Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best Stopping Mode for Motorway Driving?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It will be interesting to see just how efficient the EV is at what will be a lower average speed. I'm beginning to believe that keeping between 65 and 70 on Motorways is best for range, but it is a tad tedious. OK in bad weather here concentration is needed, but in good conditions the temptation to have fun, either speed or silly acceleration, is so tempting....

On any trip where you are expecting to require a Supercharger stop there is no advantage to extending range by going slower than you would normally drive. The reason is that you can always Supercharge at a faster rate than you can drive. The extra percentage used is put back into the battery very quickly. The only scenario where it's advantageous to squeeze range to the max is if it enables you to avoid a stop altogether.

On any trip where you are expecting to require a Supercharger stop there is no advantage to extending range by going slower than you would normally drive.
No advantage in terms of time maybe but advantage in terms of less energy used for the good of the planet, less battery cycling and less cost in electricity. Personally I wouldn't slow down.

Reactions: Adopado
On any trip where you are expecting to require a Supercharger stop there is no advantage to extending range by going slower than you would normally drive. The reason is that you can always Supercharge at a faster rate than you can drive. The extra percentage used is put back into the battery very quickly. The only scenario where it's advantageous to squeeze range to the max is if it enables you to avoid a stop altogether.
Good point, still getting used to EV Charging logic

The most efficient way on motorways seems to be with TACC turned on. With the best will in the world we can't maintain a steady pace as well as it can and while regen is good its not 100% efficient. Try it for yourself sometime although repeating identical conditions is pretty difficult.

Just to add a bit more in relation to one pedal driving. When you need to emergency brake (we all have at some time) in one pedal driving mode the car quickly starts to decelerate between moving your foot from the accelerator to the brake which reduces your braking distance by a few yards whilst in roll mode your breaking distance will be increased because of the few milliseconds between moving your foot from the accelerator to the break pedal. This few yards can easily be the difference between a sharp intake of breath and an expensive shunt, is the small energy cost saving worth the loss of these few gained yards of breaking distance at 70MPH?

Just to add a bit more in relation to one pedal driving. When you need to emergency brake (we all have at some time) in one pedal driving mode the car quickly starts to decelerate between moving your foot from the accelerator to the brake which reduces your braking distance by a few yards whilst in roll mode your breaking distance will be increased because of the few milliseconds between moving your foot from the accelerator to the break pedal. This few yards can easily be the difference between a sharp intake of breath and an expensive shunt, is the small energy cost saving worth the loss of these few gained yards of breaking distance at 70MPH?

I don't see how roll mode affects this. The car will behave exactly the same in both modes when braking from moderate to high speeds. "Roll" only affects the last few feet before the car needs to stop. The only situation where it would be different is if in stop go traffic where you are moving at 2mph ... but in that situation AEB kicks in no matter what "roll" "creep" mode you have set.

I don't see how roll mode affects this. The car will behave exactly the same in both modes when braking from moderate to high speeds. "Roll" only affects the last few feet before the car needs to stop. The only situation where it would be different is if in stop go traffic where you are moving at 2mph ... but in that situation AEB kicks in no matter what "roll" "creep" mode you have set.
Think @cryo refers to what happens during the time it takes you to switch your foot to the brake pedal, in case of an emergency, and I agree with that point that it makes it safer. There is a noticeable deceleration when you lift off the "gas" pedal if you are in "hold" mode, and it's definitely affecting the car at highway speeds, not just at lower speeds in the city.

However, my initial question was about range gains, and not what's safest between the two modes.

There's a noticeable deceleration when you lift off the gas accelerator pedal in creep (or roll) mode.
From the manual:
Regenerative braking decelerates Model 3 whenever you release the accelerator pedal when driving. You can choose what you want Model 3 to do once the driving speed has been reduced to a very low speed (almost at a stop) and both the accelerator pedal and brake pedal are released. While in Park, touch Controls > Pedals & Steering > Stopping Mode and choose from these options:

When Model 3 was first launched. and well into UK deliveries too, Hold mode didn’t exist - just roll and creep. Drivers were well versed in behaviour of roll and creep.

When hold mode was introduced, the only difference it made was how car behaved in reverse, how it behaved on some inclines and how it behaved when coming to a final stop at slow speed.

The was absolutely no difference in behaviour of car when lifting off the accelerator at normal driving speed.

There was also high and low regen modes, still is on some cars, which did/does make a difference, but not hold mode. SWMBO drives high regen, I drive low regen, but, at Teslas suggestion, just to occasionally give the brake mechanism a bit more to do. Surprisingly no one is arguing that low regen is less safe,,,

Last edited:
Reactions: Adopado and init6
It seems like you are thinking that roll mode means there will be no regenerative braking, so you can coast. As per what various people have posted that's not the case, it only effect the very final bit before the car stops. so it's hard to imagine this will make any determinable difference on a motorway.

Can't say for sure as I guess few people have had cause to try this, why not do that and come back and tell us.

Tesla is supposed to be removing roll and creep mode from cars made Jan onwards, already gone from Highland, although maybe this is just USA?, I would imagine those modes are both less efficient as creep will always have some power going to motor even at standstill where you need to hold car on brake and roll won’t regen as much

Think @cryo refers to what happens during the time it takes you to switch your foot to the brake pedal, in case of an emergency, and I agree with that point that it makes it safer. There is a noticeable deceleration when you lift off the "gas" pedal if you are in "hold" mode, and it's definitely affecting the car at highway speeds, not just at lower speeds in the city.

However, my initial question was about range gains, and not what's safest between the two modes.
Can’t edit my post.

I tested my claim today and it’s different than I remembered.

Indeed roll and hold do nothing at normal speeds. Deceleration is the same. This setting is not as useful to me as I remember.

Now wondering if you want to coast if it’s better that you shift to N by holding the stalk or if you are supposed to feather the “gas” pedal to reduce regen until it does almost coast.

Or if I have to get the S3XY buttons to adjust regen on the fly.

I really wish regen was user configurable by default.

Now wondering if you want to coast if it’s better that you shift to N by holding the stalk or if you are supposed to feather the “gas” pedal to reduce regen until it does almost coast.

it "feels" to me that Neutral coast better (than trying to judge exact zero-energy point.

On MS I can just knock the D-N-P stalk into N. On M3 / MY I think it it s long-hold-UP (and then let go) on the drive selector

Reactions: nemuro
Tesla is supposed to be removing roll and creep mode from cars made Jan onwards, already gone from Highland, although maybe this is just USA?, I would imagine those modes are both less efficient as creep will always have some power going to motor even at standstill where you need to hold car on brake and roll won’t regen as much
Though that's how creep works with an ICE running that's not how Tesla would do it ... you can be confident that the power to the motor stops when the car stops. You just miss that last tiny bit of regen.

Can’t edit my post.

I tested my claim today and it’s different than I remembered.

Indeed roll and hold do nothing at normal speeds. Deceleration is the same. This setting is not as useful to me as I remember.

Or if I have to get the S3XY buttons to adjust regen on the fly.

I really wish regen was user configurable by default.
Just drive smoothly and plan as far in advance as is possible, this will achieve the same as mucking around with N. There is no real N on an EV, the wheels are always connected to the motor as there is no gear box, it's exactly the same as driving at the point between drive and regen.