Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best Story about “What kind of car is that?”

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As with most MS owners I have some pretty very funny stories to tell about people’s reactions to seeing the Model S for the first time.
I think my best story is when I was about to leave a mall parking lot.

My 4 year was getting into the car, I was standing on grass at the back of my MS getting my 1.5 year old out of the stroller with the trunk open and along comes a couple.
“What kind of car is that?”
“It’s a Tesla.”
The wife frowns and says “who makes it?”
I responded and we chatted a little while they peered in through the trunk.
So far I have not told them it is electric and I say to the husband “go over an open up the hood”, you’ll be impressed with what’s inside.
I pop the hood with the remote while I am still getting my kid out of the stroller and I chat with the wife a little more. The husband opens the hood and a big smile appears, he looks at me and says “Oh, it’s a rear engine car!”
My response was “ you were just over here looking in the trunk”
This was the best part, he looked under the hood and back to me and did a double take, the expression on his face was like “What the ???”

That is one of my favorite tales about my Model S does anyone else have other stories to make us owners smile?

I was in a mall parking lot. I had made some purchases and had opened the frunk to store them and while doing so an elderly man and wife approached me. Seeing nothing in the frunk that she expected the lady asked, "Excuse me, but what kind of car is this?" I told her it was a Tesla and immediately her husband responded with, "Come on Marjorie. We are not interested looking at any Japanese rice burner." I politely looked at him and said, "Excuse me sir, but this doesn't burn rice. In fact, it doesn't 'burn' anything. It runs on electricity. And it is not a Japanese car. It's American made in Palo Alto California." He took his wife's hand and led her away while saying loudly enough, "Honey he does not know what he is talking about, now come on dear."
If ignorance is bliss, this is one of the most blissful individuals I have ever met! Funny, I would have thought blissful people would be more happy.

My best story: As I showed the car to a mixed bunch of guys, I suggested they guess the number of cylinders. "8?". no. "12". nope. "16?!!!". "no, currently 23," I answer, and looks are all WTF??? I pop the frunk and there is a crate of beer with one bottle missing. "Must be rear engine, then", one mutters. So we walk to the back and I open the trunk. Even more puzzled looks. "What is this? Do you have to push this car?" "No, it's electric." "Ahhh, and this cover hides the batteries, right?"
I answer "Well, let's see." And unfold the jump seats. From there on, there was no clear line of conversation going on. But it all resolved in a couple of test rides.
My favorite bystander's statement: "Now you see what you really can get from a car!"

For me, the landscape has changed over my past year of ownership. I rarely, if ever, get those "what kind of car is that" questions any more. People will still come up to me and talk about the car, but it is because they know what it is. In the rare instance someone asks, they immediately recognize the Tesla brand when I say it. Big difference from a year ago.

This was the best part, he looked under the hood and back to me and did a double take, the expression on his face was like “What the ???"

Great story! Where I live, the San Francisco area, Teslas have become so widespread that most people at least know they are an EV. So you are unlikely to be able to surprise them by opening the frunk, but there is still a lot of curiosity about the car and people want to talk about it. My neighbors were happy to be offered a ride but their eyes really light up when I get in the passenger seat and tell them to drive.

You have to drive the car to really "get it".

Great story! I was with my sister and she brought her 1 year old with her. He pooped and needed a diaper change, so I pulled over and popped open the trunk for her. About 6 or 7 people came by to see her change her son and people were wondering where the engine's located. They looked and saw just a set of seats in the rear hatch and they were very confused! Asked me how much the car costed and they were shocked both at the price and that it's an EV!

Drive-through drop off at my daughter's school. Pull up to the lady that opens the doors to let the kids out. Moment of brief confusion when she sees the flush handles then jaw drops when they slide out.

She opens the door, then she sees the big screen and her eyes just bug out. Instead of letting my daughter out she tells her to "Scoot over!" and then climbs right into the back seat of my car. Stayed there for a good five minutes peppering me with questions and was just totally mind blown.

When I was talking to USAA to get my insurance set up, when I told the guy it was a Tesla, the first thing he said was, oh, Consumer Reports best car ever. We ended up talking for at least 15 minutes before getting around to the business at hand. Told him about supercharging, internet, etc. He wants one, bad.

When I was talking to USAA to get my insurance set up, when I told the guy it was a Tesla, the first thing he said was, oh, Consumer Reports best car ever. We ended up talking for at least 15 minutes before getting around to the business at hand. Told him about supercharging, internet, etc. He wants one, bad.

Heh, awesome! When I sold my old car to CarMax (shh, don't judge), the guy who handled the final paperwork and printed out my check was familiar with Tesla (I think the Roadster, though) and was jealous! ;-)

For me, the landscape has changed over my past year of ownership. I rarely, if ever, get those "what kind of car is that" questions any more. People will still come up to me and talk about the car, but it is because they know what it is. In the rare instance someone asks, they immediately recognize the Tesla brand when I say it. Big difference from a year ago.

The most interesting thing for me was this.

I was getting constant comments, at least twice a week, on the car. About half of the people knew about Tesla and the other half didn't.

Come the snows... nobody even looks at my car any more. All too busy rushing from warm place to warm place, bundled up.

I suspect this will change again once the weather warms up.