Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best Suspension replacement for the MY?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wow, that's great to hear! Thanks
No problem. I saw an earlier question about tire pressure. Currently at 42psi. Going to try posting a photo here too as I think I was still in portobello mode.

Attachments

• BAFD253C-65E9-4F71-BB08-49CD9ED9999D.jpeg
    BAFD253C-65E9-4F71-BB08-49CD9ED9999D.jpeg
    283.5 KB · Views: 254
Chiming in here with 2 cents. I can share my experience with Unplugged Performance’s new “Luxury” coilovers that were recently fitted to my wife’s new Model Y Performance. She had noted the harsh feel of the stock suspension, which seems to be a fairly common. I’m in the so-cal area and decided to have the pros take care of the install at their shop in Hawthorne right next to Space X, the Tesla design center and supercharger. Their website has a link to get referrals if you’re outside the area. They made drop off and check-in a breeze, especially with COVID-friendly precautions that were almost touchless. They knocked it about half a day and worked with us to determine preference for ride height. They provided photos of setup and followed up to make sure we were satisfied. Real solid customer service that kept us updated along the way. The payoff is amazing.! Smooth as glass at low and fwy speeds and softens those harsh jolts, but I was expecting a trade-off on overall handling. I anticipated added body roll and some delay in response when turning in or changing direction. Zero, zip, squat. I don’t sense any trade-off at all. It is the best of both worlds IMHO. Their kit is adjustable and the remote knobs under the frunk top cover are convenient, although they have them setup so well we don’t see the need to adjust anything now. Highly recommended.!1

Did you change the ride height and, if so, did you get the wheels re-aligned? MPP suggests that if the ride height changes by >1 cm, the wheels should be aligned.

Everyone wanting to lower their suspension, but others doing much more interesting things for increasing ride height. You guys go, would be fantastic for you to capture the not insignificant overlander market as well as the usual ho hum go faster sector! All the things and power to you. Nice to confound expectations and offer up alternatives. How about a lovely air suspenson package like the Landrover product line? Would be nice to be able to ride through a little bit of water like they do... and then lower it for sport/highway use, like most European stuff does.
I'm laughing because our two daily cars are my Model Y, which feels like riding in a wooden rollercoaster (especially on NYC streets, they're the worst), and my wife's Range Rover Sport, which feels like riding in a luxury hovercraft no matter what the road looks like. Going from the RRS to the MY is always a jarring and unpleasant experience, and after 5 months of this I am here looking for solutions before my MY gives me sciatica!

I'm laughing because our two daily cars are my Model Y, which feels like riding in a wooden rollercoaster (especially on NYC streets, they're the worst), and my wife's Range Rover Sport, which feels like riding in a luxury hovercraft no matter what the road looks like. Going from the RRS to the MY is always a jarring and unpleasant experience, and after 5 months of this I am here looking for solutions before my MY gives me sciatica!
The spring rates for the model Y are too stiff. A lot of people have gone the unplugged mild/moderate route and says it’s helped out a ton. Not Lexus suspension but not truck either. Also there’s no cure for the rear seat comfy ness as they made that thin to do the fold flat. I hope they reengineer that.

Yeah--I've been reading the threads and see the debates about MPP vs UP coils, etc. These all seem to be by people who know how to install those things themselves, or live in the Bay Area of CA (near the shop, I guess?). How does a non-technical person get new springs/coils installed? Can I just go to a local car repair shop and ask them to do it?

Reactions: Stach
Yeah--I've been reading the threads and see the debates about MPP vs UP coils, etc. These all seem to be by people who know how to install those things themselves, or live in the Bay Area of CA (near the shop, I guess?). How does a non-technical person get new springs/coils installed? Can I just go to a local car repair shop and ask them to do it?

These are installed just like normal suspension would be, but with height adjustment and the shock adjustment. I think most shops could do it, and adjust the height to be the same as before. You can just have the shop set all the shocks to the middle, and tweak it yourself. Some of these speciality shops see this a lot, and can tune it pretty close to what you want right out of the gate, but it's still subjective and you could still adjust it easily yourself.

