Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best states for Tesla purchase incentives?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

azred

Apr 12, 2016
Chandler, AZ
I live in Arizona and had assumed my kids living in California could get a much better deal on a new Tesla given the $2500 CA tax credit. But when I was allowed $50,000 on my trade, none of that trade difference was taxable here in AZ and five years of plates cost about $25 a year. If I understand correctly I probably would have paid $3500 or so of sales tax on the trade in CA plus several hundred bucks a year for the plates. Both states allow access to car pool lanes so that's a wash but it seems to me I actually got a much better financial deal in AZ. Am I missing something and if not, why isn't this more widely known? When I researched incentives, it seems to me no one points out the real differences between states. Of course I understand the calculation depends on having a trade-in. But even without the trade, the almost free plates would quickly offset the $2500, right?

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: JanetM
Sounds like you got off easy. My registration will run over $1950 in Colorado and that's after paying nearly $8000 in sales taxes. o_O Thank goodness for the $6000 state tax credit!
Wow and I told my wife who is from Denver that it is too bad she isn't still a resident. Only proves my suspicion is correct that most of the info on the Internet gives a very warped view of the breaks Tesla owners receive from their respective states. Of course I understand there are lots of factors involved so it is hard to compare states, but my original thought that I wished I was a Colorado or California resident was wrong for my situation, especially since we keep cars a long time and alt fuel plates here are dirt cheap.

Nebraska gets screwed. On a $100k car you pay a one time $7,000 sales tax, $1,900/yr registration (goes down 10% a year) $75/yr EV tax, $100/yr if you don't want a front license plate, $50/year wheel tax and a bunch of smaller fees.

Total state incentives: $0, but they do have special loans but the rate was the same for me.

The only small bonus is that you pay based on the original MSRP. If you unlock the battery and AP after the purchase you don't pay tax on that.

Sounds like you got off easy. My registration will run over $1950 in Colorado and that's after paying nearly $8000 in sales taxes. o_O Thank goodness for the $6000 state tax credit!
Yep, tags here are just ridiculous - for pot-hole filled roads, and crumbling bridges. Someone tried to tell me "oh it's the snow" - but seems to me there's plenty of snow falls in the North East too.
Only upside as far as I am concerned - tax credit on an imported CPO, though that goes away the day after tomorrow.