Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best Suspension settings?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
hi all -

I have a November 2018 build MX75d.

I have read some threads here that indicate that driving in a suspension above “low” has the potential to, over time, lead to acceleration shudder when accelerating between 40 - 60 mph due to stress on the half shafts.

When I asked my service center about this, they indicated that “speed” was hard on the half shafts, and that half shaft acceleration shudder they was considered normal and not a warranty item. They declined to specify what “fast” meant - accelerating quickly? Driving over 50? Over 70? Over 90?

Because I don’t want the shudder to appear - this car has enough squeaks and rattles already - I’ve been driving everywhere on low. I’m now worried I’m shortening my tire life, and I’ve also noticed that when I do put it in “normal” the ride is substantially smoother and more comfortable. On low I feel every tiny bump in the road.

Should I be leaving my car on “always low”? Is having the suspension set to lower above 50 going to lead to half shaft shudder?

Is it speed or acceleration that damages the half shafts? If acceleration, how does anyone stand to drive a P100d?

Thanks for any insight!

I have an Sept '17 X100D. I had my first half-shaft replacement at 3900 miles and prior to that had been driving at standard height with auto-lower to low at 45 or 50mph. As a first time Tesla owner, I was really enjoying the acceleration. Since then, and after reading many forum posts on the subject, I've changed my suspension settings to leave it on low full-time. I had my second front half-shaft replacement done at 19.5k miles after the shudder returned. Both times it was noticeable for me between 45-55mph while gradually accelerating to speed - worse if I was accelerating quickly. I've now got about 36k miles on the car and so far, things are going well.

As far as tire wear is concerned (I have 20"), I did have my two front tires replaced at 19.5k miles at the same time I had the half-shafts done. I beat them up during a high performance driving event I did which I think was why they needed it and were much worse than the rears). The Tesla service center did say at the time the fronts probably had some life left in them, but based on the wear to-date, they thought it was better to proactively replace them in advance of when I'd next likely be in (and I didn't argue the point). At 36k now, I'm getting ready to finally replace the rears while the fronts are still doing ok. I think the wear I have had on the tires is normal/expected based on driving habits, and not due to suspension height / camber issues.

Reactions: Bprdwa
All done under warranty - zero cost, and for my service center, no push-back saying it's "normal" for the car. I've seen a number of other owners describe this experience at their local service centers. My opinion is enjoy the car, including the acceleration even if it may shorten the life of the front half-shafts leading to replacement early in the warranty life of the car as this should always, in my opinion, be considered warranty work for at least within the new car warranty period. I'm not sure Tesla will continue to fix this post-warranty at no cost, although I'd like to see them do so until a permanent fix exists (if one ever does). It's unfortunate this design flaw exists in this amazing vehicle.

Reactions: Bprdwa
I have an Sept '17 X100D. I had my first half-shaft replacement at 3900 miles and prior to that had been driving at standard height with auto-lower to low at 45 or 50mph. As a first time Tesla owner, I was really enjoying the acceleration. Since then, and after reading many forum posts on the subject, I've changed my suspension settings to leave it on low full-time. I had my second front half-shaft replacement done at 19.5k miles after the shudder returned. Both times it was noticeable for me between 45-55mph while gradually accelerating to speed - worse if I was accelerating quickly. I've now got about 36k miles on the car and so far, things are going well.

As far as tire wear is concerned (I have 20"), I did have my two front tires replaced at 19.5k miles at the same time I had the half-shafts done. I beat them up during a high performance driving event I did which I think was why they needed it and were much worse than the rears). The Tesla service center did say at the time the fronts probably had some life left in them, but based on the wear to-date, they thought it was better to proactively replace them in advance of when I'd next likely be in (and I didn't argue the point). At 36k now, I'm getting ready to finally replace the rears while the fronts are still doing ok. I think the wear I have had on the tires is normal/expected based on driving habits, and not due to suspension height / camber issues.
How do you set the suspension to low as the the default?
Also I thought it would be good for Tesla to add a “macro button” so we could drag some custom settings into it then press that button to set multiple items or run a script since it’s a computer.

Leaving the X on the LOW setting will wear out your tires faster than a cheeta with his ass on fire.