These are installed just like normal suspension would be, but with height adjustment and the shock adjustment. I think most shops could do it, and adjust the height to be the same as before. You can just have the shop set all the shocks to the middle, and tweak it yourself. Some of these speciality shops see this a lot, and can tune it pretty close to what you want right out of the gate, but it's still subjective and you could still adjust it easily yourself.

Our coilover installation instructions include both spring perch and damper settings so there is no guessing game. I have spent too many hours adjusting coilovers that didn't come with any instructions to do that to our customers!

I believe both have great instructions but both should also be able to possibly direct you to a shop that knows how, there's many in CA and all over. It is a several hour job but pretty straight forward.

Did you change the ride height and, if so, did you get the wheels re-aligned? MPP suggests that if the ride height changes by >1 cm, the wheels should be aligned.

Hey Robo.... yes I asked that the ride height be lowered about an inch. Didn’t want to slam it LOL , just didn’t think truck steps would look cool to accommodate the (hmm hmm) vertically challenged better half let’s say. Don’t quote me I ain’t said $#!7. Reduced aero drag, let’s go with that instead. Previous pic post gives a decent idea looking at the gap around the tires. Yes, camber arms and alignment to boot.

Btw... what’s the over-under on when factory, or aftermarket, air suspension becomes available to take advantage of those mount points Sandy Monroe discovered during his tear down? If you’re interested in what makes the Y so special, have a peek at his You Tube channel. Incredibly informative and shows how far Tesla has come in such a relatively short time.

Cheers....

Reactions: VikH
I live also in NYC just swap the wheels to 20/19 will be much better ride I swap to 20 an i love it

I live also in NYC just swap the wheels to 20/19 will be much better ride I swap to 20 an i love it
What’s best about this setup is that you have more spring to travel for bumps and can dampen. Adding spacers seems like an afterthought and it doesn’t solve the stiff spring rate problem from factory. So from stock height to 4“ over this should satisfy the other end of the spectrum of MY owners.

Looking at this, it just screams how much the air suspension in the Land Rover or Porsche and many other European products works so well - dropping down for on road, and raising for off-road. Thats why the Rivian and other products will do so well. Its a shame the Model X doesnt have the off road chops of the new boys and their air suspension. Maybe Cybertruck will be hardened up enough to compete, I hope so.

Air suspension that is properly integrated (like the Germans or JLR products) is how it should be (if you havent tried its a revelation compared to conventional shocks)- but if you are off road or using this on rutted roads or dirt tracks etc. most of the time, the UP looks like a really nice way to go.... nice to have options.

But that Defender looks really good, just wish it had the Tesla drive train..

Chiming in here with 2 cents. I can share my experience with Unplugged Performance’s new “Luxury” coilovers that were recently fitted to my wife’s new Model Y Performance. She had noted the harsh feel of the stock suspension, which seems to be a fairly common. I’m in the so-cal area and decided to have the pros take care of the install at their shop in Hawthorne right next to Space X, the Tesla design center and supercharger. Their website has a link to get referrals if you’re outside the area. They made drop off and check-in a breeze, especially with COVID-friendly precautions that were almost touchless. They knocked it about half a day and worked with us to determine preference for ride height. They provided photos of setup and followed up to make sure we were satisfied. Real solid customer service that kept us updated along the way. The payoff is amazing.! Smooth as glass at low and fwy speeds and softens those harsh jolts, but I was expecting a trade-off on overall handling. I anticipated added body roll and some delay in response when turning in or changing direction. Zero, zip, squat. I don’t sense any trade-off at all. It is the best of both worlds IMHO. Their kit is adjustable and the remote knobs under the frunk top cover are convenient, although they have them setup so well we don’t see the need to adjust anything now. Highly recommended.!1
Would you mind sharing pictures of the adjustment knobs?