Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best Tesla M3P performance tyres

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

avfcbez

M3P MULTICOAT RED
Mar 4, 2022
uk
Rear tyres looking to be replaced shortly, Pirelli P zeros on the front, Michelin pilot sport 4s on rears 🤷‍♂️ Came set up when I brought it.

what are others running and what would you recommend when replacing the rears.

Previously ran P Zeros all round on the 911, so should I replace with P Zeros or run the MPS4s again on rears or match all 4 corners ?

mainly motorway/highways during the week days urban streets weekends

open to suggestions

Kind regards

AVFCBEZ

Rear tyres looking to be replaced shortly, Pirelli P zeros on the front, Michelin pilot sport 4s on rears 🤷‍♂️ Came set up when I brought it.

Previously ran P Zeros all round on the 911, so should I replace with P Zeros or run the MPS4s again on rears or match all 4 corners ?

open to suggestions

Kind regards

AVFCBEZ

The PS4S is a much better tire. If you do a search most lamented when Tesla switched to the Pirellis.

Reactions: Sam1
Bridgestone Potenza Sport were a nice performance upgrade over the stock Pirelli PS4 for me. Easily better grip wet and dry, and much less squealing. I did switch from 235/35R20 on 20x9" wheels (stock) to 245/45R18 on 18x8.5" wheels.

Thanks all will defo look at the MPS4 cups, but OMG do you pay a lot in the states for your rubber.

Works out about $100 cheaper in UK, shall we set up transatlantic tire company 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Reactions: Young Phenom
@avfcbez PSCup2 would be silly and a waste of money for street use. That's a tire made to set fast racetrack lap times in the dry, when heated up, and not much else. I doubt it would even grip as well cold as a more street-friendly performance tire.

The OP didn't even mention any track use. Even if the OP was planning on some track days with a DD there are much more appropriate tires for dual use street+track that will last longer at both, and in some cases handle rain a lot better as well.

Absolutely do not get the Cup2 tires. My C7 Z06 with Z07 package came with Cup2 tires. They were awful in the rain, they heat-cycled and lost grip far before losing all the tread, and they have terrible communication to the driver. Once I was done with them I put PS4 on and it was such an upgrade. The sole reason I haven't ordered the track package from Tesla for the 3 is I don't want to deal with the Cup2 tires.

These just arrived today for my 2021 with stock Ubers. I did a ton of research. The 235 is stock size. Some people are into 255 but it didn't add much tread but added a lot of weight. I found the 245 to be the sweetspot. I've been running 245 Winters and they look great.

Pay a few extra bucks for the K1 Ferrari spec tires. The tread is a touch wider and they weigh a pound less.

Enjoy!

Best,
Gene

Screen Shot 2022-04-02 at 10.34.54 PM.png

7ff72bc0-9381-4d91-8778-55d25b1aded0_screenshot.jpg

Reactions: tm1v2
My M3P needs tires as well and I'm looking to install replacement PS4S on there. Does anyone know of a source for those (and specifically, the "T0" Tesla variant) in the U.S. mid-Atlantic region? I've not been able to find any in stock for 2 months so far.

open to suggestions

Kind regards

AVFCBEZ

First thing I did was take my car to the shop with 50 miles on it and have those garbage pirellis removed and a set of PS4S installed. The M3P is a heavy car, those Pirellis feel like marshmallows on there - I also tried a set of PZ4 Sport on a set of 18" track wheels for the M3P and they also felt horrible. Switched them back to PS4S too. Assuming the sidewall on those pirelli are just not designed to support such a heavy car, the PS4S will.

Reactions: phantasms
My M3P needs tires as well and I'm looking to install replacement PS4S on there. Does anyone know of a source for those (and specifically, the "T0" Tesla variant) in the U.S. mid-Atlantic region? I've not been able to find any in stock for 2 months so far.
if you can't find the 235/35/20 t0 spec, go on ebay and order a set of 245/35/20 non-t0 spec and those are about as close as you can get to the t0 spec tires.

Reactions: phantasms
your lack of MPS4S up front was the issue.

with my hellcat, i did MPS4S up front with drag radials in the rear... hook up and make the turn lol

tried the hankook rs4 in 265 when michelins were Back Ordered.
those hooked and tracked great, decent in rain, predictable and stable.
just went through Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar 3s in 265(again, michelines were BO when i needed them), and great tire....but those camaro guys were right about cold performance. They were decent in rain but terrible after 3k miles lol

the MPS4S in 265 18 that i just put on... WOW. im 200% positive those are the best summer daily tires you can find in the world.

treadwear and performance that dont physically relate to anything else on the market.

your lack of MPS4S up front was the issue.

with my hellcat, i did MPS4S up front with drag radials in the rear... hook up and make the turn lol

tried the hankook rs4 in 265 when michelins were Back Ordered.
those hooked and tracked great, decent in rain, predictable and stable.
just went through Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar 3s in 265(again, michelines were BO when i needed them), and great tire....but those camaro guys were right about cold performance. They were decent in rain but terrible after 3k miles lol

the MPS4S in 265 18 that i just put on... WOW. im 200% positive those are the best summer daily tires you can find in the world.

treadwear and performance that dont physically relate to anything else on the market.

The continental sportcontact 6 is also a sticky ass daily driver tire too. Little more flex on the dive into a turn than the ps4s, but predictable and when it sets in, it stays.

Reactions: tm1v2
The continental sportcontact 6 is also a sticky ass daily driver tire too. Little more flex on the dive into a turn than the ps4s, but predictable and when it sets in, it stays.
I liked the Conti SC6 too, from testing a car that came with them. Just two brief test drives so I can't give a full review/comparison, but they seems good and they gripped better than the PZ4 at least. (That car was almost 4700 lbs on 245s and felt like it out-gripped the PZ4 equipped M3P.)

Conti SC6 has limited size availability though, I think it's an OE focused tire, kind of like the Michelin PS4. Whereas Conti ECS is their tire aimed at the broader market like Michelin PS4S, Bridgestone Potenza Sport, etc. I haven't used the ECS though.

Reactions: Sam1
@David M3P Michelin seems to be having production or supply chain issues across the board lately, it's not just one specific tire size / model that they've been struggling to keep in stock.

If you're looking for another good "max performance" category tire, my efficiency went up when I switched from the OE Pirelli PZ4 to the Bridgestone Potenza Sport, and I got significantly more grip too dry and wet.

However I also switched to smaller diameter, lighter wheels at the same time, which in this case probably helped efficiency more than the choice of tire, but at least it seems the Potenza Sports didn't make consumption worse (while at the same time giving better performance).