Sad news folks. As stated running the X on LOW setting wears our your tires in about 19,000 miles. Had a Continental blow out while running on LOW. It was not a pretty site. Steel all over. Pressed the edge of the limit when TESLA flat bed towed me 48 miles. BTW. Continenntal did not honor warranty. Hate Continental, Love Pirelli All Season Verde. Have 20K miles on a pair and they are still at a 7 tire rating. Guaranteed 60,000 miles! And $222 at Discount Tire.

The WORST news is this! Drove an out of the box 2019 MODEL X yesterday with 167 miles on it. It had adaptive leveling. Max acceleration from 0 and guess what.? You guessed it. SHUDDERED like a wet dog shakin'. Even the salesman experienced it - for the first time.

Ordered a new Model X yesterday and hope the Engineers have worked out the SHUDDER on the Performance Ludicrous Mode. Come on engineers. Adaptive leveling is nice, but you've had three years to fix the damn shudder.

Let's see to take off from a light next to a Corvette, first you need to lower the suspension to LOW, then you need to ENGAGE the LUDICROUS mode, then you need to wait 30 min for the battery to warm up and by the time you look up you are racing a Prius!

hi all -

I have a November 2018 build MX75d.

I have read some threads here that indicate that driving in a suspension above “low” has the potential to, over time, lead to acceleration shudder when accelerating between 40 - 60 mph due to stress on the half shafts.

When I asked my service center about this, they indicated that “speed” was hard on the half shafts, and that half shaft acceleration shudder they was considered normal and not a warranty item. They declined to specify what “fast” meant - accelerating quickly? Driving over 50? Over 70? Over 90?

Because I don’t want the shudder to appear - this car has enough squeaks and rattles already - I’ve been driving everywhere on low. I’m now worried I’m shortening my tire life, and I’ve also noticed that when I do put it in “normal” the ride is substantially smoother and more comfortable. On low I feel every tiny bump in the road.

Should I be leaving my car on “always low”? Is having the suspension set to lower above 50 going to lead to half shaft shudder?

Is it speed or acceleration that damages the half shafts? If acceleration, how does anyone stand to drive a P100d?

Thanks for any insight!

[QUOTE="Scott Fairchild, post: 3695226, member: 44843Continenntal did not honor warranty. Hate Continental, Love Pirelli All Season Verde. Have 20K miles on a pair and they are still at a 7 tire rating. Guaranteed 60,000 miles! And $222 at Discount Tire.
[/QUOTE]
yup, that's my experience as well. exactly as u quote

A car is not supposed to shudder while accelerating, especially one designed to accelerate 0-60 in under 5 seconds. If you are under warranty, I would throw a major scene at the shop if they didn't cover this under warranty. The parts and/or design are clearly DEFECTIVE. Ask service this... if shuddering while accelerating is considered normal in a Tesla, which is not considered normal in any other vehicle, can you please show me where Tesla disclosed this issue at the time of purchase? If they still decline, I would involve your state's Attorney General's Office.

Tesla is behaving egregiously with regard to warranty repairs and this needs to stop.

Seriously? I heard differently...

Very Seriously.... Had the Pirelli's on my 2016 and they performed flawlessly. Really noticed the negative difference when returning to the Continentals on the new 2019 MX LR LUDICROUS. Even though the suspension is improved, the Continentals squeal when cornering and leave me feeling like I have less tire stability.

Get this. In for service at 1,453 miles on new 2019 MX LR LUD and standard tire check revealed that the Continental's were at a tire rating of 7 after 1,453 miles. What's that all about? Aren't they supposed to come in at 10 when new? Guess new buyers should add that to the delivery checklist. Ya' think Continental makes a special tire with less tread for delivery on new cars. Wouldn't be surprised.

Actually, OK with me. I can get rid of these substandard tires earlier. Had a blow out my Continentals at 19,000 miles and had to be flat bedded. Had to replace all four. Fortunately, found the Pirellis at $220 ea at Discount Tire vs Continentals at TESLA for over $400. When I sold my 2016, it had over 60,000 miles on it. The rear Pirelli's had 20,000 miles on them and still had 7 remaining in tread.

Let's see: Continental 1,453 to 7 tread Pirelli 20,000 miles to 7 tread. You make the call. Buyer beware.