Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best summer tires for MY

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am in the Midwest (Chicago burbs’) and currently running a dedicated winter tire/wheel setup with Replika R241s and Vredestein Wintrac Pros. Now that the weather is getting better looking to swap to summer tires on the stock 20” inch rims for the MY LR. Please note, that I have already ditched the OEM Goodyear Eagles that came with my ‘22 MY LR, they were terrible to say the least.

What are some of the best options for summer tires? Think it would be best for me to get dedicated summer tires and not all-seasons as I already have a set of dedicated winter tires. I was waiting on the Vredestein EV rated tires but they haven’t yet been released to the US market. Next best I see is the Michelin Pilot 4S.

Anyone with personal experience using dedicated summer tires on the Tesla MY LR and not all-seasons? Thoughts ?

Last edited:
Quatrac Pros are actually halfway decent all-season tires in the winter - did you change your mind from wanting an actual summer tire like the Michelin PS4S?
I did. I thought I would just keep one pair all around and sell the winter tires.

Tirerack called and left a message a in the morning asking to confirm the size.

My main question is - do I go with the wider 275/40-R20 tire size or go with the taller but standard width 255/45-R20.

Update - change of mind again lol😁 : Called back Tirerack and changed the tires to Michelin Pilot Sport 4S - 265/40-R20 Max Perf. Summer Tires after some research. Here is my reasoning.

Why I cancelled the order for the Vredestein Quatrac Pros:
- The Vredestein Quatrac Pros 275/40-R20 (my original order) weigh at 33lbs per tire (about 4 pound heavier per tire (total 16 pounds) than the stock OEM size Vredesteins at 29lbs/tire). That would be a considerable hit on the range or so I thought. Not worth it.
- The Vredesteins are grand touring tires, and some European reviews show they have so-so dry grip, and low aquaplaning resistance.
Now, why I went with the 265/40-R20 slightly upsized Michelin Pilot Sport 4S.

- The 265 profile is just right for the MY LR 20" inductions. Just a bit wider than the stock 255 width.
- Also, great summer tires and superior dry and wet performance to the Vredestein Quatracs.
- Weight: The Michelin Pilot Sport 4S 265/40-R20 weigh in at 28lbs/per tire so not bad at all.
- Since I already have a dedicated winter tire set (and money spent is not coming back) so might as well keep those for winter and have these for summer. Dedicated sets instead of going all the seasons.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Thp3 and fiehlsport
Also, btw, can someone explain the difference between these two tires and prices at TireRack? They basically seem to be the same, but the first one is marked :/MO1A Mercedes'. What am I missing here if one ordered the cheaper ones, which I did ?

1681152243793.png

1681152267719.png

Also, btw, can someone explain the difference between these two tires and prices at TireRack? They basically seem to be the same, but the first one is marked :/MO1A Mercedes'. What am I missing here if one ordered the cheaper ones, which I did ?

View attachment 926887

View attachment 926888
Top one is Star Spec (OE manufacturer replacement), meaning they meet exact specifications from vehicle manufacturer (MBZ, in this example). You'll usually see a small star logo on the sidewall to confirm. Most times, the tires will have a slightly smaller footprint than the non-star counterparts.

Reactions: blueknight99
Top one is Star Spec (OE manufacturer replacement), meaning they meet exact specifications from vehicle manufacturer (MBZ, in this example). You'll usually see a small star logo on the sidewall to confirm. Most times, the tires will have a slightly smaller footprint than the non-star counterparts.
Dang I got those and I sure do hope those fit :) lol or else it’ll be a PIA to return.

So you wanted slightly wider to reduce curb rash, but went with the cheaper ones, which might be slightly narrower (if I read it right)?
Nope. Went wider and more expensive. Got the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S 265/40-R20 summer tires. The car looks great with slightly wider profile tires. Also, the rubber is so sticky (read: grippy) that it literally is picking up and throwing the road debris at the wheel wells.

E7A882C6-2E58-40E1-899C-4F73B53427A1.jpeg

DB11CA41-B97A-4ABA-AA73-ED5B238F3813.jpeg

So you wanted slightly wider to reduce curb rash, but went with the cheaper ones, which might be slightly narrower (if I read it right)?
Yes, actually. Correction on my above reply. I did not read it right before :). I went with the cheaper Mercedes spec ones (M01A) but actually they don't narrower when I checked during the install process at Discount Tire.

