Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, I have a very robust solar system at my home in Northern California. I know, typically, most charge their EV overnight--much like a mobile phone. However, because my solar is generating the most energy between 1-4 pm, I'm wondering when the best time to charge my Tesla. I'm home throughout the day and, obviously, overnight.

You can schedule your X to charge between 1 and 4 pm to draw from the panels if you can be home with your Tesla during the day. However, not sure how "robust" your solar system is rated.

I have the HPWC and the 72 amp charger upgrade on my X75D so it would draw about 15 kWh during max charging rate. With my 18 kWh solar system from Solar City, I could actually charge all from the solar panels during the day, unfortunately, I have to take my X75D out during the day. I have time of use plan with my utility (APS) where 7 pm to Noon (including weekends), my rates are down to $0.03 per kWh. To fully charge my X75D, I only pay about $2 when charging overnight during the week.

I've also reserved two PowerWall 2.0 to help offset night time usage with the hot summer nights in Arizona.

Hope this helps!

It all depends on your rate schedule. In my case, I'm on a net metered time of use plan with a super off-peak rate for EV charging and, as a result, letting the PVs feed to the grid at the highest rates during the day and charging at the lowest rates at night makes the most financial sense.

Reactions: Topher
My robust solar panels produce more power than I use every year. Including powering a house, well, and septic pumps, it charges my car. Since I am on TOU as a solar customer (EV-A with PG&E), they give me more credit for power generated during their peak. If I charge my car then, essentially I am using more expensive power, and I get less money back at the end of the year. I charge my car after their peak, using cheaper power (since I'm grid tied) and keep my credit for expensive power.

Peak power is three times more expensive than off peak here. I can charge any time, but if I charge only during peak, when I'm generating, I would end up having to pay them back. "Buy low, sell high". If I generate power from 11AM to 6PM, and peak is 3PM to 8PM, I can charge until 3PM. At than point, the next 3 hours give me 9 hours credit, so I let the neighbors with the big houses, big TVs and big ACs use it.

I haven't paid an electricity bill in a dozen years. And I get a couple hundred back most years. Panels were paid for by what would have been electric bills, and paid off a half dozen years ago. Works for me.

• Informative
Reactions: passcore and EinSV
My robust solar panels produce more power than I use every year. Including powering a house, well, and septic pumps, it charges my car. Since I am on TOU as a solar customer (EV-A with PG&E), they give me more credit for power generated during their peak. If I charge my car then, essentially I am using more expensive power, and I get less money back at the end of the year. I charge my car after their peak, using cheaper power (since I'm grid tied) and keep my credit for expensive power.

Peak power is three times more expensive than off peak here. I can charge any time, but if I charge only during peak, when I'm generating, I would end up having to pay them back. "Buy low, sell high". If I generate power from 11AM to 6PM, and peak is 3PM to 8PM, I can charge until 3PM. At than point, the next 3 hours give me 9 hours credit, so I let the neighbors with the big houses, big TVs and big ACs use it.

I haven't paid an electricity bill in a dozen years. And I get a couple hundred back most years. Panels were paid for by what would have been electric bills, and paid off a half dozen years ago. Works for me.

Great information. Looks like I need to determine how PG&E labels and quantifies different periods of the day.

I think you are providing false information. PGE does not refund money, they give you credit of about 10% of money left over at true up time to be used towards the next years basic charges of gas and electric.