Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best Strategy for taking advantage of Super Off-peak Rate

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
APS (Arizona) has super off peak rate of $0.032 per kWh between the hours of 10 am to 3 pm. (This super off -peak rate only applies on week days during the winter.)

From 7 pm to 10 am, the off-peak rate is approximately $0.11.

I only drive about 25 miles per day for part-time work commute and leisure driving.

What is the best strategy for taking advantage of the super off-peak rate as well as following best practices for maintaining battery health?

Keeping the above in mind, is the following strategy sound?
  • Set charging range limit to 70%
  • Set charging time from 7 pm to 4 pm (which encompasses both off-peak and super off-peak times)
  • On weekdays that I am home, plug-in at 10 am.
  • On weekdays that I work, plug-in in the late evening when I get home. (I'm not sure if this is necessary, given the low miles that I drive per day.)
(Sorry if the above is too confusing.)

Last edited:
I might try something like setting the car to start charging 4-5AM, and set the charge level to 50% or 60% (whatever the minimum is I need to commute for a day) when I plug in each night. If the car is still home at 10AM, bump the charge level up to 80% or 90%, and manually start the car charging using the app.

Edit: Rethinking this, might as well set the time to start charging to be 7PM. With the charge level set that low, no need to delay charging.

Last edited:
Reactions: ev4robert
I believe the goal is to not have to manipulate the charge settings through the app on a daily basis depending on when it was plugged in.

One factor is what type of charger do you have and what rate does it charge? charging at 1.5kw (L1) vs 8kw (32A 240V) (L2) lead to different responses.

I am going to assume L2 which would reasonably add 10% per hour. This would give you 50% added range during the super off peak hours. Thats 125+ miles of real world driving per day. 25 miles per day is about 10% so you wouldn't even need to charge every day to take full advantage of the SOP rates. If you don't work more than 4 days in a row you could set your charge time to be 10am (or 10:05 to be absolutely sure you don't incur a minute or two charge at the higher rate) and make sure you plug in at least 1 weekday per week. This would would fit in the 20%-70% range of your battery. If you wanted truly optimum conditions for the battery, you would set charge rate to 50% and make sure you plug in during the SOP window whenever you can (at least every 3rd day).

Reactions: ev4robert
I believe the goal is to not have to manipulate the charge settings through the app on a daily basis depending on when it was plugged in.

One factor is what type of charger do you have and what rate does it charge? charging at 1.5kw (L1) vs 8kw (32A 240V) (L2) lead to different responses.

I am going to assume L2 which would reasonably add 10% per hour. This would give you 50% added range during the super off peak hours. Thats 125+ miles of real world driving per day. 25 miles per day is about 10% so you wouldn't even need to charge every day to take full advantage of the SOP rates. If you don't work more than 4 days in a row you could set your charge time to be 10am (or 10:05 to be absolutely sure you don't incur a minute or two charge at the higher rate) and make sure you plug in at least 1 weekday per week. This would would fit in the 20%-70% range of your battery. If you wanted truly optimum conditions for the battery, you would set charge rate to 50% and make sure you plug in during the SOP window whenever you can (at least every 3rd day).
Thank you for your well-thought out solution. I will be using the current generation wall charger.

I typically only work two days in a row. I am thinking that I should always have the vehicle plugged in when home and have the charge time set to 10:05 with 50% limit, as you suggested. If I anticipate needing more range, I will temporarily set the charge percentage to 80 or 90 percent the night before.

Reactions: Mrbrock
Thank you for your well-thought out solution. I will be using the current generation wall charger.

I typically only work two days in a row. I am thinking that I should always have the vehicle plugged in when home and have the charge time set to 10:05 with 50% limit, as you suggested. If I anticipate needing more range, I will temporarily set the charge percentage to 80 or 90 percent the night before.

If you already have the EVSE you can do it the way you've suggested. If you don't then you could install an EVSE that has better charge scheduling functions. Alternatively I think there's a third party app that allows more scheduling than Tesla does natively.