On the other hand, I did note that the side wall (around the checkered flag in the pic) is a bit softer. When I poked my thumb or finger from the outside on the middle of the sidewall (the checkered side), I could see the impression of the poke on the inner side. Not sure, if this is the norm with the Michelin Summer (or any other tires) or if this particular one which was to the Mercedes AMG GT43/53 spec I guess is made purposely softer. If this is how this is supposed to be, then its fine but I will still be on the lookout. Actually, the Vredestein Wintrac pros seem to have a bit stiffer sidewall than this summer Michelin. Aren't summer tires supposed to have significantly stiffer sidewalls than the all-seasons and the winter tires for better grip on the dry conditions?

One more thing to note is that the curb weight of both the Mercedes AMG 43 (4,553 lbs) and the Tesla Model Y is almost the same (4,555 lbs).

Reactions: towndrunk
Update - change of mind again lol😁 : Called back Tirerack and changed the tires to Michelin Pilot Sport 4S - 265/40-R20 Max Perf. Summer Tires after some research. Here is my reasoning.

Why I cancelled the order for the Vredestein Quatrac Pros:
- The Vredestein Quatrac Pros 275/40-R20 (my original order) weigh at 33lbs per tire (about 4 pound heavier per tire (total 16 pounds) than the stock OEM size Vredesteins at 29lbs/tire). That would be a considerable hit on the range or so I thought. Not worth it.
- The Vredesteins are grand touring tires, and some European reviews show they have so-so dry grip, and low aquaplaning resistance.
Now, why I went with the 265/40-R20 slightly upsized Michelin Pilot Sport 4S.

- The 265 profile is just right for the MY LR 20" inductions. Just a bit wider than the stock 255 width.
- Also, great summer tires and superior dry and wet performance to the Vredestein Quatracs.
- Weight: The Michelin Pilot Sport 4S 265/40-R20 weigh in at 28lbs/per tire so not bad at all.
- Since I already have a dedicated winter tire set (and money spent is not coming back) so might as well keep those for winter and have these for summer. Dedicated sets instead of going all the seasons.

MICHELIN® PILOT® SPORT 4 S 265/40ZR20 (104Y) XL BSW​

Check availability

MSPN
Mileage Warranty
Section Width on Measuring Rim Width
11.0" on 9.5"
Overall Diameter (in)
Max Load, Single (lbs@psi)
1984 @ 50
Sidewall
Black Sidewall
Revs/Miles
Tire Weight (lbs)
Rim Width Range (Min/Max)
9.0-10.5
Tread Depth (in 32nds)

Continental ExtremeContact DWS06 plus
  • Load Index106
  • Speed RatingY
  • Tread Wear560
  • Traction
  • TemperatureA
Article Number15573430000
Approved Rim WidthN/A
Tire Diameter28.7 in
Tire Weight28.7 lbs
Rim ProtectorYes
Max Inflation Pressure51 psi
Side WallBSW
Overall Section Width10.9 (9.5) in
Tread Depth10/32 in
Tire MetricMetricLoad RangeXL
Revs Per Mile725UTQG560 A A

In case you want to try the 275 width next time, here is a great tire, It's light, It's the one i'm running now and the built in rim protector is a nice feature.

Reactions: blueknight99

MICHELIN® PILOT® SPORT 4 S 265/40ZR20 (104Y) XL BSW​

Check availability

MSPN
Mileage

Continental ExtremeContact DWS06 plus
  • Load Index106
  • Speed RatingY
  • Tread Wear560
  • Traction
  • TemperatureA
Article Number15573430000
Approved Rim WidthN/A
Tire Diameter28.7 in
Tire Weight28.7 lbs
Rim ProtectorYes
Max Inflation Pressure51 psi
Side WallBSW
Overall Section Width10.9 (9.5) in
Tread Depth10/32 in
Tire MetricMetricLoad RangeXL
Revs Per Mile725UTQG560 A A

In case you want to try the 275 width next time, here is a great tire, It's light, It's the one i'm running now and the built in rim protector is a nice feature.
Thanks. I already bought the Michelins but will keep in the next time.

Reactions: GreenCoffee