Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best Sunshade For Windshield And Roof?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Reactions: bobbyjae
In my case, lacking a garage and having many trees (and squirrels) I went with this

MITALOO Car Windshield Snow Cover with 4 Layers Protection, Frost Ice Removal Sun Shade for Winter Protection, Extra Large and Thick Windshield Ice Co

It covers the windshield so the car rarely gets warm enough to trigger the cabin overheat settings. It also keeps pine straw and leaves from dropping into the wiper area. Folds up and fits under my seat easily.
It doesn’t get dirty over time? Interesting concept.

Any recommendations? The car is hotter than most on sunny days. Maybe my black on black doesn’t help either.
Have you tried setting Cabin Overheat Protection to the No AC setting. The HVAC fan will run, help lower the cabin temperature without the higher energy use of running the Cabin Overheat Protection with AC. With the AC setting the temperature can be maintained at or under 105F, with the No AC mode the temperature would possibly exceed 120F but no more than many other vehicles. Preconditioning the Tesla via the Tesla app for between 5 and 10 minutes will cool down the cabin before you drive.

Have you tried setting Cabin Overheat Protection to the No AC setting. The HVAC fan will run, help lower the cabin temperature without the higher energy use of running the Cabin Overheat Protection with AC. With the AC setting the temperature can be maintained at or under 105F, with the No AC mode the temperature would possibly exceed 120F but no more than many other vehicles. Preconditioning the Tesla via the Tesla app for between 5 and 10 minutes will cool down the cabin before you drive.
This is only my 2nd week or so. Not sure if Cabin Overheat Protection is on but I will check. Just ordered a windshield cover (Covercraft).

This is only my 2nd week or so. Not sure if Cabin Overheat Protection is on but I will check. Just ordered a windshield cover (Covercraft).
Cabin Overheat Protection settings are found under the Safety & Security Settings. Strange because 105F (the upper temperature threshold for Cabin Overheat Protection with the AC set to run) is in no way a safe temperature for someone left inside a vehicle. Cabin Overheat Protection only remains active for thr first 12 hours after you park the Tesla vehicle. To reset the 12 hour clock you need to drive the Tesla vehicle or remotely unlock, re-lock the doors.

For the windshield, I love the HeatShield brand ones for all my cars... They fit perfectly, and nicely roll up... I've tried other brands, and they either don't fit well, or the material is crap and it starts peeling after a while. I don't have anything for the roof, as I haven't felt I needed anything yet, even in the 118 degree heat we had a little while back... My front windows are tinted with 25% ceramic tint tho. I also disabled cabin overheat... I just turn on climate from my phone about 15 minutes prior to leaving, if I'm parked outside.

I really like the quality and coverage of Covercraft sunshades. It is a little pricier than other designs but offers excellent performance at blocking out heat. I like that I can fold it up easily and quickly, even with a passenger in the front seat, and stow it atop the dashboard for easy access.

Before someone reminds me of the safety risk of the sunshade flying back in an accident, I agree it is possible and I accept the risk. Point is, Covercraft is a great sunshade with perfect custom fit. I have tried the rings, separate squares, and other accordion sunshades but keep coming back to Covercraft for Model S, Model Y, and two previous Lexuses.

146DE042-BEF7-4677-9854-267FE6B73152.jpeg
2848A584-BCE9-48A3-AEA8-54B21B7BECCC.jpeg

I ordered a covercraft premier sunshade, haven't gotten it yet, it is custom made so it takes a few months. have a MSM car and got the white color share to change it up.
True, it can take some time to arrive. Of the four I’ve ordered in the past, three shipped within 7-10 days but one didn’t arrive until 5-6 weeks later (I think it was the blue shade that’s no longer available).

Big fan of covercraft and heatshields (I have owned more than a few) but when need to collapse and throw in the back, space and size can be a challenge. You may have seen those circular/collapsible windshield shades that are kind of handy but thin...I tested 3-4 of this style and settled on the Temai offering. The flexible ring and the material (meshy vs thin gray) are 2-3 times thicker than the competiton. 29 bucks and folds in a circular zippered pouch when not in use.

No affiliation/sponsor, just a fan.

I really like the quality and coverage of Covercraft sunshades. It is a little pricier than other designs but offers excellent performance at blocking out heat. I like that I can fold it up easily and quickly, even with a passenger in the front seat, and stow it atop the dashboard for easy access.

Before someone reminds me of the safety risk of the sunshade flying back in an accident, I agree it is possible and I accept the risk. Point is, Covercraft is a great sunshade with perfect custom fit. I have tried the rings, separate squares, and other accordion sunshades but keep coming back to Covercraft for Model S, Model Y, and two previous Lexuses.

View attachment 722112View attachment 722114
Which model shade is this?

I think I ordered the same. Looking forward to trying it.

Big fan of covercraft and heatshields (I have owned more than a few) but when need to collapse and throw in the back, space and size can be a challenge. You may have seen those circular/collapsible windshield shades that are kind of handy but thin...I tested 3-4 of this style and settled on the Temai offering. The flexible ring and the material (meshy vs thin gray) are 2-3 times thicker than the competiton. 29 bucks and folds in a circular zippered pouch when not in use.

No affiliation/sponsor, just a fan.

I like the lightweight and overall coverage of these; however, they are impossible to put back in the pouch for me. It’s easy for you?

Yeah, that's the one I use - had them on several of my previous cars too, hold up well.