Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best Tesla Body Shop in LA to Fix Paint Defects

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All, anyone with experience with the body shops Tesla sends their car to? At delivery I found 3 paint defects on hood , passenger door, and trunk. Kinda took the excitement out of the delivery and got really distracted from checking the interior.

When I got home I noticed my charger cables and the trim that covers it was also missing.

Upon further inspection the A pillar has a huge spot with no clear coat , looks like they were fixing a paint defect and burned thru the clear and left it like that , matte and dull.

More defects all along the quarter panel and trunk edge, tons of chips that were fixed with TOUCH UP PAINT!!! I recently turned in my first lease and the inspector said never use touch up paint as the leasing company considers that a substandard repair.

Just annoying as the defects are very big but bunch of tiny ones all over. 1 maybe 2 fish eye defects I can understand but so many and chips fixed with touch up is a lot.

Tesla is sending my car to body shop soon so trying to figure out which one in SoCal is best , I am willing to drive and drop off anywhere in the LA and OC area.

AD4BCE55-A688-4802-86EB-4EB33E213559.jpeg
45D5EE4B-C563-452B-9176-2D5E27E1322E.jpeg
2990FC45-EACB-4F48-AB1B-F60841719BA3.jpeg
72F8BD0F-D1AE-4F6D-BAB2-2DEBDB57FF59.jpeg
5EAA5C62-048F-4173-A6C2-600ED7B97C83.jpeg
D01AFD0F-860E-4B53-9C7A-2F1DE4F64B7A.jpeg
9CFCBCE8-A01A-4FE5-9F2D-43C8A308D50A.jpeg
59893BE4-DF2F-4944-8DD6-E13D9F712266.jpeg
A28CAC08-8B5B-4A11-9E40-66FB2432B59C.jpeg
AD4BCE55-A688-4802-86EB-4EB33E213559.jpeg
45D5EE4B-C563-452B-9176-2D5E27E1322E.jpeg
2990FC45-EACB-4F48-AB1B-F60841719BA3.jpeg
72F8BD0F-D1AE-4F6D-BAB2-2DEBDB57FF59.jpeg
5EAA5C62-048F-4173-A6C2-600ED7B97C83.jpeg
D01AFD0F-860E-4B53-9C7A-2F1DE4F64B7A.jpeg
9CFCBCE8-A01A-4FE5-9F2D-43C8A308D50A.jpeg
59893BE4-DF2F-4944-8DD6-E13D9F712266.jpeg

Talk with Avio Coachworks on the west side. They were recommended by Tesla.

Also, to see what a master detailer might be able to do as an alternative, consider talking with Ryan at Extreme Autowerks, which just moved from Cerritos to Brea.

Good luck.

Meet with Gio today and it looks like 3/4 of the car will need to get resprayed , he found about 10 more spots that I missed

1. Hood discoloration in the base coat
2. Trunk discoloration in the base coat
3. Driver side rear door burned thru clear
4. Driver side A pillar burned thru clear
5. Passenger side C pillar looks repaired and has 2 shades of silver
6. Driver side rear door chip
7. Driver side door jamb chip
8. Passenger side quarter panel chip and touched up and a few fish eyes
9. Passenger side A pillar bubble in paint
10. Passenger side door has a paint flake that was cleared over

So he said the hood, both pillars, rear quarter panel , trunk , driver side rear door, all needs work

On the bright side he said it’s the most aligned panel gaps he has seen so far

Tried to talk to the manager at Burbank about other options like them taking it back and ordering another or credit back for the crappy paint, but they didn’t budge and want to fix it , not thrilled about having the factory paint redone

Tried to talk to the manager at Burbank about other options like them taking it back and ordering another or credit back for the crappy paint, but they didn’t budge and want to fix it , not thrilled about having the factory paint redone
Tell the body shop to change the color to something else that's more unique for the 3, and tell the SC guys that they're paying for the whole thing to be redone. Unless, of course, you're happy with that *exact* color you got. :)

From your pics, some of the defects are obvious but I can't see some of them. If any are on the inner part of the trunk lid, I wouldn't bother.

I don't claim to know much about regarding (aftermarket) body shops and the work they can/can't do when it comes to metal, but if they can't apply the paint with an electrostatic process (e.g. Automotive Paint) to metal, I don't think what you'll get will be as good as the factory paint in terms of longevity. For non-metal parts, you'll probably be fine w/the body shop.

Someone please correct me if I'm way off here.

Who do I talk to to get it escalated, CS phone number?

Wonder if they can repaint the whole car in the silver that was on the prototype , it is definitely not the same , another bait and switch, first the silver color is different and second the alcantara headliner delete

If you’re looking still looking for some quality workmanship, you can try Auto Explosion in Gardena. They have done quite a few custom Teslas. They do exceptional work. Most of their business is show cars, full custom body and paint, but they do everything in between.

Ask for Damien.

Looks like the car will go to the body shop today or tomorrow after getting the autopilot fixed. They were initially going to send it to DC autocraft but now they said they might send it to All City Collision since they got a few spray booth ? On Yelp, the Burbank location is closed so not sure where it’s going at this point

Hey guys, I received mine on 9/19/18 and had similar blemishes and imperfections as in the pictures posted above. I pointed them all out at the delivery station and they took all of the pictures. Said to call the Burbank service center so they could get it in to get it all fixed. I did that and they had the DC Autocraft folks work on it. They tried to buff out the scratches/blemishes w/o success. So they are now doing a full factory repaint which they said takes 2-3weeks. I asked if they were planning to remove all old paint and do a full clean paint job. Waiting to hear if that is what they do. I sure hope so as I heard your value goes down if they paintbover old paint. I imagined so as a 2-3 week job seemed like a lengthy job that would include the paint removal. I am scheduled to get it back on 10/19. I will report back after getting it and will post pictures. Thx.

Hey guys, I received mine on 9/19/18 and had similar blemishes and imperfections as in the pictures posted above. I pointed them all out at the delivery station and they took all of the pictures. Said to call the Burbank service center so they could get it in to get it all fixed. I did that and they had the DC Autocraft folks work on it. They tried to buff out the scratches/blemishes w/o success. So they are now doing a full factory repaint which they said takes 2-3weeks. I asked if they were planning to remove all old paint and do a full clean paint job. Waiting to hear if that is what they do. I sure hope so as I heard your value goes down if they paintbover old paint. I imagined so as a 2-3 week job seemed like a lengthy job that would include the paint removal. I am scheduled to get it back on 10/19. I will report back after getting it and will post pictures. Thx.
How do they do a “factory” repaint?

Also, what color and VIN range are you?

Looks like the car will go to the body shop today or tomorrow after getting the autopilot fixed. They were initially going to send it to DC autocraft but now they said they might send it to All City Collision since they got a few spray booth ? On Yelp, the Burbank location is closed so not sure where it’s going at this point

Hey Curious, sent you a PM to see if your M3 got sent to All City Collision and did they do a good job?