Reactions: niveknow
FWIW I think i actually received my SSD from Amazon and returned it unopened and went with the micro SD card solution which after a few false starts seems to be working fine. I felt there was less to go wrong. I bought SanDisk Max Endurance 256GB for the dashcam, and a 32gb of the same for audio (which i really don't use). I paid and $55 for the 256 GB version and $14 for the 32GB version. I felt these had more read/write cycles and would be more temperature resistant.
I bought 2 Kingston Digital FCR-ML3C MobileLite Duo 3C - which can work as USB A (dashcam) or USB C (console for music) ($12.95 each when I bought, now $15 each)
I'm purposely not including amazon links so folks don't think i'm trying to get some amazon affiliate stuff. happy to share a link if requested.

Reactions: niveknow
Awesome. Which USB adapter are you using with it?

You can use most generic adapters, except for SanDisk MobileMate USB 3.0 that doesn't work in Tesla cars . However, as most adapters are meant for home use only, you negate the wide temperature operation range or MicroSD cards. I use the built in reader in the JOWUA USB Hub with LED Light in my 2018 Model 3. For newer cars with a USB 3.0 port in the glove box you can use the JOWUA USB 3.0 DashCam Reader.