Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best Suspension replacement for the MY?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't love the harshness of the performance package suspension. It feels out of place.

I don't want to sacrifice too much handling, but I'm starting to feel like I care a little more about the comfort than the handling, and want to move towards comfort.

Anyone have suggestions on

1. Good spring/shock combinations that are available for the MY that either have adjustability or are still performant, but much more comfortable? Ride height being the same as PUP is just fine.

2. Are there any other suspension improvements (sway bars? things like that?) that are available for the MY that would make up for more comfortable spring rates?

I've had cars with even lower profile tires than the MY 21", and I know that a lot of the ride quality is attributed to the spring/shocks as well as the tire height. So no, I'm pretty sure just going to 20" isn't going to help as much as getting a milder suspension setup.
Those 21” with tires are a whooping 68 Lbs each, anyways I think I remember reading on here that Cross coilovers gave a better ride.

Here’s some info:

Another very happy MPP Sport coil over owner

Fred

Those 21” with tires are a whooping 68 Lbs each, anyways I think I remember reading on here that Cross coilovers gave a better ride.

Fred

OK, I'm not following.

Anyone else have some thoughts on Unplugged set? Any others?

The unplugged setup is 24 way adjustable. I just want it to be a more comfortable ride and I doubt I'll ever need so much adjustment. Can I really mess up the handling if I adjust it incorrectly, or will the adjustment just help me soften the ride?

OK, I'm not following.

Anyone else have some thoughts on Unplugged set? Any others?

The unplugged setup is 24 way adjustable. I just want it to be a more comfortable ride and I doubt I'll ever need so much adjustment. Can I really mess up the handling if I adjust it incorrectly, or will the adjustment just help me soften the ride?

I don’t have any experience with these coilovers but I do with larger off-road coilovers. Getting the right person to install and adjust them makes all the difference in the world and when it’s set you are done. If I was getting these put on I’d shop around some race shops. Really nice coilovers have a really smooth ride if you ask for them to be set that way.

My 19" wheels ride great. Maybe just swap to a 19" wheel to solve the issue. The better range and less susceptibility to curb rash are added bonuses.

You didn't get the Performance Package right? So it could be both a combination of 19" and the suspension.

I've had a lot of experience with different wheel sizes on different cars, and the biggest change was suspension, not necessarily low-profileness of tires.

You didn't get the Performance Package right? So it could be both a combination of 19" and the suspension.

I've had a lot of experience with different wheel sizes on different cars, and the biggest change was suspension, not necessarily low-profileness of tires.

Good point. It would be interesting to have an AWD and PUP with the same wheels/tires in a side by side ride comfort test.

Going with the coilover route is the best Method as you can tailor the feel and height as you want it. My suggestion is to go visit @UnpluggedP and test out their Y and if you like it...then grab a set and install it while there.

I finally took my car out without the dog and fiance, just me and the road. I went up my favorite mountain pass that I used to frequent with my fun car (a track ready Audi s5), and let's just say I'm not going to be swapping the suspension out anytime soon =)

That handling really surprised me. The lack of body roll was the most surprising, and I love the balance of the car (front/back). These pzero tires are incredible too, I barely felt any slip accelerating hard through turns.

I wasn't driving recklessly, just spirited. And that was all I really needed to figure out if I want to swap them out.

Now... if the unplugged version can give me the same kind of handling with a softer ride, OK. It seems like they can do the same lap times at their firmest setting, so if I really wanted to, I could tune it up before doing a fun drive. To be honest, these fun drives probably wouldn't happen very often in this car.

That's the challenge with performance suspensions. We all like to believe we are carving corners on some mountain road all the time, but the reality is we are commuting, out to eat with the family and running errands 95% (or more) of the time and the "fun" drives are few and far between (God bless you if you are one of the lucky ones). A GOOD performance suspension won't make you regret it in day-to-day driving.

Unfortunately, Tesla can suffer in this area. Indeed, this is the only car forum I can recall being on over the years where the coilover vendors actually push a COMFORT option (vs. the usual sport/track packages you typically see). They "push" it, of course, because so many Model 3 (and, I suspect, soon Model Y) owners are simply unhappy with their car's ride quality from the factory and they request it. Teslas also suffer from poor NVH control which exacerbates the issue from a comfort perspective.

I keep holding out hope for an air suspension option on the Model Y, but look where that got me on the 3...

Reactions: noshadow
We've released our Model Y coilovers, which are more oriented for comfort than outright performance. We find they are pretty capable on track as well although advanced drivers might find them a little soft for dedicated track use. We'll have a performance oriented coilover available in the near future, which will suit drivers looking to maximize the performance of these cars.

If you're looking for the absolute best in performance or comfort, quality coilovers are generally the best solution since they offer better control over bumps than stock suspension systems.

I've seen many forums in here where people state that swapping to smaller (usually 19") wheels and a slightly lower tire pressure helps a TON!
My order has PUP (still waiting on a VIN), but since I'll be using it mostly for business and LOTS of road time, I ordered 19" wheels to replace them upon arrival. I'll probably sell the 21" Uberturbine wheels + tires after my first week/1000 miles is up. (Assuming I keep the car)