Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best States to Purchase From Tesla in?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
  • Disagree
Reactions: kort677
I see you listed CT as one of your picks. Southern New Hampshire is only a couple of hours away from CT (Seriously doubt if any fellow native nutmeggers would recommend registering there!). Zero sales tax in NH. If you're also looking for work, the 2.6% unemployment rate here is tough to beat.

In WA, no sales tax on EVs. At 9% (we don't tax Microsoft millionaires on their capital gains), that amounts to $9k on a $90k price tag., atop the federal $7.5k tax credit. So instead of the $9+90k total, think $82.5k.
Actually, there WAS no sales tax on EVs in WA until the end of June 2015. It then changed to no sales tax on EVs under $35k, which was a problem for ones costing $35,001 or more.

New legislation was to make the FIRST $32,000 (I think) sales tax exempt on all EVs, a much better idea, but am not sure if that is in place yet. There was a thread on this in the TMC Northwest section, but I can't find it now.

Actually, there WAS no sales tax on EVs in WA until the end of June 2015. It then changed to no sales tax on EVs under $35k, which was a problem for ones costing $35,001 or more.

New legislation was to make the FIRST $32,000 (I think) sales tax exempt on all EVs, a much better idea, but am not sure if that is in place yet. There was a thread on this in the TMC Northwest section, but I can't find it now.

Giving an exemption of the first X amount makes more sense than the way they did it. I wonder if EV purchases decreased when they passed that law eliminating the exemption for cars over $35K last year?

Thanks for sharing, yes, my info is somewhat dated considering I haven't lived in the state in almost 10 years and the news is so much more vocal about something negative like a broke state than a state that's doing ok.

I see you listed CT as one of your picks. Southern New Hampshire is only a couple of hours away from CT (Seriously doubt if any fellow native nutmeggers would recommend registering there!). Zero sales tax in NH. If you're also looking for work, the 2.6% unemployment rate here is tough to beat.

So next year when I give up my apartment I plan to stay else where for up to 3-4 months. Nothing lavish, just crashing with friends and family. During that time I'll change my address somewhere I'm visiting just to get mail forwarded. IF, and this is a big IF. If I get the offer to configure my model 3 before then and know roughly when I'll take delivery I might pick it up elsewhere and drive it to CA. Everything so far is legit and honest. The problem I run into at this point, as someone else has pointed out, if I want to keep that savings when I get to CA I need to keep the car on paper out of CA for quite some time and from what I've heard that can get messy and cali is actively aggressive about catching people who do this. Long story short, I picked states to research knowing I could legitimately get a free address there. That being said I do know someone in New Hampshire.